Author Topic: Board Guidelines/conduct- Now O.T. and Adrift  (Read 45823 times)

jemagee

Re: Board Guidelines/conduct
« Reply #105 on: July 14, 2008, 12:18:46 PM »
Our medico-legal system is messed up, just like our medical system (if you can call it that.)  There are good and bad doctors and lawyers, and many are just a product of the system (attack dog lawyers and over-defensive/over-treating doctors.)

Yes, the patients are blameless right?

Idiot patients who demand anti biotics for a viral infectino and when the doctor tells them it won't help they get beligerent because they don't comprehend how viruses work and when explained to them they refuse to accept it, so the doctor gives them medicine to get them off their back, or parents who demand their children be on ritalin, when more often than not it's not needed, just a bit better parenting.

Statements like the one you made above to me just encouraging our sue everyone society that we live in...

Offline DuckyNinja

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #106 on: July 14, 2008, 12:24:45 PM »
There's nothing funnier than doctors being sued.  I would know, I've been in a courtroom with about 9 of em.  Not so holier-than-thou now, are you?

(The above statement is a generalization.  No offense is meant.  Except to those doctors who think they're better than everyone.)

Cmon Jem, I even said it was a generalization with no offense meant.  I don't know how much more of a disclaimer than that I need.  Truthfully, I hate stupid people, and these particular ones just happen to fall into that category.  There are lawyers who do too who I would like to see sued.  And I agree that the medico-legal system is messed up.  In fact I think the whole medical system AND the whole legal system is messed up.  Not much we can do about it.

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: July 14, 2008, 12:57:56 PM »

Statements like the one you made above to me just encouraging our sue everyone society that we live in...
[/quote]

Of course its not an excuse to try and manipulate the system- but when you have 300 Million people being served by a broken system, there will be lots of people lining up to abuse it.  I don't expect everyone out there to be bound by some moral code to not abuse the system.  I might try to hold myself, family and friends to some sort of moral standard- but beyond that I don't expect others to share similar values about what is fair.

I do think the system can be improved- and there will be changes if only because the current system is not financially sustainable.  Unfortunately every "fix" has serious trade offs, not the least of which the need for society to temper is expectations of what medicine and the legal system can accomplish.  There will have to be some reasonable rationing of care. 

For example, under medicaid currently 90% of the recipients are children- but they only receive 15% of the $'s spent.  Tough decisions will have to made on how much can reasonably spent for expensive treatments that modestly extend life.  That money often would be better invested in improving the quality of the end of life with investment in hospice, home care and family leave reimbursement.  Nobody wants to be the one that denies their grandparent that last $100,00 round of palliative Chemo, but as a society we need to be ready to make tough choices.

Offline bebopdeluxe

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #108 on: July 14, 2008, 01:01:41 PM »
Ummm...errr....aaahhh....

Hey!  The Sixers signed Elton Brand!

Pretty cool, huh?

(bebop struggles to get non-OT thread back to basketball...)

jemagee

« Reply #109 on: July 14, 2008, 01:06:23 PM »

Of course its not an excuse to try and manipulate the system- but when you have 300 Million people being served by a broken system, there will be lots of people lining up to abuse it.  I don't expect everyone out there to be bound by some moral code to not abuse the system.  I might try to hold myself, family and friends to some sort of moral standard- but beyond that I don't expect others to share similar values about what is fair.

I do think the system can be improved- and there will be changes if only because the current system is not financially sustainable.  Unfortunately every "fix" has serious trade offs, not the least of which the need for society to temper is expectations of what medicine and the legal system can accomplish.  There will have to be some reasonable rationing of care. 

For example, under medicaid currently 90% of the recipients are children- but they only receive 15% of the $'s spent.  Tough decisions will have to made on how much can reasonably spent for expensive treatments that modestly extend life.  That money often would be better invested in improving the quality of the end of life with investment in hospice, home care and family leave reimbursement.  Nobody wants to be the one that denies their grandparent that last $100,00 round of palliative Chemo, but as a society we need to be ready to make tough choices.
[/quote]

Don't get me started on baby boomers and the fact that we keep people alive way too long...

