Author Topic: Player Movement Thread (Was Free Agency Thread)  (Read 252837 times)

Offline Skates

• View Profile
Re: Tracking Free Agency
« Reply #870 on: July 31, 2008, 08:06:45 PM »
What will ahppen when the seven and a half foot, 300+ pound immovable (mainly because his leg or foot is always broken) object teams up with the irresistably insane force?  Sounds like the makings of a cheesy Harry Hamlin Clash of the Titans remake.

Hmmm... it sounds to me as though you, like everyone else, has Dark Knight Fever.

Quote from: The Joker
You just couldn't let me go could you? This is what happens when an unstoppable force meets an immovable object. You truly are incorruptible aren't you? You won't kill me out of some misplaced sense of self-righteousness, and I won't kill you, because you're just too much fun. I think you and I are destined to do this forever.

Ron-Ron might be the only guy crazy enough to play the Joker correctly after Ledger's death.  It was one heck of a movie, I fear the third installment will have a difficult time measuring up.

Offline Skates

• View Profile
« Reply #871 on: July 31, 2008, 08:08:41 PM »
Some FA housekeeping stuff.

LAC signs good old Brian Skinner:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3513711

LAC also cut Josh Powell yesterday.

The Bulls cut JameSon Curry, likely due to a combination of him sucking and the public urination incident.

Offline anklebreaker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #872 on: July 31, 2008, 08:19:26 PM »
I wonder if Skinner will dye the tip of his goat red now that he's a member of the clip show. 

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
« Reply #873 on: July 31, 2008, 08:34:40 PM »
I wonder if Skinner will dye the tip of his goat red now that he's a member of the clip show. 

After the Sixer's sign Iguodala, that might remain as the most pressing question of the offseason. ;D

Offline Skates

• View Profile
« Reply #874 on: July 31, 2008, 09:48:26 PM »

After the Sixer's sign Iguodala, that might remain as the most pressing question of the offseason. ;D

Sadly, my lack of a life will become even more pronounced.  Next thing you know I will be forced to spend quality time with the kids.

jemagee

« Reply #875 on: July 31, 2008, 09:51:32 PM »
Soul Calibur IV

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
« Reply #876 on: July 31, 2008, 10:10:43 PM »
My wife is back in town tomorrow night, so I won't be "wasting all this time in front of the computer."

She's right- but you know one could be doing much worse counter-productive things on the computer... ::)

Offline Skates

• View Profile
« Reply #877 on: July 31, 2008, 10:15:35 PM »
She's right- but you know one could be doing much worse counter-productive things on the computer... ::)

It's called multi-tasking, try it.  ;D

Actually my new laptop is supposed to be delivered tomorrow so I expect to spend a large part of my weekend cursing as I try to get my new wireless network set up at home.

Offline Skates

• View Profile
« Reply #878 on: August 01, 2008, 10:19:02 AM »
Interesting tidbit about Paxson being essentially neutered in Chicago:

K.C. Johnson of The Chicago Tribune: "GM John Paxson downplayed the fact Chairman Jerry Reinsdorf and player personnel director Gar Forman have handled negotiations for Deng and Gordon. 'My personality is such that sometimes it's good for me to take a step back and view it a little less emotionally,' he said. 'I'm not sitting there not knowing what's going on.'"

Offline anklebreaker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #879 on: August 01, 2008, 10:58:05 AM »
Interesting tidbit about Paxson being essentially neutered in Chicago:

K.C. Johnson of The Chicago Tribune: "GM John Paxson downplayed the fact Chairman Jerry Reinsdorf and player personnel director Gar Forman have handled negotiations for Deng and Gordon. 'My personality is such that sometimes it's good for me to take a step back and view it a little less emotionally,' he said. 'I'm not sitting there not knowing what's going on.'"

Sounds like Paxson is doing his best Bobby Clark impression. 

jemagee

« Reply #880 on: August 01, 2008, 10:58:28 AM »
Blaming the goalie?

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
« Reply #881 on: August 01, 2008, 01:04:28 PM »
I'm not talking about Iguodala for a while at RealGM, but I had a question, so I'll ask it here:

Players should be paid in order to build a winner, but do you think a player should be paid a bit more if they are exciting to watch, and a little less if they are boring?

The NBA is an entertainment business- and they ussually pay guys a big premium if they put people in the seats (like AI.)  I don't think fans pay to go see Iguodala, but I expect the arena to really rock when the team gets out on the break- especially if Iguodala throws it down.  There is some team value in this, as getting the crowd pumped can sometimes spark the team- but do you think it is worth $'s?

Conversely, a guy like Miller who is much less flashy (except for some of the passes), should he get paid less for being dull?  Should Duncan?  Both players lead to wins, and do things that result in teammates making exciting plays, so maybe they should not get punished for being fundamentally solid.

jemagee

« Reply #882 on: August 01, 2008, 01:44:52 PM »
Players should be paid in order to build a winner, but do you think a player should be paid a bit more if they are exciting to watch, and a little less if they are boring?

No...and here's why

The san antonio spurs are boring as hell to watch but they draw very well in san antonio (I don't know their road attendance) because they win...if you win fans show up...plain and simple (to me)...exciting but not winning, see the last few years of Iverson on the sixers...people will stop coming

Offline Skates

• View Profile
« Reply #883 on: August 01, 2008, 03:00:39 PM »
If you have a guy who is flashy and you can build around, great.  He has value because he can put fannies in the seats while you build a winner around him.  Flashy alone only works for so long as we saw with Iverson.  Personally I think the key to filling the arena is quality management,  Get the right FO people in place and entertaining, winning b-ball will follow.  For a good example of how not to build around flash over substance see the case of Mike Vick and the Atlanta Falcons.

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
« Reply #884 on: August 01, 2008, 03:15:03 PM »
Arguably, last year the Sixers flash was their only substance.  It might sound trite, but the litterally played harded than their oponents and rant them off the court.  It was exciting, but probably not sustainable- esp in the playoffs. 

I hope Brand adds the half court scoring without changing the teams willingness to take risks and run.  That's part of why it was improtant to resign Lou and Iguodala.  Those guys more than any led the "special teams"- the trabsition from defense to offense (Lou may be a poor defender, but he sure knows how to put pressure on a defense.)