Author Topic: I am going to wait and see  (Read 5600 times)

Offline DuckyNinja

• View Profile
    • Email
I am going to wait and see
« on: July 02, 2008, 10:13:19 PM »
Speculation is fun.  But really, all this speculation is fucking driving me insane.  Longest.  Week.  Ever.

Offline TheGuiltyParty

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: I am going to wait and see
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2008, 10:16:03 PM »
I agree. I usually LOVE the rumor mill and talking about what ifs but I'm pretty worn down. Luckily (sort of) tomorrow is the 1 year anniversary of when me and my special lady friend ran off to Jamaica and got married so.... I'll be spending the day with her. Frankly, getting away from the computer and tv will be a welcomed vacation.

Offline Skates

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2008, 10:21:06 PM »
Agreed, I need to get busy doing family stuff for the holiday weekend.  I am feeling a little NBA burnout with the draft followed by the opt-out and FA negotiating periods.  At least with the draft we knew when it was going to happen, this FA crap is all rumors and false reports and wait, wait, wait.  When I go online this weekend it will be strictly for updates and to visit here occasionally.  I'm definitely taking a few days off from the other boards unless something big happens.

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2008, 10:30:25 PM »
I'm just a bit bothered that the off season seems to be heading in the wrong direction.

We started by thinking we were the only team who could make noise, and wondering who we might sign. 

Now we look like we are on the outside looking in, while other teams are freeing up new space to drive up the prices of resigning Iguodala and Lou.  The big names we dreamt of (maybe irrationally) are either looking elsewhere or using us for leverage, while we seem weeks away from making any kind of move.

But who knows, tomorrow is another day- maybe Smith signs an offer sheet or we pull off a trade- but I doubt it.

Offline TheGuiltyParty

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2008, 10:37:43 PM »
In all honesty, I'm glad we're using this board because there are SOOOOOO many posters who have come out of the woodwork over on realgm that just spew nonsensical information out of their asses. It's hard to maintain a conversation over there right now with someone new showing up every 20 minutes to rant about how upset he is that Brand isn't coming to Philly. Ugh.

Offline bebopdeluxe

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2008, 11:08:36 PM »
While conventional wisdom suggests that the aggressive deals that happen in the first days of FA are the best, that is not always the case...for example, in MLB, I would argue that one of the best offseason deals was the Cardinals signing Kyle Loshe for 1 year at $4 mil...they have gotten a lot better value than the Mariners signing Carlos Silva for $10 mil/year for 4 years (ouch).

And some of the things that we want to do will simply take time because other dominoes must fall first...can't do anything with Hinrich until the Bulls (or the market) decides what to do...'Sheed's availability (and what we may have to do to get him) may be impacted by other moves they make on their roster....and that may take time.  I have no freaking clue how (or when) personnel moves with the Warriors may impact us.

I think that this is going to take time to work out...but it is nice to at least have the summer league to look forward to (and, BTW...remember how bad Thad looked in some of those games?).

Offline DuckyNinja

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2008, 11:18:36 PM »
Hey bebop, don't sell the Mariners short.

It was 12/4.

jemagee

« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2008, 08:08:13 AM »
The off season is 2 days old and already people are determining that it's going in the wrong direction?

I thought GMAN only posted on philaphans.

Offline TheGuiltyParty

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2008, 09:41:11 AM »
I don't know if it's headed in the wrong direction but I like instant gratification (oh so many jokes could be said) and I'm tired of waiting. :-)

Alright... I'm off to Manhattan for the day/night (Young Frankenstein the Musical... here we come). Hopefully some news will break today but if not, I'm fairly certain the sun will rise tomorrow and life will go on. Later Gents...

Offline johnny broad-street

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2008, 09:41:59 AM »
I'm dealing with it by throwing my faith in Ed and the multitude of moves that have come out of left field in past years and shocked me. It's good to breathe and remind ourselves that for every deal we can foresee there are probably ten we have never thought of.

jemagee

« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2008, 09:46:41 AM »
I'm dealing with it by remembering any of the 'top names' in FA this year were mostly a pipe dream anyway unless miller had been dealt and the sixers had max cap room...they weren't going to get brand and unless they get creative with smith, the hawks will probably match it.

Nothing that has happened yet has been all that surprising or disappointing to me, and the 'off season' is really only 2 days old

Offline Skates

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2008, 01:17:58 PM »
Oh, and while this has been said before, damn BK and his second year option to Calvin freaking Booth.

jemagee

« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2008, 01:24:47 PM »
Oh, and while this has been said before, damn BK and his second year option to Calvin freaking Booth.

Not even in the top 3 of bad things still left from the billy king era ;)

Offline Skates

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2008, 01:40:36 PM »

The second year of the Calvin Booth era is kind of like the piece of the BK legacy that gets stuck between your teeth.  Its not a big deal and it likely won't kill you, but its annoying as hell, unnecessary and impossible to get rid of.

Offline DuckyNinja

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2008, 01:46:08 PM »

The second year of the Calvin Booth era is kind of like the piece of the BK legacy that gets stuck between your teeth.  Its not a big deal and it likely won't kill you, but its annoying as hell, unnecessary and impossible to get rid of.

What does that make Willie Green's contract?