Author Topic: Player Movement Thread (Was Free Agency Thread)  (Read 253626 times)

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
Re: Player Movement Thread (Was Free Agency Thread)
« Reply #1155 on: January 07, 2009, 07:21:39 PM »

Memphis confuses the heck out of me, but I guess that is a good thing.

And now Memphis just cut him...  This is beyond confusing.  Can someone explain this to me?

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
« Reply #1156 on: January 07, 2009, 07:53:55 PM »
Seems like things are heating up in the meaningless trade department.

Denver, in the continuing attenpt to be cheap bastards to get under the tax:
Atkins Dealt To Oklahoma City

Jan 07, 2009 6:21 PM EST

The Denver Nuggets traded guard Chucky Atkins and their 2009 first round draft choice to the Oklahoma City Thunder in exchange for center Johan Petro and their 2009 second round draft choice.

"We appreciate everything that the Nuggets have done to work this deal," said Atkins' agent, Andy Miller. "It's a win-win for both sides. For us, we look at it as an opportunity to get a fresh start and re-establish his identity. He really hasn't had a chance to gain any rhythm since his injury. And the Nuggets, it's an opportunity to get under the tax and be a playoff team."

The Nuggets were looking for a big man to fortify their front court. Petro's contract is expiring, which will help the Nuggets remain below the luxury tax threshold.

BTW, Andy Miller is Andre Millers agent.

Offline Skates

• View Profile
« Reply #1157 on: January 07, 2009, 11:03:06 PM »
Guaranteed contract date = January 10, 2009.  Expect lots of these little deals in the next few days, then the real trading season can start.  As for Memphis, I repeat my quote from earlier.

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
« Reply #1158 on: January 08, 2009, 04:41:02 PM »
I put up a post on the Blog here about Miller's contract, the cap and the tax (http://www.phillyarena.com)  To make a long story short, if they trade Miller and take back equal salary, they will be up against the tax this summer, so probably won't be willing to use the MLE.  In fact, if they resign him to anything over 6M(MLE range) they still will be at the tax if the use the MLE. 

This leads me to believe they will just let Miller walk if they think they can get a better player back using the MLE than what they can get back for Miller in a trade.  Ideally, you'd want them to make a trade and then use the MLE, but that assumes they will go over the tax or can move Sam or Evans- which are all unlikely scenarios.

Offline Skates

• View Profile
« Reply #1159 on: January 08, 2009, 05:18:07 PM »
I put up a post on the Blog here about Miller's contract, the cap and the tax (http://www.phillyarena.com)  To make a long story short, if they trade Miller and take back equal salary, they will be up against the tax this summer, so probably won't be willing to use the MLE.  In fact, if they resign him to anything over 6M(MLE range) they still will be at the tax if the use the MLE. 

This leads me to believe they will just let Miller walk if they think they can get a better player back using the MLE than what they can get back for Miller in a trade.  Ideally, you'd want them to make a trade and then use the MLE, but that assumes they will go over the tax or can move Sam or Evans- which are all unlikely scenarios.

With the attendance so low this year there is no way management goes over the tax next year.  Moving Sam for an expiring contract or a partly expiring combo of contracts would alleviate some or all of this conundrum.  If Miller is moved and none of our salary deadweight goes with him, expect the return to include one keeper salary in the $3-4 million dollar range and the rest as expiring.  That would allow us to get some long term return for Miller and use the MLE next summer without going over the tax or make other equivalent moves.  Going after a young PG like Conley, Foye, etc would fit in that scenario.  A trade with Portland offers lots of possibilities as well.

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
« Reply #1160 on: January 08, 2009, 05:48:54 PM »
The team can probably "keep" as much as 6M of the 10M and still be able to use the full MLE under the tax.  There are options, but they are pretty complicated, and I agree that saving $'s will be a primarty concern for all but a handful of teams.

that means Sam or Evans only get moved for equally bad contracts.

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
« Reply #1161 on: January 08, 2009, 09:40:13 PM »
Funny reading the RealGM wiretap http://basketball.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/56482/20090108/bulls_will_take_just_about_anything_for_hughes/.

They will "take anything for Hughes," except the likes of Sam.  It says how they will not take back a longer contract.  I wonder how much the economy even more than "2010" will keep teams from taking on long term deals, even if they are getting the better player.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2009, 09:42:27 PM by tk76- »

Offline Skates

• View Profile
« Reply #1162 on: January 08, 2009, 10:42:36 PM »
They want to open up time for Thabo Sefalosha.  Wow, maybe we should have drafted that guy.  And maybe a euro PG to develop like, say, Petteri Koponen.  Boy, that would have been cool if we had drafted those guys.  Hey, wait... ::)

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
« Reply #1163 on: January 08, 2009, 10:44:52 PM »
They want to open up time for Thabo Sefalosha.  Wow, maybe we should have drafted that guy.  And maybe a euro PG to develop like, say, Petteri Koponen.  Boy, that would have been cool if we had drafted those guys.  Hey, wait... ::)

I've actually heard Thabo is one of the guys they're looking to move as well.

