Author Topic: ESPN Chat Stuff  (Read 50364 times)

Offline Skates

• View Profile
Re: ESPN Chat Stuff
« Reply #165 on: July 10, 2008, 11:08:55 PM »
Although I would trade him in the right move, I would prefer to keep Jason Smith for now.  At most we are likely to add one shooter from the wing positions, and that will likely be it for this uear.  Of all of the young guys, including Lou, I think Smith might have been the best shooter we had. 

Having a big man who can spread the floor is nice and I think Smith's shooting will benefit from a summer of NBA level conditioning, especially for his legs.  I also like the fact that despite having some finesse skills like shooting and running the floor well for a big guy, Smith seemed more than willing to get his nose dirty inside.  He was tough, if not overly strong.  The minimal reposrts out of the Sixers mini-camp prior to the summer league is that Smith is shooting very well from the outside.  He could be a nice 20 mpg compliment to Brand with his shooting from the 4-5 positions.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2008, 09:18:28 AM by Skates »

Offline sixers hoops

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #166 on: July 10, 2008, 11:18:39 PM »
Smith's shooting will benefit from a summer of NBA level conditioning, especially for his legs.

He also went to Mark Price shooting camp with Carney, Thad, and Lou Will.

Offline The Poster

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #167 on: July 10, 2008, 11:21:33 PM »
Any thought to Lou Will being our Ben Gordon by next year? I also really, really like Smith, good moblility, hustle, boards and will only get better.

Offline TheGuiltyParty

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #168 on: July 11, 2008, 07:23:03 AM »
I like LouWill and while some people want to diminish what Ben Gordon does on a basketball court, I don't think Lou will get to that level this season. That said, I think it's possible for him to get there at some point in his career and I hope he does.

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: July 11, 2008, 08:15:29 AM »
Smith's shooting will benefit from a summer of NBA level conditioning, especially for his legs.

He also went to Mark Price shooting camp with Carney, Thad, and Lou Will.

I hope Price was able to help Smith improve on his realease point.  His jumper will be a better weapon if he actually holds the ball above his head.

jemagee

« Reply #170 on: July 11, 2008, 08:50:19 AM »
If you want to compare louis williams to a restricted free agent this year, he's more monta ellis than ben gordon...

Offline Skates

• View Profile
« Reply #171 on: July 11, 2008, 09:24:30 AM »
I hope Price was able to help Smith improve on his realease point.  His jumper will be a better weapon if he actually holds the ball above his head.

True enough.  He was also not getting his feet set correctly and was shooting a little flat-footed at times with his legs flying apart as he jumped.  He has a sweet stroke, with those very correctable problems.  Unless something great comes along, I am all for grabbing a cheap shooter and seeing how this team fits together in the fall.  We can always look for a fix at the deadline when we know more about what we need.

If you want to compare louis williams to a restricted free agent this year, he's more monta ellis than ben gordon...

Agreed.  Given that Lou would just be coming out as a junior if he was drated now, at this stage  and age he reminds me a lot of a young Jason Terry, which is not a bad thing.

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: July 11, 2008, 09:49:20 AM »

Agreed.  Given that Lou would just be coming out as a junior if he was drated now, at this stage  and age he reminds me a lot of a young Jason Terry, which is not a bad thing.

There have been a lot of talented undersized scoring/combo guards in the league.  Its hard to compare them, because despite similar talents, their success and how much they help a team depends more on their personality than their talent.  If they are selfish gunners they can hurt a team even if they are great scorers.  If they know how to play within a system and pick their spots, they can be a real asset, especially when their team's offense is in a drought.

I think Lou has a good head on his shoulders, and is a good teammate.  he may never learn to be a true instintive PG, but I think he will learn how to best harness his talent to help the team.

Offline anklebreaker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #173 on: July 11, 2008, 11:11:30 AM »
The thing about Lou that I like is his ability to elevate his game in pressure situations.  He was pretty much Mr. 4th Quarter for us last year. 

jemagee

« Reply #174 on: July 11, 2008, 11:12:29 AM »
The thing about Lou that I like is his ability to elevate his game in pressure situations.  He was pretty much Mr. 4th Quarter for us last year. 

Hmm...interesting...cause people say the same thing about ben gordon....

Louis Williams is a cheaper, not as good (in my opinoin) version of ben gordon who i'd happily trade to get ben gordon

Offline sixerscan

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #175 on: July 11, 2008, 08:55:51 PM »
If Gordon would come here for a reasonable contract I'd love to have him. A contract starting at $8 million for a guy who would come off the bench for us isn't very reasonable though.

TK where did you find that picture of brand and miller?

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: July 12, 2008, 02:13:19 PM »

TK where did you find that picture of brand and miller?

It is a cropped version from the Clippers site.  I think Brand and Miller played for Team USA in 2002.  I found the pic on yahoo (seach under images: elton brand miller usa)

http://www.nba.com/media/clippers/wallpaper_usab_1024x768.jpg

jemagee

« Reply #177 on: July 12, 2008, 04:08:37 PM »
Try this (posted it in another thread but not sure if people will see it) if you want, i just don't like the USA/flag thing and tried to make it slightly more sixers...

jemagee

« Reply #178 on: July 12, 2008, 04:21:48 PM »
Ps, if anyone cares i can clean a bit of the fuzziness up (except on brands shoe, sorry about it, just didn't notice that i missed it)...

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: July 12, 2008, 06:11:11 PM »
I actually like the team USA jerseys- but the flag in the background is a bit over the top- the Sixers backround is also distracting. 

My current cropped one with a neutral background would be good.  I guess maybe I'll do it myself in Photoshop if I get the time.

Would you mind posting the origin but without the flag (maybe just a neutral grey? Thanks.