Author Topic: Player Movement Thread (Was Free Agency Thread)  (Read 253496 times)

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
Re: Tracking Free Agency
« Reply #630 on: July 15, 2008, 09:36:55 PM »
I can't imagine a player would risk signing a one year offer unless they can get some sort of huge insurance policy. 

My guess is that they hold out until they are traded.

Offline TheGuiltyParty

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #631 on: July 15, 2008, 09:40:12 PM »
I think there's a chance Childress gets the full MLE. Gordon on the other hand is going to have a bit of a problem. I don't know that Chicago would work out a sign and trade unless they got a good PF in return.

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
« Reply #632 on: July 15, 2008, 09:49:26 PM »
I'll send them our '07 starting PF and thrwo in the starting SG- but I doubt Evans and Green would make a deal happen.

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
« Reply #633 on: July 15, 2008, 10:12:58 PM »
2 starters for a bench player?  Chicago should jump at that.

Offline TheGuiltyParty

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #634 on: July 15, 2008, 10:23:21 PM »
Now that the Clips are done, shouldn't free agency pretty much be wrapped up by this time next week? I mean, shouldn't we hear that some of these RFAs have signed deals over the next couple of days?
« Last Edit: July 15, 2008, 10:49:46 PM by TheGuiltyParty »

jemagee

« Reply #635 on: July 15, 2008, 10:45:12 PM »
Varejao and Pavlovic went the entire off season without signing a whit...all depends on how much of a hard line the players/agents want to stick to.

Offline Skates

• View Profile
« Reply #636 on: July 15, 2008, 10:50:35 PM »
Now we just need to steal Crit for Smith.

If we get Novak from Houston (6'10" shooter), a Smith + second rounder for Crit deal would make tons of sense for both teams.  If Memphis is moving him they need a big man, not someone like Bogans (current rumor).  Both players are tweeners, unproven and fill a positional need for the acquiring team. Make it happen Ed.

Offline sixers hoops

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #637 on: July 15, 2008, 10:51:41 PM »
Now that the Clips are done, shouldn't free agency pretty much be wrapped up by this time next week? I mean, shouldn't we here that some of these RFAs have signed deals over the next couple of days?

Often, the restricted guys will just sit and wait and accept the qualifying offer late summer. Someone like Josh Smith or Ben Gordon would be better off waiting. Iggy getting an offer at 11 per would be wise to accept. Even if he has another strong season, the money still won't be much better, so he should lock in the long-term security now.

Josh Smith may be able to get enough to make the risk of waiting a year worth it, because:
A) he is getting low-balled by his team.
B) he is a big man and would command more than the hawks may be willing to offer on the opening market.

So you may not see all of these sign, but it will become apparent who will just take the qualifying offer as reports surface about who is close to a deal and who like will take the QO.

Offline TheGuiltyParty

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #638 on: July 15, 2008, 11:03:46 PM »
That's a decent enough theory, Hoops. Besides Memphis, who else figures to have cap space next year? I suppose Miami will but they are rumored to be targeting Boozer. Anyone else?

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
« Reply #639 on: July 16, 2008, 06:11:41 AM »
That's a decent enough theory, Hoops. Besides Memphis, who else figures to have cap space next year? I suppose Miami will but they are rumored to be targeting Boozer. Anyone else?

Denver will have some capspace when AI is gone, but not a ton.  It depends on what they sign JR for.

Offline Sub

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #640 on: July 16, 2008, 07:03:55 AM »
If we get Novak from Houston (6'10" shooter), a Smith + second rounder for Crit deal would make tons of sense for both teams.

I'd like a Crittenton trade even if Novak isn't acquired. He doesn't make Smith expendable as much as he fills a spot at the end of the bench for the occasional late-game three point attempt.

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
« Reply #641 on: July 16, 2008, 07:21:55 AM »
If we get Novak from Houston (6'10" shooter), a Smith + second rounder for Crit deal would make tons of sense for both teams.

I'd like a Crittenton trade even if Novak isn't acquired. He doesn't make Smith expendable as much as he fills a spot at the end of the bench for the occasional late-game three point attempt.

I have to think Memphis could get more than Jason Smith.  I would be shocked if that's all he went for.

Offline Sub

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #642 on: July 16, 2008, 07:43:37 AM »

I have to think Memphis could get more than Jason Smith.  I would be shocked if that's all he went for.

As much as I like Crittenton, there may be the temptation to overvalue him a tad based on that. Smith's a skilled big man, picked not long after Crittenton. Crit's still really a project, albeit one with a ton of potential. The additional second rounder makes it an even swap for me.

jemagee

« Reply #643 on: July 16, 2008, 08:48:54 AM »
It doesn't matter where players are picked the moment their first season starts, Smith is a soft 7 footer with some outside range, but not 3 point range, who is foul prone...there's a 'temptation' of sixers fans to over value sixers players in general...

What's their age difference again?

jemagee

« Reply #644 on: July 16, 2008, 09:00:54 AM »
Hoopshype is reporting rumblings that the rockets are about to make a minor move, maybe novak or luther head, additionally dorsey hasn't signed yet and wasn't suited up for summer league game...that's all hoopsworld info/speculation