Author Topic: Player Movement Thread (Was Free Agency Thread)  (Read 253640 times)

Offline anklebreaker

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Tracking Free Agency
« Reply #675 on: July 17, 2008, 05:15:55 PM »
Marcus WIlliams, I believe, would be a fine replacement to miller after next season and will continue to advocate obtaining him until the nets finally trade him somewhere else

What would you give up for him?  They're loaded with young bigs, so I doubt they'd want Smith... they most likely don't want Evans or his salary since they are supposedly trying to clear cap room for 2010... Needless to say, Willie Green is out.  Future pick? 

jemagee

« Reply #676 on: July 17, 2008, 05:22:45 PM »
I'd give up a future pick for Williams because

1.  He's worth a future pick
2.  The sixers future picks at least for the near future seem lower third of the first round i would bet.

I would have given up carney for him as well when the sixers had him...

Unfortunately, the sixers don't have a lot of valuable trade assets at the moment.

Offline anklebreaker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #677 on: July 17, 2008, 05:37:58 PM »
I'd give up a future pick for Williams because

1.  He's worth a future pick
2.  The sixers future picks at least for the near future seem lower third of the first round i would bet.

I would have given up carney for him as well when the sixers had him...

Unfortunately, the sixers don't have a lot of valuable trade assets at the moment.

I could see it... Williams would probably be better than anything we'd obtain late in the first round, and he would address a few needs. 

Offline Skates

• View Profile
« Reply #678 on: July 17, 2008, 06:32:00 PM »
Even giving up a future pick we could not take on Williams' salary.  I think the key to a Nets deal is getting a third team involved, maybe closer to the deadline.  The Nets are trying hard to get rid of VC, but I want no parts of him or his contract.

jemagee

« Reply #679 on: July 17, 2008, 07:17:32 PM »
Is williams a second or third year player, if he's second, the length of the contract and value have to be close to equal to J-Smiths right?

Offline Skates

• View Profile
« Reply #680 on: July 17, 2008, 09:33:26 PM »
Is williams a second or third year player, if he's second, the length of the contract and value have to be close to equal to J-Smiths right?

His contract is a match for Jason Smith's contract, but I don't think I would make that trade.  I would like to pick Williams up as part of a larger deal, but I am not giving up my one trade/salary chip for him even up.  He has issues coming out of college and is supposedly thought of poorly in NJ.  Stefanski should know him pretty well, if he thinkd he is a future starter I'd be Ok with it.  As a reserve we have bigger needs and I'd rather have Kyle Lowry as a bench player.

Offline Sub

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #681 on: July 18, 2008, 08:12:59 AM »
I think Williams is a potential starter, so I'd probably do a deal including Smith. But NJ's flush with big men now(Lopez, Boone, Williams, Yi, Anderson) and who knows what's going on with Krstic. Not sure Smith would be an option for them.  I'd trade a future first.

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
« Reply #682 on: July 18, 2008, 08:13:51 AM »
From th epaper this morning:
Through a quirk in the collective bargaining agreement, the Sixers were able to add slightly more salary-cap space for the signing of Elton Brand by renouncing a group of former players who last played for them, but had not filed retirement paperwork. A source said the list included Rick Mahorn (who was last with the Sixers in 1999), former Villanova star Michael Bradley, Derrick McKey, Rodney Rogers and Alan Henderson.

Damn, I guess that means Mahorn won't be coming out of retirement.

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
« Reply #683 on: July 18, 2008, 08:27:23 AM »
From Tom Moore (Phillyburbs Sixers Blog):

What is a fair price for Iguodala?

Sixers president Ed Stefanski confirmed that he has had discussions with restricted free agent swingman Andre Iguodala. Not surprisingly, Stefanski said in an e-mail response that he ?won?t talk about the negotiations.?

Last October, Iguodala turned down $57 million over five years from the Sixers because he believed he was worth roughly $65 million.After a pretty good regular season (19.9 points, 5.4 rebounds, 4.8 assists, 2.1 steals) and a tough playoff series against Tayshaun Prince and the Pistons (13.2 points, 33.3 percent FG, 14.3 percent 3-point shooting), what do you think is a fair price for Iguodala in today?s market? Would $50 million over five years be reasonable for a versatile player who should be more comfortable where he belongs ? as a second option to Elton Brand?

http://blogs.phillyburbs.com/blog.php/?p=32425&cat=173#more-32425

8M over 5 years does not look like that big of a gap.  The difference beteen stating at 9.75M and starting at 11M.  That a gap of 1.25M for the satrting salary doesn't seem that wide a chasm.

Offline Skates

• View Profile
« Reply #684 on: July 18, 2008, 08:28:56 AM »
Clips sign Azibuike from GS to an offer sheet:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3494107

jemagee

« Reply #685 on: July 18, 2008, 08:43:17 AM »
I think Williams is a potential starter, so I'd probably do a deal including Smith. But NJ's flush with big men now(Lopez, Boone, Williams, Yi, Anderson) and who knows what's going on with Krstic. Not sure Smith would be an option for them.  I'd trade a future first.

It was matching up the salaries more than the position...give them smith and a future first...

jemagee

« Reply #686 on: July 18, 2008, 08:44:36 AM »
Russias gone crazy

3 years 30 million

For Carlos Delfino?
ANd it's not huge amounts but ronny turiafs deal is also a declinging deal

4.5, 4.2, 4.2, 4.1

I think that's the 'new thing'?
« Last Edit: July 18, 2008, 08:46:32 AM by jemagee »

Offline anklebreaker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #687 on: July 18, 2008, 09:02:18 AM »
More breaking news.... Malik Allen signs with Bucks.

Offline sixers hoops

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #688 on: July 18, 2008, 09:04:32 AM »
Russias gone crazy

3 years 30 million

For Carlos Delfino?
ANd it's not huge amounts but ronny turiafs deal is also a declinging deal

4.5, 4.2, 4.2, 4.1

I think that's the 'new thing'?

The first year 4.5 was to make it more difficult for the Lakers to match, and not as much about future cap flexibility, from what I read. I'm not sure if you were referring to the "new thing" as frontloading contracts so other teams can't match, or creating contracts with declining salaries to free-up future cap space.

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
« Reply #689 on: July 18, 2008, 09:33:24 AM »

It was matching up the salaries more than the position...give them smith and a future first...

I'm not a big fan of trading away future firsts for unproven players (reminds me too much of Kenny Thomas.)  DiLeo has shown he can sometimes find the diomond in the rough with draft picks.

I guess it depends on how sold you are on Williams.