Author Topic: ESPN Chat Stuff  (Read 50363 times)

Offline Skates

• View Profile
Re: ESPN Chat Stuff
« Reply #150 on: July 10, 2008, 04:10:17 PM »
I absolutely HATE the idea of trading speights, when brand gets older speights will be ready to explode...it's almost a perfect symmetry...no no no a thousand times no

Also, Marreese Speights = Elton Brand Achilles tendon insurance policy.

Offline The Sixer Fixer

• View Profile
« Reply #151 on: July 10, 2008, 04:21:44 PM »
I believe the answer is that both Lou and Gordon would count for half their first year salary or something along those lines.  So I believe the answer is unless Lou gets like less than half Gordon's salary, with Jason Smith, they could pull it off.

I'm not sure that's accurate.

BYC players count for half their salary in the "outgoing side" and their entire salary on the "incoming" side of the deal.

That means if Ben is BYC and his salary is 8 mil, then Chicago would in effect be trading a 4 mil (half as the outgoing) player, but Philly is still taking on an 8 mil (full salary as incoming) player.

So say Lou and Smith (assuming no BYC) add up to half of Ben's salary, the Sixers would be trading away say 5-6 mil and trying to receive 8 mil so it won't work.  If Lou is BYC it becomes even more impossible to happen since his outgoing salary would be about 2.5 and they would still be trying to take back 8 mil.

jemagee

« Reply #152 on: July 10, 2008, 04:22:11 PM »
You know when there's a no hitter and no ones supposed to talk about it...well saktes just brought up the thing the sixers and fans should not talk about...ever ever again

Offline Skates

• View Profile
« Reply #153 on: July 10, 2008, 04:24:17 PM »
And yea, what TGP said.  Once you have the 8 or 9 man rotation, the rest of the roster is just filler anyway.  And assuming everything postulated as true, they would have Miller, Hunter, Ollie, Iggy, Gordon, Green (lol, we all forgot about him), Young, Brand, Evans, Dalembert, Speights.  Leaves 4 bench spots for other vets or young developmental players.  Really, how many 12th-15th men are going to make any kind of impact on a season?

QFT.  This really occurred to me when I tried to figure out the current depth chart right after the Carney trade and Brand signing.  I was like, crap how did we get down to only 10 players on the roster, counting Speights who I am not sure is signed yet.  Carney and Booth were obvious deletions form last year's roster, but after having to think for a while to come up with the rest, Ollie, Herb Hill, Shav and Lou A., I realized just how bad the bottom of our roster was last year.  Re-sign Ollie, acquire a cheap veteran shooter and fill up the other spots with assorted veteran minimum contracts and rookie FA's and spots 11-15 really couldn't be any worse than last year.  

If they end up moving Reggie of Jason Smith for a shooter I would not object to re-signing Calvin Booth for the minimum once Minnesota cuts him.  He is a good locker room guy from all accounts, practices hard, has one useful skill (shotblocking)  and actually gave some productive minutes in his very limited time last year.  He is a classic end of the bench guy, which of course lead BK to give him a second year player option on his contract, oy.

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
« Reply #154 on: July 10, 2008, 04:26:55 PM »
I'm not sure that's accurate.

It's not.

Quick Example:
Lou signed for $5 million starting.
Smith makes $1.2 million
(I'm not sure that's correct, but bear with me on the example).

Gordon is signed for $7 million starting.
Sixers:
Outgoing:
Lou: 2.5 million (1/2 of $5)
Smith: 1.2 million
Total: 3.7 million

Incoming:
Gordon: 7 million

That doesn't work (3.7 million x 1.25 + .1 = 4.725 million would be the most we can get back, which is clearly less than 7 million).

It wouldn't work from the Bulls perspective, either:
Outgoing:
Gordon: 3.5 million (1/2 of 7 million)

Incoming:
Lou: 5 million
Smith: 1.2 million
Total: 6.2 million
3.5x1.25+.1=4.475 million, which is less than 6.2 million.