Of course, after we solve the simple issue of medicine in the US, let's move on to education shall we?  Should be able to tie that up in a weekend :)

If people would stop electing politicians dumber than they are, it would be an immense help in my opinion, people seem intimidated when a political candidate is smarter than they are .

Course, this would be all solved by my 'sterilize the stupid' platform

Offline DuckyNinja

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #110 on: July 14, 2008, 01:10:27 PM »

I'm on board with you on that platform.  See, we agree on something!

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: July 14, 2008, 01:17:39 PM »

Not an attack on either of you fine gentleman- but the biggest proponents of that platform would problem end up being the first ones sterilized....
---
And I think I could fix the health and education system sooner than I can understand the implications of trading a ETO/BYC/XYZ player under the CBA (Isiah never should have sold the thing in the first place.)

Not to go BS (philaphan reference), but maybe the 1 trillion spent on Iraq could have been a good start on fixing some big problems.  No we have covered all of the O.T. bases.

jemagee

Re: Board Guidelines/conduct- Now O.T. and Adrift
« Reply #112 on: July 14, 2008, 01:21:37 PM »
Not to go BS (philaphan reference), but maybe the 1 trillion spent on Iraq could have been a good start on fixing some big problems.  No we have covered all of the O.T. bases

Using said person to support your argument, however vaguely, is just never gonna help ya - you know that :)

That's a symptom, not the disease, and the problem is everyone attempts to cure the symptom and not the disease...

The symptom is the 1 trillion in iraq, and it's used to obfuscate the disease, which is the oligarchy, on both sides of the aisle

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: July 14, 2008, 01:27:49 PM »
Not to go BS (philaphan reference), but maybe the 1 trillion spent on Iraq could have been a good start on fixing some big problems.  No we have covered all of the O.T. bases

Using said person to support your argument, however vaguely, is just never gonna help ya - you know that :)

That's a symptom, not the disease, and the problem is everyone attempts to cure the symptom and not the disease...

The symptom is the 1 trillion in iraq, and it's used to obfuscate the disease, which is the oligarchy, on both sides of the aisle
\

I think even BS would agree with that.  Oops, I did it again... now a Spears reference, man this is getting worse and worse.

jemagee

« Reply #114 on: July 14, 2008, 01:32:49 PM »
If I said it, he wouldn't agree with it, purely on the principle of the matter :)

Offline Skates

• View Profile
« Reply #115 on: July 14, 2008, 01:37:30 PM »

Not an attack on either of you fine gentleman- but the biggest proponents of that platform would problem end up being the first ones sterilized....
---
And I think I could fix the health and education system sooner than I can understand the implications of trading a ETO/BYC/XYZ player under the CBA (Isiah never should have sold the thing in the first place.)

Not to go BS (philaphan reference), but maybe the 1 trillion spent on Iraq could have been a good start on fixing some big problems.  No we have covered all of the O.T. bases.

Solution - We all move to Singapore, oh wait, that's just you.  :D

BTW, any word on becoming our resident world traveler?

jemagee

« Reply #116 on: July 14, 2008, 01:38:24 PM »
does he have to post like him as well?

Offline Skates

• View Profile
« Reply #117 on: July 14, 2008, 01:44:48 PM »
Let's tie this into the Pixar thread.  The Incredibles did a nice job of equally skewering the worst parts of the plaintiff bar and the insurance companies in a nicely balanced social commentary, plus Holly Hunter's voice on an extremely flexible cartoon CMILF is an added bonus.

jemagee

« Reply #118 on: July 14, 2008, 01:45:51 PM »
Funny, my gf HATES HOlly Hunters voice :) She enjoys watching that cop show, but hates her accent :)

Personally, the best part of The Incredibles, to me, was jack jack attacks

Offline Sub

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #119 on: July 14, 2008, 04:08:45 PM »
I came here to get away from such "bs".  ;)