Author Topic: Playoffs, we're talking Playoffs?!?!?  (Read 5033 times)

Offline TheGuiltyParty

• View Profile
    • Email
Playoffs, we're talking Playoffs?!?!?
« on: July 06, 2008, 01:27:13 PM »
Alright... the off-season has BARELY even begun but I'm getting tired of talking about potential names of players who Ed may or may not go after depending on whether Golden State may or may not go after them as well or whether their current team may or may not re-sign them SO.... let's talk playoffs.

Right now, I rank the East like this....

1. Boston
2. Detroit
3. Toronto
4. Orlando
5. Cleveland
6. Washington (if healthy)
7. Miami
8. Milwaukee, Philadelphia, Charlotte, Atlanta, and Chicago

If we sign Josh Smith AKA "He Who Must Not Be Named" from here on out... are the Sixers in the Top 7? I still don't think so. When you consider that Milwaukee has already added Jefferson and Joe Alexander... they'll probably be better. Charlotte has added Larry Brown and a Top 10 pick in Augustin (I'm not a big fan) so they'll be better than they were last season under Sam Vincent. If we do get "He Who Must Not Be Named" AKA "HWMNBN" than Atlanta probably falls out the the running for #8. Chicago is a complete mystery. They could be terrible like last season or all of that talent could come together and challenge Detroit for the division which would knock us out of the playoffs.

Point being, with or without HWMNBN... we don't really appear to be in all that much better of a position than we were this past season, do we? Sure the overall talent of the team has gotten better but should we expect to see that translate into more Ws than Ls this upcoming season??

Offline Skates

• View Profile
Re: Playoffs, we're talking Playoffs?!?!?
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2008, 01:56:36 PM »
Your top 4 are solid for now, but after that it is a complete scramble. 

You hit it on the head with Washington and the health issues which loom large, but they are likely in the running for the 5-8 spots. 

Cleveland has LeBron and ???  I literally hate the rest of their team, has beens, old guys and never were's mostly.  The few useful guys are pretty flawed.  They have a ton of expiring contracts so I expect them to be busy at the trade deadline.  If LeBron even gets a partial season injury, say 20 games, they could be hard pressed to make the playoffs.

Miami still looks like a bad team to me. No PG, no C, Wade is always a good candidate for the IR at some point and Beasley and Marion look like they might get in each other's way.  I don't think Riley would mind one more trip to lottery land before they go after Boozer next summer.  Expect their big turn around to more likely happen next year.

Charlotte will make a trade a week with LB and MJ in charge, but they will improve some, who knows how much.

Milwaukee, meh?  They still look a mess.

Even if they just re-sign their own RFA's, both Atlanta and Philly will improve based on internal maturing of their younger players.  Not as exciting of a way to improve as FA, but it should happen for both teams.  How much improvement is to be determined.  Things would definitely tilt in the Sixers' favor if Smith signs here, and if not we still have cap space to make other moves this summer or at the deadline.  Plus we had a first round pick this year and they did not.

Chicago has to make some more moves, specifically for a post scorer, but could be this year's turn around team from last year's lottery.

Offline TheGuiltyParty

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2008, 02:13:57 PM »
I agree with a lot of your analysis Skates but don't you think that there's about a 50/50 chance of us making/missing the playoffs come next season with or without Smith?? Just as you said, we could see Cleveland fall off but at the same time, isn't it possible Milwaukee under Skiles puts something together? I also don't believe the Nets are going to be as big of a pushover as some think and so even they could get involved to an extent.

Offline anklebreaker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2008, 02:41:09 PM »
Anything is possible, but if we sign Smith and hold onto Miller (and Iguodala/Lou) I'm fairly confident we're a top 6 team in the East. 

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2008, 04:04:30 PM »
If we can add a good young player while staying financially reasonable I really only care if we are competitive next year.  Next year's seeding would be crucial if we were comitting to an older vet and resigning Miller.

I am more focussed on incremental improvement to where the team can make some kind of run in 3-4 years when Thad, Iguodala, Lou and the other young players are in their prime.  That means adding a top young player (Smith) or getting a short term rental.  As long as we avoid big long term deals to 28+ vets like Maggette or Jamison I will not be too disappointed.

