Author Topic: Brand?  (Read 81429 times)

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
Re: Brand?
« Reply #30 on: July 08, 2008, 09:01:03 AM »
If we give away Booth and Carney, their cap number goes to Brands contract.

Offline johnny broad-street

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: July 08, 2008, 09:03:09 AM »
I would think a Brand addition would make us less of a running team and more of an athletic inside-out team. A solid player like Brand helps dictate your style

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 08, 2008, 09:03:24 AM »

Also, my friend described Elton Brand as a slightly better defensively version of Zach Randolph.  That certainly put a damper on things.

Unless Brand is slowed by his achilles, your friend is wrong.  Just look at the numbers, or better yet, watch Brand play.  He is a great shot blocker, and has quick feet and bulk on defense.  

Of those three characteristics, Zach only brings bulk to the equatioon.

jemagee

« Reply #33 on: July 08, 2008, 09:04:13 AM »
Except the sixers will still have no 3 point shooters.

Again, if the trade with the wolves involves a trade exception, how much cap room can the sixers truly get?

I'm starting to worry more and more that landing brand is landing a name and not the right player

jemagee

« Reply #34 on: July 08, 2008, 09:04:39 AM »

If we trade them for a trade exception?

That's where I'm confused

Offline DuckyNinja

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #35 on: July 08, 2008, 09:11:51 AM »

If we trade them for a trade exception?

That's where I'm confused

They're not trading them for a trade exception.  Every trade involving salaries (so like, not cash for pick) moving generates a trade exception equal to the difference in salaries for the team getting less salary.  It's how GS ended up with a 10 mil trade exception for the Richardson for Wright trade last year.  Trade exceptions are completely separate from the cap.

jemagee

« Reply #36 on: July 08, 2008, 09:14:06 AM »
Yes, I'm aware of that, but the quotes talk about the trade exception from the minnesota timberwolves, it doesn't talk about cap room, trade exceptions are used in trades...either it's bad writing by stein or a bad interpretation of cap room.

How much cap room do the wolves have, anyone know?

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 08, 2008, 09:19:13 AM »
Yes, I'm aware of that, but the quotes talk about the trade exception from the minnesota timberwolves, it doesn't talk about cap room, trade exceptions are used in trades...either it's bad writing by stein or a bad interpretation of cap room.

How much cap room do the wolves have, anyone know?

If I understand correctly, the Wolves don't have cap space, but they can take on additional salary because they have a trade exception.

I don't think the deal is to give Philly the trade exception.  The deal would be Minny using their trade exception to absorb the contracts of Philly's players.  sort of like when Philly traded Henderson to Utah.  We got nothing back other than finatial relief.  Utah used their trade excepption to allow them to absorb his salary even when Utah was already over the cap.

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #38 on: July 08, 2008, 09:20:48 AM »
This is my understanding as well

jemagee

« Reply #39 on: July 08, 2008, 09:22:09 AM »
My understanding of trade exceptions is that when you use them they switch teams...i might be wrong though...bodner knows best :)

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 08, 2008, 09:24:56 AM »
My understanding of trade exceptions is that when you use them they switch teams...i might be wrong though...bodner knows best :)

You could be right- and I hope you are.

This link makes it sound like Philly gets the 5.3 Mill exception.  :http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=Av3uph1dO2zrzatTgXw0WA2kvLYF?slug=aw-phillytrade070608&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

Maybe that means Philly could use some of it to sign additional role players (above the min) to fill out their roster- maybe someone like Rojer Mason Jr.?  Or maybe we could trade it to he Clippers for Jordan and Knight- although I doubt the Clips would return phone calls form the Sixers if they lost Brand.

Offline shadowTerp

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 08, 2008, 09:31:47 AM »
Maybe that means Philly could use some of it to sign additional role players (above the min) to fill out their roster- maybe someone like Roger Mason Jr.?
yes, please... although with green we don't need another 2 (although mason is much better).

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #42 on: July 08, 2008, 09:32:14 AM »
The only downturn is if we don't land Brand and Smith gets matched.....then what? We're back at plan C with slightly more money and no real targets to be excited about.

(Just realized I posted this on the wrong thread earlier...)

Offline Skates

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 08, 2008, 09:36:22 AM »
20.  How do exceptions count against the cap?  Does being under the cap always mean that a team has room to sign free agents?  Do teams ever lose their exceptions?

If a team is below the cap, then their Disabled Player, Bi-Annual, Mid-Level and/or Traded Player exceptions are added to their team salary, and the league treats the team as though they are over the cap.  This is to prevent a loophole, in a manner similar to free agent amounts (see question numbers 29, 30, 31, 32).  A team can't act like they're under the cap and sign free agents using cap room, and then use their Disabled Player, Bi-Annual, Mid-Level and/or Traded Player exceptions.  Consequently, the exceptions are added to their team salary (putting the team over the cap) if the team is under the cap and adding the exceptions puts them over the cap.  If a team is already over the cap, then the exceptions are not added to their team salary.  There would be no point in doing so, since there is no cap room for signing free agents.
So it is not true that being under the cap necessarily means a team has room to sign free agents.  For example, assume the cap is $49.5 million, and a team has $43 million committed to salaries.  They also have a Mid-Level exception for $5 million and a Traded Player exception for $5.5 million.  Even though their salaries put them $6.5 million under the cap, their exceptions are added to their salaries, putting them at $53.5 million, or $4 million over the cap.  So they actually have no cap room to sign free agents, and must instead use their exceptions.

Teams have the option of renouncing their exceptions in order to claim the cap room.  So in the example above, if the team renounced their Traded Player and Mid-Level exceptions, then the $10.5 million is taken off their team salary, which then totals $43 million, leaving them with $6.5 million of cap room which can then be used to sign free agent(s).

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
« Reply #44 on: July 08, 2008, 09:36:23 AM »

No.  Trade exceptions don't change teams.  They just allow you to receive more salary than you send out.  We would receive one, but it would be because we sent out more salary than we took back, not because we would be receiving the wolves.