Author Topic: Blur lyrics  (Read 2347 times)

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
Blur lyrics
« on: July 06, 2008, 06:45:52 PM »
Even tho this is super simple chording, i still like the sound.  They and Weezer have some similiarities.

Q.  What are these lyrics about?
westkoast I'm thinking you are a likely candidate to be in touch with the urban lingo involved.
Keeping it in context what is this old hit song about?

I got my head checked
By a jumbo jet
It wasnt easy
But nothing is, no

When I feel heavy metal
And Im pins and Im needles
Well I lie and Im easy
All of the time but Im never sure when I need you
Pleased to meet you

I got my head done
When I was young
Its not my problem
Its not my problem

When I feel heavy metal
And Im pins and Im needles
Well I lie and Im easy
All of the time but Im never sure when I need you
Pleased to meet you

Yeah, yeah
Yeah, yeah
Yeah, yeah
Oh, yeah

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Blur lyrics
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2008, 12:26:18 PM »
I have no clue and I don't see anything 'urban' in the lyrics either.  If anything it sounds like a song about drugs/abusing alcohol.
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

jemagee

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2008, 01:59:14 PM »
Mental Illness and/or drugs?

Offline jn

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2008, 02:32:18 PM »
Ok here goes.   The part about getting my head done when I was young and it's not my problem are a derisive reference to seeing a psychologist or some such counselor as a youth and the counselor blamed society or the parents, rather than the patient.

The heavy metal and needles part is probably a drug reference, probably heroin.  The "I lie and I'm easy" part having two meanings relating to drugs. Meaning he doesn't tell the truth and literally physically just lies around, two traits of the junkie.   The easy part perhaps implying both promiscuity and the fact that a person who has drugs is a lot easier to deal with than person who is desperately jonesing.  Never know when I need you is probably  about not knowing when the jones is going to kick in.

No idea about the jumbo jet, unless that's a metaphor for heroin.
"My only regret in life is that I did not drink more champagne."  -John Maynard Keynes

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2008, 03:07:46 PM »
Ok here goes.   The part about getting my head done when I was young and it's not my problem are a derisive reference to seeing a psychologist or some such counselor as a youth and the counselor blamed society or the parents, rather than the patient.

The heavy metal and needles part is probably a drug reference, probably heroin.  The "I lie and I'm easy" part having two meanings relating to drugs. Meaning he doesn't tell the truth and literally physically just lies around, two traits of the junkie.   The easy part perhaps implying both promiscuity and the fact that a person who has drugs is a lot easier to deal with than person who is desperately jonesing.  Never know when I need you is probably  about not knowing when the jones is going to kick in.

No idea about the jumbo jet, unless that's a metaphor for heroin.

I took the jumbo jet reference as the person was HIGH

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2008, 10:36:19 AM »
goodness  :o
Urabandictionary.com jumbo jet
Lets hope this is not how the Brits use the term.

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2008, 01:09:40 PM »
goodness  :o
Urabandictionary.com jumbo jet
Lets hope this is not how the Brits use the term.

Not quite sure why you keep saying that Blur makes 'urban' music...they dont

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2008, 03:21:14 PM »
I didn't know or Blur made urban music either.

by "urban" i simply meant "slang" or "code" for the lyrics Blur used.

www urban dictionary com

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2008, 04:04:06 PM »
I didn't know or Blur made urban music either.

by "urban" i simply meant "slang" or "code" for the lyrics Blur used.

www urban dictionary com

I think the word you were looking for were 'metaphors' and not 'urban'

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2008, 04:09:28 PM »
So, using the urban dictionary defs of "jumbo jet", are Blur flamers or was their therapist simply a very overweight person?

jn i liked your descriptions of possible meanings very much.  What is your take now that the urban dictionary jumbo jet is added in?

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2008, 05:18:28 PM »
So, using the urban dictionary defs of "jumbo jet", are Blur flamers or was their therapist simply a very overweight person?

jn i liked your descriptions of possible meanings very much.  What is your take now that the urban dictionary jumbo jet is added in?

Since no one else will say it...I think you are a little too focused on the jumbo jet reference from urban dictionary.  You do know a lot of the entries on that site are put there was 'jokes' and are not really technically what they say.

The count down to see a Lakers logo on a picture of a jumbo jet in 5....4.....3.......

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2008, 01:35:20 AM »

Since no one else will say it...I think you are a little too focused on the jumbo jet reference from urban dictionary.  You do know a lot of the entries on that site are put there was 'jokes' and are not really technically what they say.

The count down to see a Lakers logo on a picture of a jumbo jet in 5....4.....3.......
Countdown to your keeping other posters posts in true context in 987,878,546,986..........
jn gave some interesting thoughts on what "head checked" etc meant.
Since no one else, including you, knew what a jumbo jet was referring to, yes i looked it up on urban dictionary.  As to people putting jokes up on urban dictionary, yes i saw that on some other definitions but they seemed way more obvious.  However they also have a thumbs up and thumbs down icon so others can give a yah or neigh on the truthfullness or bogusness of a def.  The up or down thumb seems to give some idea (a good amount?) of accuracy from what little I've seen.  In the case of jumbo jet, only one thumb for def #1 with zero down, yet 5 good 8 bad for def #2.  So does def #1 fly?  I don't know.

Friends of mine have offspring who dj gatherings.  Their intent is to not play any music with gross lyrics.  That is getting more and more difficult in 2008 so thus i asked.

If indeed "head checked" is as jn thinks it might be, then what the heck having your head checked by a "jumbo jet"?

BTW i think i read Blur outsold every other UK band in the UK for about 4 years.

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2008, 08:23:43 AM »

Countdown to your keeping other posters posts in true context in 987,878,546,986..........

The irony.  What's next?  Do you think Al-Queda will denounce terrorism?

I really highly doubt that the jumbo jet is the male part of a man that hit him upside the head to cause problems in his life.  Sounds a little dumb when you actually THINK about it right?  That's my point.

Back to your regular scheduled photoshop.