Offline Skates

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2008, 04:12:08 PM »
NJ looks like they are trying to get into the lottery again.  Milwaukee does have Skiles who is usually good for a little bump the first year, but their players just don't impress me, especially of RJ stays in a funk because he hates being in Milwaukee.

Our short term success probably is more closely tied into Miller than anyone else.  If we get Smith and keep Miller for the year, plus re-sign our own RFA's, we should be a lock for the playoffs barring major injury.  We can reasonably look forward to Williams and Jason Smith being a notch better and Thad may really start taking off.  Plus we have Speights to further bolster our bigs.  Add Josh Smith and our defense could be suffocating, we can run with anybody, our post game should see some improvement from the young guys and our shooting should see at least an incremental imrpovement internally.

If we don't get Smith and have to move Miller to acquire someone this summer, our chances of visiting lottery land increase greatly, even though the team may be better in the long term.

jemagee

« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2008, 04:17:51 PM »
New Jersey is targeting lebron in 2010, on the court is almost secondary to them, i expect them to stink something fierce this off season and find a taker for vince  carter if they can (with his awful contract) to try and make sure they'll have more than enough to attract lebron AND field a competetive team with lebron, cause just money isn't going to attract lebron.

The feeling in the media is that milwaukee is making a quick fix push by trading for jefferson and skiles and hoping to make a playoff run this year.

I don't fear the bobcats cause its browns first season and I think he's going to make that franchise even MORE of a mess...already they alieanted their players and i don't trust them not to screw up okafors deal and sean may won't stay healthy

Heck, there's discussion that gerald wallace is on the market which i just don't get

I also expect the hawks to be worse next year

Offline sixersftw

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2008, 04:24:58 PM »
Just as you said, we could see Cleveland fall off but at the same time, isn't it possible Milwaukee under Skiles puts something together? I also don't believe the Nets are going to be as big of a pushover as some think and so even they could get involved to an extent.

I can't see milwaukee putting anything together under skiles.  Skiles is a pretty mediocre offensive coach and the Bucks don't have the personnel to be a good defensive team.  they have alot of poor defenders on that team.  I agree w/ skates' assessment about the rest of the east, especially miami.  i don't buy them being anything yet.

Offline southjersey

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2008, 06:18:17 PM »
Toronto is going to be an interesting team this year with all the changes. Does Barganni step it up or is he a bust? Detroit could slide some, even though I like the coaching chage, Billups and sheed are going down hill. Cleveland stinks, without Lebron they are a joke. The sixers are a dangerous team. If they add Smith or Marion, and a shooter, they will be in a great position.

Offline DuckyNinja

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2008, 06:21:56 PM »
If we add HWMNBN without having to give up any of our main guys, we're potentially a top 4 team.  Our starting lineup may not be the best, but our bench would be very deep.

Offline Pure Hatred

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2008, 07:09:02 PM »
I'm not going to undervalue our chemistry and the style which allows us to consistently beat down bad/mediocre teams. I think we'll be a top 4 team in the East, with or without him. I'm also banking on the all round improvement of out young players.

[/bold prediction]

Offline TheGuiltyParty

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2008, 08:27:49 PM »
I love the positive feelings about the team with HWMNBN on the roster. I read top 6 and possibly top 4.... anyone else think we're top 4 next year with HWMNBN???

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2008, 09:09:51 PM »
I love the positive feelings about the team with HWMNBN on the roster. I read top 6 and possibly top 4.... anyone else think we're top 4 next year with HWMNBN???

How about ECF in 2-3 years?  Next year is for entertainment purposes only- don't watch the standngs too closely.

Offline TheGuiltyParty

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2008, 10:33:28 PM »
ECF in 2-3 years??? Well, this is a different flavor of Kool-Aid than what I was drinking from February through May. Pass me a cup, brotha 'cause I am too sober to buy into this talk just yet.

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2008, 01:35:26 PM »
A lot of ifs and buts involved in my "three year  plan"(hey, that has a nice ring to it, wonder why no one else throught to say it?)

Basically, all of our currnet players improve like we hope they will.  We replace Miller.  Then in 1-2 years add a vet older superstar like an aging Kobe/AI/KG type(who is being shipped out as part of a major rebuild, or open up space for a '10 younger FA.)