Author Topic: ESPN Chat Stuff  (Read 50437 times)

Offline carolina blue

• View Profile
Re: ESPN Chat Stuff
« Reply #30 on: July 01, 2008, 09:00:13 PM »
IMO, there are multiple problems with Iguodala as your primary 2.

I.)  Slow release on his jumpshot

II.)  Mediocre 3pt shooter, even when it's a catch-and-shoot

III.)  Too deliberate when trying to create his own shot.

The third is what killed him in the Detroit series.  Once it became a halfcourt game, he had to have everyone clear out before he made his move which gave the defense time to be ready for him.  He doesn't have the skill level to receive the ball and make a quick, decisive move before the defense is/was set.

While ideally sized, I don't think Iguodala is skilled enough to be an upper echelon 2 at this point.

If you don't have a post threat, you better have guys that can break down their defender off the dribble - the only Sixers who could consistently do that were Williams and Green.

Offline bebopdeluxe

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: July 01, 2008, 10:25:46 PM »
Good points, carolina blue...you could add in:

4) Less-than-elite quality handle for an NBA SG...

I honestly worry that Iggy could - with all of his wonderful athleticism - could be no better than a Bruce Bowen-on-steroids...I know that this may overstate things a bit (I recognize that Iggy is a fine all-around player), but the point remains that his outside shot and handle are simply not plus-quality for an NBA SG...and you are going to pay him a boatload of cash this summer not knowing if he is ever going to get there.

Offline Skates

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 01, 2008, 10:40:08 PM »
Most teams would kill to have Iggy play for them.  He has considerably better ball handling skills than most fans seem to recognize, although he lacks the three dribble power drive from a set offense for some odd reason.  He averaged 19.9 ppg while miscast as a primary scoring option, and can pass, rebound and defend at a high level.  If people, and Iggy and his agent, accept that he is a very good complementary player and will never be "the man" it would be much easier to appreciate him here. 

He is on the USA Select team that plays the Olympians for a reason- he's very good.  ESPN rated him as the most attractive RFA for a reason - he is very good and he has a skill set that can easily be melded into most teams.  His attitude that he is a number one guy has brought the criticism down on him because he simply isn't that, and that is understandable (plus it's Philly and we tend to eat our own stars for breakfast here).  He has some holes in his game, but things like his shooting percentage and TO's will improve as he is moved away from trying to be a first and last option scorer.

Offline bebopdeluxe

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: July 01, 2008, 10:57:34 PM »
Skates:

I guess that we'll just have to agree to disagree here on a couple of things...there is no question that Iggy is a fine basketball player (and is on that USA Select team for a reason), but the question that I ask myself - as we are entering a period for this team where it's like "speak now or forever hold your piece" - is whether Iggy is - at least on the offensive end - a shooting guard?

Dribble in the half-court?  Ability to create his own shot off the dribble?

I say no.

Ability to shoot jumpers off of screens effectively?

Nope.

Catch-and-shoot jumpers?

No.

Stationary 3-pointers with room to shoot?

Yes - but guys like Bruce Bowen and Raja Bell can shoot them as well (and they don't make $57 mil, either).

Can he DEFEND the SG position?  Absolutely.  Is he great in transition?  Yup.  Is he a good passer?  Yes.

But in terms of providing the essential offensive qualities that great SG's provide in the half-court set, Iguodala comes up short, IMO.  Now, if our PG and SF could make up for this, I would feel better...but both of those guys seem to be more comfortable posting their guys up than shooting the 18-20 footer.  If we had Brand, Iggy would get better, easier looks from the outside...but that ain't happening.  Speights is at least a year away from making that kind of contribution...but we need to decide on Iggy NOW.

Erk.

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 01, 2008, 11:00:39 PM »
You are both right- which explains why Iguodala is not a star, but might become a very valuable part to a good team.  Carolina- I agree with your breakdown of Iguodala, and that is why despite his skill and athleticism he is not a Kobe type forece on offense. 

Fortunately, I don't see him as a selfish high volume shooter/ball hog, so I am optimistic he won't need to force things so much when the Sixers have a more balance offensive attack.  He also has improved every year, and is no where near is ceiling.

The more you ask Iguodala to be the primary (sometimes only) weapon on the floor, the more his weaknesses are exposed.  But surround him with talent and his strengths will be maximized.  Also, letting him operate more off the ball, and against 2nd level defenders(Young will be a handful and demand a top wing defender) and he can be an efficient and dangerous weapon playing off of teammates penatration and good post play.

Offline TheGuiltyParty

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #35 on: July 02, 2008, 11:17:29 AM »
There are a couple of chats happening today on ESPN.

David Thorpe (ugh!!) is on right now....
http://proxy.espn.go.com/chat/chatESPN?event_id=21316

Chad Ford will start at 1PM
http://proxy.espn.go.com/chat/chatESPN?event_id=21324

jemagee

« Reply #36 on: July 02, 2008, 11:20:07 AM »
What do you have against thorpe?

