Author Topic: NBA announces new VP in charge of officiating  (Read 1380 times)

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
NBA announces new VP in charge of officiating
« on: July 01, 2008, 01:43:02 PM »
From TrueHoop on ESPN...

Referees: Now You Answer to the General

July 1, 2008 12:12 PM

On a day when the entire NBA is focused on free agency, the NBA is sneaking out some news about what, in fact, they will do to reform their internal management of referees.

Meet the general.

I am certain that there will be skeptical comments about General Ronald L. Johnson's experience overseeing the Army Corps of Engineers, which has had bad PR from both Hurricane Katrina and the rebuilding of Iraq.

But I care not to judge the man without learning more first. In fact, I'm eager to meet him, and get a sense of what kinds of reforms he has in store. As I have blogged about many times, I'm all in favor building trust through transparency.

And, while I seriously doubt General Johnson will enjoy real autonomy -- I have yet to see the NBA employee who does not defer to David Stern -- I very much appreciate that the NBA has taken real action to encourage fans to trust NBA referees.

The League has brought in someone who has the biography of a strong leader, while paying meaningful lip service to separating his department from the rest of the NBA's dealings.

An NBA press release follows:

GENERAL RONALD L. JOHNSON NAMED NBA SENIOR VICE PRESIDENT, REFEREE OPERATIONS

NEW YORK, July 1, 2008 -- The National Basketball Association has named United States Army Major General Ronald L. Johnson to the newly created position of Senior Vice President, Referee Operations, it was announced today by NBA Commissioner David Stern.

General Johnson will be responsible for all aspects of the NBA's officiating program, including recruiting, training and development, scheduling, data management and analysis, and work rules enforcement. He will report to Joel Litvin, NBA President, League and Basketball Operations.

The appointment of General Johnson to head the league's officiating program formalizes the separation of the league's referee and basketball operations functions, as previously announced by the league.

Stu Jackson will continue as Executive Vice President of Basketball Operations, responsible for all other domestic and international basketball matters, reporting to Litvin.

General Johnson, a two-star General, recently retired from active duty as Deputy Commanding General of the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers -- the second highest ranking engineer in the Army -- after completing 32 years of military service as a combat engineer. As Commanding General of the Army Corps of Engineers, Gulf Region Division, from 2003 to 2004, he was responsible for overseeing $18 billion of reconstruction in Iraq. He also commanded the 130th Combat Engineer Brigade in Bosnia from 1996 to 1998.

General Johnson is a 1976 graduate of the United States Military Academy at West Point and holds several advanced degrees, including a Masters in Operations Research and Systems Analysis from Georgia Tech's School of Industrial Engineering and a Masters in Strategy from the Army's School of Advanced Military Studies.

"Ron's wealth of leadership and management experience, together with his engineering expertise in areas such as systems analysis, processes, and operations, make him an ideal candidate to lead our officiating program, said Stern. "Our referees are the best in the world but they never stop striving to improve and Ron has made a career out of getting the very best out of people. We are fortunate to have someone of such extraordinary accomplishment joining our staff."

"As I leave the military and return to civilian life, I can't imagine a more interesting and challenging position," said Johnson. "Although I don't have a basketball background, other than as a lifelong fan, I am confident that my experience as an Army commander and engineer has equipped me to bring leadership and innovation to the NBA's exceptional officiating program."

General Johnson was an Army War College Fellow at the Joint Center for Political and Economic Studies and received executive leadership and national security training at Harvard University, Gallup University, George Washington University, the University of Virginia, and the Center for Creative Leadership.

Johnson will relocate from Alexandria, Virginia to work in the NBA's New York headquarters.

link: http://myespn.go.com/blogs/truehoop/0-33-4/Referees--Now-You-Answer-to-the-General.html
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: NBA announces new VP in charge of officiating
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2008, 02:51:30 PM »
So Stu Jackson lost some of his power?!  THANK HEAVENS!  That alone makes me happy.  Even if he is still in charge of other things the fact that he doesn't have 100% control over that part of the league makes me ecstatic.  IMO there have been a number of instances of him playing favorites on "reviews" and this move should have been done about two years ago.  Better late then never I guess.

The other question I have is if we don't agree with what The General is doing....will we hear a spin off of the  "you don't support the troops" bs we get from republicans when someone tries to criticize the decisions made by the higher ups in Iraq?!?!
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

jemagee

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2008, 02:56:13 PM »
What's his basketball experience?

This is window dressing plain and simple...appointing someone new isn't going to change the problems, a complete overhaul in how these refs are graded, buyouts of the old crazy ones, and a more transparent 'scoring' system for refs is required for the NBA to redeem credibility

Offline Ted

• AOL Instant Messenger - Rustedhart
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - ruteha
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2008, 03:19:51 PM »
As Commanding General of the Army Corps of Engineers, Gulf Region Division, from 2003 to 2004, he was responsible for overseeing $18 billion of reconstruction in Iraq.

You mean the $18 billion reconstruction that rife with corruption, graft, and waste?

This guy sounds like he's just right for David Stern's NBA.
"You take him Perk!" ~Kevin Garnett

"I think the responsibility the Democrats have may rest more in resisting any efforts by Republicans in the Congress or by me when I was President to put some standards in and tighten up a little bit on Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac." ~Bill Clinton