Offline DuckyNinja

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #155 on: July 10, 2008, 04:29:03 PM »
In other news, fuck the people who created the CBA.

jemagee

« Reply #156 on: July 10, 2008, 04:31:36 PM »
I'm not sure which CBA is worse, the nba's or the nfls...i mean NO ONE gets traded in the nba, but you gotta have a PhD in fluid dynamics and astrophysics to get a trade to work in the NBA

Offline TheGuiltyParty

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #157 on: July 10, 2008, 09:20:21 PM »
Could cash be involved in the the Gordon trade to make the numbers work? I'm just curious. I mean, can't a team include $3MIL into the deal.

Also, are we sure Williams and Iguodala will both become BYC players? If so, then I would say our roster is pretty much set unless we move Smith for another player on a rookie contract.

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
« Reply #158 on: July 10, 2008, 09:43:50 PM »
Could cash be involved in the the Gordon trade to make the numbers work? I'm just curious. I mean, can't a team include $3MIL into the deal.

A team can include up to $3 million, but it can only be used to line owners pockets, not make the trade work.  It's not included when figuring salaries.

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: July 10, 2008, 09:55:52 PM »
Its a shame we had to renounce all our players.  Otherwise we could do one of those inflated VanHorn style resigns (eg Ollie for 1yr 3M and then give them 3M cash.)

Offline TheGuiltyParty

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #160 on: July 10, 2008, 10:10:55 PM »

A team can include up to $3 million, but it can only be used to line owners pockets, not make the trade work.  It's not included when figuring salaries.

Ahhh... I knew that and went dumb. Thanks for the response on that and setting me straight. Do you agree with killbuckner that both Lou and Dre will become BYC players??

Offline Skates

• View Profile
« Reply #161 on: July 10, 2008, 10:21:58 PM »
In other news, fuck the people who created the CBA.

You must love Isiah since he destroyed the CBA.  Oh wait, wrong CBA, however he did just seem to ignore the CBA you hate.

Offline sixers hoops

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #162 on: July 10, 2008, 10:49:34 PM »

Do you agree with killbuckner that both Lou and Dre will become BYC players??

My post to killbuckner is on the CBA/Business related forum if you want to clarify, because his response to my question was "Iguodala would be BYC" with no explanation. He could be missing something.

Offline TheGuiltyParty

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #163 on: July 10, 2008, 10:51:42 PM »
Over on ESPN's NBA page, there is a link to "The Daily Dish" with Chad Ford and John Hollinger. As a Sixer fan it's worth a listen to since Hollinger and Ford talk a lot about the Brand signing and what it means to the Sixers. They also talk about how the team is missing a shooter and once again, Ben Gordon's name came up. Both seem to think a sign-and-trade of Louis Williams for a shooter makes the most sense.

I think Stefanski is just going to try and move Smith, Evans, or Green to try and get that shooter. Unfortunately Green and Evans seem to have negative value.

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: July 10, 2008, 10:59:22 PM »
Obviously its hard to turn down the chance to add a dymanic scorer like Gordon, but I'd really hate to see Lou go.  I didn't have a big problem loosing Carney, but Lou is a different story.

I realize he has his limitations, but he seems like a great fit for this team both as a player and a person.  We lost a high character guy in KK, and gained one in Brand.  All indications are that Lou can develop into a leader here, as well as an impact player on the court.

Despite his age, I think he had a lot to do with the chemistry here.  I realize he is expendable, but it would be a blow to this team's young core to see him go.  he already is an impact player at times, and I doubt he will end up being overpaid.

Unless its a no-brainer move, I would MUCH rather go with Lou another year, and re-assess the option of moving him at the deadline or next summer.  Heck, in 6 months we might be thinking hard about him as our starting PG.  He seems ready to really break out, and should be even better with the upgraded roster.