Offline TheGuiltyParty

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #37 on: July 02, 2008, 11:35:46 AM »
What do you have against thorpe?

I think Thorpe is a complete waste of time. He's a trainer who works out some of the guys in the league and he talks them up way too much. He's a huge fan of Noah's and saw no wrong with anything Noah did last season. In fact, for most of the year, he had Noah ahead of Thad on his Rookie Report even though Noah was doing nothing on a bad team and Thad was doing a ton on a playoff team.

I just don't think he brings anything of interest to the table. Read his chat today and tell me if you get ANYthing from his one or two word answers.

jemagee

« Reply #38 on: July 02, 2008, 11:37:26 AM »
I think you are wrong on almost all counts including sliding thaddeus into the top 5 on his rookie report when thad started seriously performing...but it's a personal opinion, i think most chatters are too in love with the 'sound' of their own voice...thorpe gets to the point and answers the questions asked...

And i value his opinioin on the ability of basketball players over guys like stein and broussard and ford who are more worried about offending sources and end up being mouthpieces for GMs

Offline TheGuiltyParty

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #39 on: July 02, 2008, 11:38:57 AM »
Peter (New Hampshire): Judging by the length of your answers, you are either not very bright or you don't type very quickly. Which is it?

SportsNation David Thorpe: (12:35 PM ET ) Oh, I'm a fast typer, believe me.

Mike (D): Don't sell yourself short, you're smart too, you actually get paid for these lame responses.

SportsNation David Thorpe: (12:20 PM ET ) How do you know?

anyon(NY): Care to elaborate on any of your answers...?

SportsNation David Thorpe: (12:11 PM ET ) Tune in to Chad Ford or Stein or Hollinger. They are the smart ones.

I'm not the only one who questions why ESPN keeps this guy as a writer for their site....

jemagee

« Reply #40 on: July 02, 2008, 11:40:57 AM »
Peter (New Hampshire): Judging by the length of your answers, you are either not very bright or you don't type very quickly. Which is it?

SportsNation David Thorpe: (12:35 PM ET ) Oh, I'm a fast typer, believe me.

Mike (D): Don't sell yourself short, you're smart too, you actually get paid for these lame responses.

SportsNation David Thorpe: (12:20 PM ET ) How do you know?

anyon(NY): Care to elaborate on any of your answers...?

SportsNation David Thorpe: (12:11 PM ET ) Tune in to Chad Ford or Stein or Hollinger. They are the smart ones.

I'm not the only one who questions why ESPN keeps this guy as a writer for their site....

A.  They keep reading, and posting, and obviously so do you
B.  It's an ESPN chat, it's not serious, people take it too seriously and lack humor , he answers a lot of basketball questions if you don't pick and choose, and he gets to the point...in fact he said things about speights today.....

Offline TheGuiltyParty

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #41 on: July 02, 2008, 11:42:04 AM »
I think you are wrong on almost all counts including sliding thaddeus into the top 5 on his rookie report when thad started seriously performing...but it's a personal opinion, i think most chatters are too in love with the 'sound' of their own voice...thorpe gets to the point and answers the questions asked...

And i value his opinioin on the ability of basketball players over guys like stein and broussard and ford who are more worried about offending sources and end up being mouthpieces for GMs

Yes, he put Thad is his Top 5... but Noah was #4!!! Listen... if you like him, so be it. I'm not going to tell you what to like (you are Joss Whedon fan if I remember... YIKES!) but the guy does nothing for me.

jemagee

« Reply #42 on: July 02, 2008, 11:43:15 AM »

Yes, he put Thad is his Top 5... but Noah was #4!!! Listen... if you like him, so be it. I'm not going to tell you what to like (you are Joss Whedon fan if I remember... YIKES!) but the guy does nothing for me.

Yet you are still reading his chats and complaining about them, so you are adding to his viewers for his chat, all the bitchers and moaners, just like in everything, don't realize the only way to make someone go away is to stop paying attention to him.

Yes, I like Joss Whedon, but then again i have a sense of humor

Offline TheGuiltyParty

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #43 on: July 02, 2008, 11:50:45 AM »
Yet you are still reading his chats and complaining about them, so you are adding to his viewers for his chat, all the bitchers and moaners, just like in everything, don't realize the only way to make someone go away is to stop paying attention to him.

Yes, I like Joss Whedon, but then again i have a sense of humor

Hey man... I get it. You're the defender of all things that are good and righteous. I do apologize for verbally questioning why Thorpe has a job, why we should give Iguodala a ton of cash, and whether or not fans of Joss Whedon have ever felt the touch of a woman. Seriously... I am joking on this so there's no need to get all pissy.

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
« Reply #44 on: July 02, 2008, 11:51:33 AM »
Count me in the group that thinks Thorpe chats are essentially worthless.  He's there to WRITE and express his opinion.  Two word answers are pointless.