Author Topic: Player Movement Thread (Was Free Agency Thread)  (Read 250523 times)

Offline Skates

• View Profile
Re: Tracking Free Agency
« Reply #360 on: July 09, 2008, 09:41:46 AM »
The brand news changes in the last 24 hours leading up to the midnight deadline...I don't doubt SF said what he knew but it was a very fluid situation and he said what he knew at the time, who knows how fast the carney booth thing turned around.

Thanks for the laughs this morning all

It's so nice to have a GM that saw an unexpected opportunity present itself as part of that fluid situation, quickly reacted, went for the jugular, and got his man without gutting the team in any significant manner.

Offline TheGuiltyParty

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #361 on: July 09, 2008, 10:28:02 AM »
There is some news today....

Turiaf signed an offer sheet with GSW for 4 years/$4MIL per season. The Lakers have 7 days to match but I think they're going to pass. Also, Josh Smith is supposedly in LA and may be meeting with the Clippers today. According to Marc Stein, the Clips plan to go after Smith and Okafor. That actually may impact negotiations with Iguodala since I'm sure Dre will want a deal similar to Smith.

jemagee

« Reply #362 on: July 09, 2008, 10:55:50 AM »
Unless they are worried about luxury tax payments, and I don't think Buss is, i don't think they are going to pass on Turiaf...turiaf is one of those bench guys you really need to win a title in my opinion...he does so many things off the bench and the lakers (and their fans) love him and I wish the sixers had someway to get him cause i'd value him over every other back up PF on the roster who isn't a rookie.

jemagee

« Reply #363 on: July 09, 2008, 11:16:59 AM »
James Jones to the Heat?

Offline TheGuiltyParty

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #364 on: July 09, 2008, 12:38:23 PM »
Is that happening???

jemagee

« Reply #365 on: July 09, 2008, 12:47:33 PM »
Is that happening???
According to ESPN yes, 5 year deal

Offline Skates

• View Profile
« Reply #366 on: July 09, 2008, 01:07:09 PM »
Is that happening???
According to ESPN yes, 5 year deal

He is a Miami kid college and, I believe, HS-wise.  It makes the likelihood of MArion, Wright and or Cook being moved a little greater.  If we traded Jason Smith for Cook can we get our second round pick back too?  :)

Offline DuckyNinja

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #367 on: July 09, 2008, 01:15:02 PM »
Notable possibly cheap 3 point shooting FAs out there, not sure if we can offer anything more than the vet minimum (isn't there like a 2 mil exception that you get once every 2 years or something like that?), but with Brand, who knows which we could sign/S+T:

Restricted (possible S+T):
JR Smith: Good 3 point shooter/scorer, bit of a head case but certainly would be a good fit for the Sixers bench
Daniel "Boobie" Gibson: Doubt we can pull him away, but he's a great 3 point shooter and could probably back up Miller
Sasha Vujacic: See Gibson, but without the backup PG abilities
Carlos Delfino: Would probably come cheap, as I really see no room for him in Toronto.  Shot the 3 well last year, but that was the first time in his career
Kelenna Azubuike: We might be able to get him should the cap numbers not work out in GS.  Good 3 point shooter/scorer, would be a good fit for the Sixers bench
Delonte West: Average 3 point shooter, might be able to back up Miller?

Unrestricted:
Ricky Davis: I know the "no, just no".  But for the sake of completion, he's here.
Livingston/Dooling/C Arroyo/Pargo/A Johnson: Backup PG options
Brent Barry: Maybe like Brand, he can be convinced to come to the easier conference?
Bostjan Nachbar: He's been generally average or above average.  We'd probably need to work out an S+T for him and give him something in the 5/15 range.
J-Williams/D Stoudamire/Cassell/Dixon/Lue/Telfair/L Hunter: Other backup PGs out there.
Hayes/Finley/Rush/Giricek/F Jones/M Evans: Other somewhat good SG/SF 3 point shooters.

Offline Skates

• View Profile
« Reply #368 on: July 09, 2008, 03:59:58 PM »
Since we are pretty much limited to very cheap shooters, you usually have to wait until late in FA to pick those guys up or take a chance on a guy with minimal value, perhaps due to an injury history for example or just coming out of a bad situation, that you think might blossom a little for your team.  Detroit made a nice pick-up of Jarvis Hayes like that last year.  We have the advantage of being painted as a winning team now which helps, a la Eddie House and Posey going to Boston last year.

Offline DuckyNinja

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #369 on: July 09, 2008, 04:24:56 PM »
Since we are pretty much limited to very cheap shooters, you usually have to wait until late in FA to pick those guys up or take a chance on a guy with minimal value, perhaps due to an injury history for example or just coming out of a bad situation, that you think might blossom a little for your team.  Detroit made a nice pick-up of Jarvis Hayes like that last year.  We have the advantage of being painted as a winning team now which helps, a la Eddie House and Posey going to Boston last year.

We can S+T Ollie for any contract up to like 4 mil if we're willing to sweeten the pot.

Offline Skates

• View Profile
« Reply #370 on: July 09, 2008, 05:04:35 PM »

We can S+T Ollie for any contract up to like 4 mil if we're willing to sweeten the pot.

Didn't we have to renounce him to sign Brand?  We could still re-sign him, but then the usual limitations on trading free agents would kick in, not free for a S&T after renouncing his Bird rights I think.

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
« Reply #371 on: July 09, 2008, 07:12:57 PM »
Didn't we have to renounce him to sign Brand?
Yes.  We no longer have rights to Kevin Ollie.

Offline DuckyNinja

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #372 on: July 09, 2008, 07:14:18 PM »
Didn't we have to renounce him to sign Brand?
Yes.  We no longer have rights to Kevin Ollie.

My mistake.

Offline TheGuiltyParty

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #373 on: July 09, 2008, 07:56:43 PM »
I have two questions...

1) How did Andrew Bogut get a 5 year/$72.5MIL extension?
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3480697
and
2) How can the Bucks justify paying him more than what Chris Paul just signed for?

Please... teach me.

jemagee

« Reply #374 on: July 09, 2008, 08:01:40 PM »
I think there's something that goes along you can't teach height