Author Topic: Player Movement Thread (Was Free Agency Thread)  (Read 253688 times)

Offline DuckyNinja

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Tracking Free Agency
« Reply #210 on: July 07, 2008, 12:23:11 PM »
Didn't they try Iggy at the 1 in 06-07?  All I remember is that he played PG for a little bit and it didn't go too hot so they ditched it.  I don't think Iggy could be the lone ball-handler for more than 3-4 minutes.  Get another point forward though and it might work.

Offline anklebreaker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #211 on: July 07, 2008, 12:23:52 PM »
Isn't Childress supposed to be in Philly today?  

TGP, I wouldn't mind seeing that lineup for stretches at a time (the one with Smith).  I could see that lineup really swing the momentum in a game.  As you mentioned, that's quite a surplus of speed and size to handle and that lineup could really interrupt passing lanes, get deflections, and ignite fast break opportunities to make it extremely difficult for other teams to control the tempo.  
« Last Edit: July 07, 2008, 12:26:44 PM by anklebreaker »

Offline johnny broad-street

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #212 on: July 07, 2008, 12:23:53 PM »
That line-up would scare me. Gordon as a starter always scares me.

Offline johnny broad-street

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #213 on: July 07, 2008, 12:26:59 PM »
Trouble is, it's hard to win consistantly with a team built around causing havoc. That's what the Finals Sixers did......but they had Iverson

Offline TheGuiltyParty

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #214 on: July 07, 2008, 12:27:18 PM »
I totally forgot about Childress being in Philly today. I hope it goes horribly wrong. :-)

Offline anklebreaker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #215 on: July 07, 2008, 12:31:05 PM »
I wonder if Childress is mayor-visit worthy.  Or Jumbo-tron worthy.  We all know he's not $11M worthy, so I'd be surprised if he got the same treatment outside of a wine and dine. 

Offline DuckyNinja

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #216 on: July 07, 2008, 12:39:47 PM »
Here's a name that I haven't seen brought up here, and understandably so, but is a FA that would come cheap:

Ricky Davis.

Yes, that Ricky Davis.  He of throwing the ball off his own basket to get a triple-double fame.  I'm well aware that he doesn't have the best attitude and doesn't exactly try on defense.  But he shoots the 3 very well (around 40% the past two seasons), can score in bunches, and actually has been one of the best assist men from the SG/SF slot in the past few seasons.  He was down to 3.4 APG last year after being in the 5 APG range the previous 3 years (having his entire team get injured may have had something to do with that), but there's no reason to believe he couldn't go back up to the 5 APG range. He seems okay starting or coming off the bench, and we could easily find him 30 mpg in a rotation with Iggy and Thad.  Really, he's a point forward who can shoot the 3.  Isn't that kinda what we're looking for?

Offline anklebreaker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #217 on: July 07, 2008, 12:53:06 PM »
See the reaction I got from bringing up Tinsley in the PG thread as a possible 'cheap' option.  I expect the reaction for Ricky Davis to be no different.  I personally want no part of him for reasons you already mentioned.... no defense, poor attitude.  He doesn't really fill a position of dyer need, which makes me less inclined to take a gamble on signing him. 

Offline DuckyNinja

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #218 on: July 07, 2008, 12:59:23 PM »
See the reaction I got from bringing up Tinsley in the PG thread as a possible 'cheap' option.  I expect the reaction for Ricky Davis to be no different.  I personally want no part of him for reasons you already mentioned.... no defense, poor attitude.  He doesn't really fill a position of dyer need, which makes me less inclined to take a gamble on signing him. 

Fair enough, although I think Davis' problems aren't nearly as bad as Tinsley's (after all, he wasn't involved in a brawl).  He doesn't fill a position of dire need, but he could come very cheap, he shoots the 3 very well, and he's by far the best point forward available.  Plus, he can't be any worse defensively than Willie Green or Lou Williams.  I would definitely consider him on a cheap one year deal.  The worst thing that can happen is he gets cut.

Offline TheGuiltyParty

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #219 on: July 07, 2008, 01:02:41 PM »
Here's a name that I haven't seen brought up here, and understandably so, but is a FA that would come cheap:

Ricky Davis.