Offline Skates

• View Profile
« Reply #1164 on: January 08, 2009, 11:49:35 PM »

I've actually heard Thabo is one of the guys they're looking to move as well.

Yeah, I actually heard that too.  He seems like he could end up being more of a defensive stopper role playing type than anything else.

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
« Reply #1165 on: January 09, 2009, 09:04:16 AM »
Blazer threaten to sue other teams because they were stupid:
http://basketball.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/56489/20090109/blazers_issue_warning_about_miles/

This is ridiculous.  Obviously they have zero legal footing, but figure maybe they can make the expense, legal hassle and publicity a disincentive to other teams signing Miles.  What a joke.

Offline Skates

• View Profile
« Reply #1166 on: January 09, 2009, 09:15:27 AM »
Blazer threaten to sue other teams because they were stupid:
http://basketball.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/56489/20090109/blazers_issue_warning_about_miles/

This is ridiculous.  Obviously they have zero legal footing, but figure maybe they can make the expense, legal hassle and publicity a disincentive to other teams signing Miles.  What a joke.

It should make for a nice lawsuit by Miles if he doesn't get signed.  So much for any respect I had developed for the Blazers as an organization.

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
« Reply #1167 on: January 09, 2009, 10:37:45 AM »
I wonder if this will develop into 'Miles-gate.'  I would not be surprised if Portland 'encouraged' Memphis to cut Miles.

Offline Skates

• View Profile
« Reply #1168 on: January 09, 2009, 11:18:27 AM »
There are already a bunch of teams pissed off by the Blazers threats, plus Miles' agent is already talking lawsuit.  Nice.  Time for big Dave to step in and put this fire out.  If Cuban did not already have his own legal problems you know he would be trying to sign Miles as we speak.

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
« Reply #1169 on: January 11, 2009, 11:35:20 AM »
Sam Interview

http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?story_id=11188
Dalembert Might Be Looking For A Change

By: Librado Wright 

Samuel Dalembert has made it known more than once this season and throughout his career that he is not a role player, nor is he a guy who should play limited minutes.

So far this season Dalembert has found himself having to play inconsistent minutes and sometimes scratching his head wondering where he fits into the 76ers' offense.

"Last season everything clicked and worked for myself and this team. This season it has been a struggle. I haven't felt really comfortable at spots that made me successful last season," admitted Dalembert. "I feel good physically so I just need the ball more for things to start working. I am still the same player and still have the same skills so I don't know what the problem is."

With so much uncertainty and unhappiness, does Dalembert want to play somewhere other than Philadelphia, a team that drafted him and who he once declared the only city he wanted to play for?

"I love this team and city. I wouldn't see myself playing anywhere else. But I don't know about anyone else. We have a good nucleus on this team and it has been like that since I have been here. We just need to figure out what we want to do on both ends of the court."

For a player who a year ago was ecstatic about playing for the 76ers, what went wrong?

"Not getting the minutes you are used to. Not feeling like a part of the team's execution on offense. With a season that I thought would be big for me and this team, it has disappointed so far on how things have gone. From day one this season it has been tough to find a rhythm and playing the way we did last season."

Multiple issues can be looked at, but it is quite simple. Dalembert is averaging all career-lows (24.2mpg, 5.6ppg, 8.1rpg) and over the last four games has only played 15 minutes per contest. There are guys like veteran Theo Ratliffe and rookie Marresse Speights who are logging more minutes at the center position than Dalembert this season.

Maybe the writing was on the wall for Dalembert when it was reported a few times before the season started that then 76ers' head coach
Maurice Cheeks had flirted with the idea of starting Speights over Dalembert.
Dalembert shook off the rumors and speculation at the time, but this time around he seems to be serious about his feelings on his role on this team.

"It's not a secret I am not happy with the minutes, but I still love this team and the players we have assembled. Like I said we have a good nucleus with great coaches we just need to get things going. I haven't gotten in that rhythm to feel completely comfortable on the court. We need to get back to doing things that help this team be successful."

The rumor mill has had Dalembert on the move of late, but moving him is not as easy at it looks and because of the way the salary caps and rosters are assembled nowadays that task might be called impossible. 

It's called a trade kicker. If the 76ers do decide they wanted to move Dalembert, his contract states that a 15% jump will be taken into effect on the overall dollar amount. If a trade would come about, the team accepting Dalembert would have to pay the remaining $23 million on top of the kicker for the next two years left on his contract. For a guy who is averaging less than 25 minutes and playing inconsistent basketball
that could be a huge risk.

On the other side, maybe a change of scenery is what Dalembert needs. A season ago the six-year pro averaged a double-double and was marked as one of the best defenders in the Eastern Conference. Dalembert's feelings might be changing, but for the 76ers, having him on this roster might be the smart move with so many games left to play this season. Perhaps he can still return to form and help the Sixers reach the postseason.