Author Topic: Player Movement Thread (Was Free Agency Thread)  (Read 253724 times)

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
Re: Tracking Free Agency
« Reply #705 on: July 21, 2008, 11:40:45 AM »
I wonder if the sixers could 'steal' childress from the hawks, he's an excellent sixth man that can play back up at the 3 and the 2 (to a lesser extent) maybe they'll take willlie green and reggie evans, at least they are under contract :)

If any sixer scout said Smith is a definite starter in this league and was serious about it, he should be fired.

Childress is an ideal 6th man, because he can legitimately back up 3 positions.  he played point a bunch for Atl, and although not a floor general, he could certainly man the point (or share it) next to either Lou or Iguodala.

The only huge issue ith Childress is that he is yet another player who shoots a high percentage but not a great jumper (ugly, low, slow release.)  Its great to have guys like that, but you can't fill your roster with them (Miller, Iguodala, Thad are enough.)

Seems like a lot of quality players are on the block, but the Sixers are really in a weak position given they anly have Smith, Evans and WG to deal.

jemagee

« Reply #706 on: July 21, 2008, 11:47:22 AM »
Well if Childress is planning on playing in greece, the hawks aren't exactly in a strong position either...teams don't usually lose restricted free agents without a chance to at least match the contract, he signs in greece the hawks get nothing but keeping his rights if he ever comes back (and i wonder, can they trade those rights?)...the hawks are a fracking mess and someone needs to take advantage...why not the sixers

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
« Reply #707 on: July 21, 2008, 11:57:32 AM »
Even if he is not the ideal fit- if Ed got Childress for WG or Evans I would start doing cartwheels, or at least would try.

jemagee

« Reply #708 on: July 21, 2008, 12:00:32 PM »
If Ed stefanski can get a shorter contract for WG I'd do a snoopy dance (i'm not crazy enough to try cartwheels)

Offline Skates

• View Profile
« Reply #709 on: July 21, 2008, 01:14:12 PM »
Well if Childress is planning on playing in greece, the hawks aren't exactly in a strong position either...teams don't usually lose restricted free agents without a chance to at least match the contract, he signs in greece the hawks get nothing but keeping his rights if he ever comes back (and i wonder, can they trade those rights?)...the hawks are a fracking mess and someone needs to take advantage...why not the sixers

Having Childress on the bench would make me feel much better about eventually moving Iggy for more of a shooting SG if needed.

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
« Reply #710 on: July 21, 2008, 01:49:16 PM »

Having Childress on the bench would make me feel much better about eventually moving Iggy for more of a shooting SG if needed.

If we did have a better shooting starting five (Brand shoots well... replace Miller? and improved shooting from Young and Iguodala may be good enough), then I picture Lou/Childress/Speights as being the best 6-8 guys in the league in 2-3 years.  All three will be great bench guys due to their versatility and ability to score.

Offline DuckyNinja

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #711 on: July 21, 2008, 03:33:32 PM »

If we did have a better shooting starting five (Brand shoots well... replace Miller? and improved shooting from Young and Iguodala may be good enough), then I picture Lou/Childress/Speights as being the best 6-8 guys in the league in 2-3 years.  All three will be great bench guys due to their versatility and ability to score.

We could always replace Dalembert with Smith in the starting lineup.  I hear he's pretty consistent out to around 18 feet and a definite starter in this league.

jemagee

« Reply #712 on: July 21, 2008, 03:59:39 PM »
could always replace Dalembert with Smith in the starting lineup.  I hear he's pretty consistent out to around 18 feet and a definite starter in this league.

There's an idea that makes a lot of sense, in the way that cheese boots make sense

Offline DuckyNinja

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #713 on: July 21, 2008, 04:02:59 PM »
could always replace Dalembert with Smith in the starting lineup.  I hear he's pretty consistent out to around 18 feet and a definite starter in this league.

There's an idea that makes a lot of sense, in the way that cheese boots make sense

You obviously failed to see the facetiousness of my post.

jemagee

« Reply #714 on: July 21, 2008, 04:07:04 PM »
No, I saw it, just didn't find it all that humorous or amusing

Offline Skates

• View Profile
« Reply #715 on: July 21, 2008, 07:59:52 PM »
No, I saw it, just didn't find it all that humorous or amusing

And you went all cheese boots on him.  It was not cheese boots bad, just punny.

Offline TheGuiltyParty

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #716 on: July 22, 2008, 07:54:54 AM »
From the reports in the papers today, it's sounding like a lot of the high name RFAs are not going to be signing long-term deals with their current teams this summer.

Okafor apparently wants to work a sign-and-trade to leave Charlotte or will take the one year tender.

Deng has given the Bulls until August 4th to work this out or he's taking the one year tender.

Josh Smith is apparently upset at the Hawks and wants out.

Childress is apparently considering going to Greece.

Ben Gordon and the Bulls are way off as well so he could be signing the one year tender.

This certainly could be a bluff by the agents since the FAs have little leverage right now but it is interesting to see how this is all playing out.

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
« Reply #717 on: July 22, 2008, 08:16:44 AM »

This certainly could be a bluff by the agents since the FAs have little leverage right now but it is interesting to see how this is all playing out.

Last year when Sideshow Bob was holding out from the Cavs I thought that this summer could get ugly, given players expect a certain salary, but GM's have the upper hand with the limitted open market. Many of the big spenders are not willing to deal, instead looking to clear space fro the summer '10.  I think hold-outs trying to force trades are more likely than player signing the one year tender.

A player like Iguodala or Smith would lose 6M by taking the QO- money they would never get back- and who knows how much they would have to spend for an insurance policy to guard against windfall losses if they suffer an injury that effects there value on the free market.

Offline Skates

• View Profile
« Reply #718 on: July 22, 2008, 08:32:55 AM »
The agents over-played their hands last year and now if they back down they look like buffoons, which may be accurate in some cases.  They would be smarter going the route of getting a three year deal at money that will set them for life financially and still become UFA's in their prime.  That is pretty much what Wade, LBJ, CP3 and Deron Williams did, albeit those higher level players got the max and the opt out.  But $30 million for three years for guys like Smith, Iggy, Deng, Ellis and Biedrins would make sense, a little less for Gordon and even less for Childress.  The one guy who is at a bit of a disadvantage is Okafor since he is no spring chicken compared to the other young guys.  If these guys take the tender, expect a lot of them to get traded mid-season.  It would work nicely for the Sixers as it would give them some cap room if it happened before Lou Williams signed his deal.

jemagee

« Reply #719 on: July 22, 2008, 09:00:55 AM »
Childress looks seroius about going to greece, the whole 'team childress' is there, greece is a beautiful place to live compared to atlanta according to some people, he's getting a better contract offer and doesn't have to pay taxes

Luol Deng tells the bulls that if they don't have a deal by the time the olympics start, he's done negotating, will take tender offer and be a UFA next year

Emeka Okafor is rumored to be done dealing with the bobcats, and either wants them to work out a sign and trade somewhere or he'll take the one year tender.

The warriors and sixers are making no movement with their restricted free agents.

You know what word comes to mind?

Collusion