Author Topic: Player Movement Thread (Was Free Agency Thread)  (Read 253692 times)

Offline Skates

• View Profile
Re: Player Movement Thread (Was Free Agency Thread)
« Reply #1080 on: December 16, 2008, 12:23:01 AM »
This year's college freshman class has not taken the world by storm, that's for sure.  Jennings has started slowly over in Europe as well.  Of course, I hope we are picking in the late teens to early 20's where it is more of a matter of finding a gem.  I would prefer to get someone like Foye and draft a rookie PG, sort of like grabbing Speights and Brand for the PF spot this year.

Offline Skates

• View Profile
« Reply #1081 on: December 17, 2008, 11:03:13 AM »
From everything I read the most likely "available" superstar level player this year/summer will be Amare.  If true, do you want him and how do you get him?  We would need a big salary, draft picks and at a minimum Thad or Speights (I would not give up both)?  Any chance they take Brand plus Thad or Speights?  Dalembert or Miller, draft picks, and Speights or Thad?  Wait until the summer and build a package around Iggy (no longer BYC) and Speights?  Expand the deal?

This could be our Kevin Garnett move with Speights as our Al Jefferson.  Brand at the high post with Amare down low, would it work? 

jemagee

« Reply #1082 on: December 17, 2008, 11:13:06 AM »
Amare and Brand on the same team?

Not sure

According to the reports I've read, Amare wants to be 'the man' - in terms of the suns roster i'd much rather make a move for nash than amare - if possible

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
« Reply #1083 on: December 17, 2008, 11:25:08 AM »
I'd give them Sam and Thad, but I don't see them interested.

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
« Reply #1084 on: December 17, 2008, 11:29:46 AM »
They were insterested in Sam all those years ago, for what it's worth.

jemagee

« Reply #1085 on: December 17, 2008, 11:32:46 AM »
But they're already paying one over paid center - and have a new GM and system...would they still be interested in Sam? (I mean I'm all for trading Sam)

But again, brand and amare on the same team?  I'm assuming one starts at center, but that seems odd to me, it would actually make more sense to trade brand if you're going to obtain amare (i think age wise he fits better too doesn't he) and give him an extension?

Offline Skates

• View Profile
« Reply #1086 on: December 17, 2008, 02:14:05 PM »
The first real question is whether Phoenix is going to kick into rebuilding mode or not.  That would determine the type of assets they would want.  Their owner is pretty strict with the payroll, at least as far as the luxury tax goes, but Kerr is pretty aggressive.  As noted, Amare is alleged to have some real attitude issues as well.

jemagee

« Reply #1087 on: December 17, 2008, 02:16:03 PM »
Well Phoenix supposedly looks 'better' after the violation they committed upon Charlotte (the police were called to investigate but since the alleged Victim, a one Michael Jordan, is hardly ever in Charlotte, jurisdictional issues put the kibosh on the investigation) but I still think the Shaq move reeked of stupid desperation and firing D'antoni was silly.  If I were GM i'd rebuild now and take advantage of the high value of Nash and Stoudemire

Offline anklebreaker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #1088 on: December 17, 2008, 02:30:02 PM »
I still think the Shaq move reeked of stupid desperation

But they got Shaq to help them get past San Antonio in the playoffs.  See how well it worked out?   

Offline Skates

• View Profile
« Reply #1089 on: December 17, 2008, 02:59:12 PM »
Well Phoenix supposedly looks 'better' after the violation they committed upon Charlotte (the police were called to investigate but since the alleged Victim, a one Michael Jordan, is hardly ever in Charlotte, jurisdictional issues put the kibosh on the investigation) but I still think the Shaq move reeked of stupid desperation and firing D'antoni was silly.  If I were GM i'd rebuild now and take advantage of the high value of Nash and Stoudemire

IIRC the latest rumor is that they wanted to get the deal done quickly enough so that Diaw would be eligible to be re-packaged before the deadline in a deal with NY for Curry.  Essentially trading Jason Richardson for Raja Bell and Eddy Curry, that is not stealing that is pillaging.  Don't foget that LB surely had a hand in this with MJ.  Can you just imagine the stroke Brown will have screaming at Curry in practice?

jemagee

« Reply #1090 on: December 17, 2008, 02:59:57 PM »
I keep reading that rumor but what the HELL would larry brown do with eddy curry?  I just don't buy it - sure it saves new york a little money (2.2 mil in the magic year) but why would larry brown want eddy curry?

Offline Skates

• View Profile
« Reply #1091 on: December 18, 2008, 07:38:11 PM »
Richard hendrix cut by GS to make room for Monta Ellis.  Any interest?  He was definitely caught in a numbers game in GS behind Harrington, Biedrins, Turiaf, Randolph and Wright on a team that doesn't play big very often.  We have Brand out for a month and I'm hoping a move of Sammy somewhere down the road, plus we have an open roster spot.  The guy interested me as a second rounder back during draft time.  What do you think?

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3780010

« Last Edit: December 18, 2008, 07:43:50 PM by Skates »

jemagee

« Reply #1092 on: December 18, 2008, 07:41:05 PM »
You know - I didn't even know the sixers had a roster space left...I mean right now they have bigger issues - but sure sign him up - couldn't hurt - he can probably out play reggie?

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
« Reply #1093 on: December 18, 2008, 07:42:00 PM »
With the extra roster spot sounds like a good idea.  There may even be minutes available.

Offline Skates

• View Profile
« Reply #1094 on: December 18, 2008, 07:43:27 PM »
Supposedly they were saving the roster spot in case they needed it later in the season.  I think they need it now.