Yes, that Ricky Davis.  He of throwing the ball off his own basket to get a triple-double fame.  I'm well aware that he doesn't have the best attitude and doesn't exactly try on defense.  But he shoots the 3 very well (around 40% the past two seasons), can score in bunches, and actually has been one of the best assist men from the SG/SF slot in the past few seasons.  He was down to 3.4 APG last year after being in the 5 APG range the previous 3 years (having his entire team get injured may have had something to do with that), but there's no reason to believe he couldn't go back up to the 5 APG range. He seems okay starting or coming off the bench, and we could easily find him 30 mpg in a rotation with Iggy and Thad.  Really, he's a point forward who can shoot the 3.  Isn't that kinda what we're looking for?

Yikes! It's a name worth discussing for the simple fact that we've gone through all of the last names that start with the letters A, B, and C so I guess Davis was bound to come up. Yes, he is a shooter and that is something that this team needs but I think I would rather go down in flames giving Carney the minutes then let Ricky Davis be around this team. Maybe it's a total fluke that almost every team he has been on has been one of the worst but I'm just not a fan of his. Given his age and the fact that he's not going to be here when we do actually go to contend for something, I just don't see the point in slapping a band-aid like him on the team.

Also, since this is video day on this board, here is the previously mentioned Ultimate Ricky Davis Clip. (yes, I love that music)

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: July 07, 2008, 01:17:15 PM »
I wonder if Childress is mayor-visit worthy.  Or Jumbo-tron worthy.  We all know he's not $11M worthy, so I'd be surprised if he got the same treatment outside of a wine and dine. 
;D I'd say Jumbotron worthy (who isn't) but not Nutter worthy. definitely not Rendel Worthy...

TGP bings up Iguodala at PG.  i remember it didn't work because he was to slow getting the teaminto its offense, and itmade him less agressive on offense since he was stuck at the top of the floor to maintain floor balance.

I hope Iguodala develops into more of an off the ball threat, where he can take advantage of his quickness and cuts.  I think making him a point forward might be a move in the wrong direction.

ironically, Childress has played some effective minutes at point forward.  he has a great handle, and his inability to create scoring for himself is hidden somewhat at the point.  It does limit his ability to take advantage of his excellent garbage/opportunity basket skills.

As for Ricky, he's a talented player who will come cheap, but he would have to be on a vet team like San Antonio or Boston for me to feel comfortable that he will be kept in line.

Offline anklebreaker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #221 on: July 07, 2008, 01:17:27 PM »

Plus, he can't be any worse defensively than Willie Green or Lou Williams.  I would definitely consider him on a cheap one year deal.  The worst thing that can happen is he gets cut.

He can be worse defensively than Willie and Lou, and he is.  Lou is actually a better defensive player than most people give him credit for, he's just limited in what he can do and who he can defend with his size.  Willie isn't a bad on the ball defender... not great either, but he looks like a blue collar player on the defensive end next to Davis.  

If our main acquisition ends up being someone who's strong suit isn't shooting, then I could see a CHEAP one year deal (if that's even possible), but I truly want no part of Davis and doubt he would appeal to the Sixers as well.  

Offline DuckyNinja

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #222 on: July 07, 2008, 01:27:10 PM »
Fair enough.  Just figured that he fit with both the point forward label and the 3 point shooter label.  And I'm getting really antsy waiting for actual news that I could convince myself at this point that Ricky Davis is a viable option.

Goddammit, can we just skip to Wednesday already?

Offline TheGuiltyParty

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #223 on: July 07, 2008, 01:31:53 PM »
Ducky... I welcome any and all news names to discuss so thanks for that. Now that we're in the letter D, what about Boris Diaw as another backup option? Odds are he can be had for just cap space and he would be able to play the 4 in our system.

The problem of course is that he has 4 years left on his deal which pays him exactly $9MIL every season. The 4th year is a Player Option but it's unlikely that he opts-out. If he did, it would mean that we got a helluva player for the first 3 years. Thoughts??

Offline DuckyNinja

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #224 on: July 07, 2008, 01:42:33 PM »
Ducky... I welcome any and all news names to discuss so thanks for that. Now that we're in the letter D, what about Boris Diaw as another backup option? Odds are he can be had for just cap space and he would be able to play the 4 in our system.

The problem of course is that he has 4 years left on his deal which pays him exactly $9MIL every season. The 4th year is a Player Option but it's unlikely that he opts-out. If he did, it would mean that we got a helluva player for the first 3 years. Thoughts??

A helluva player?  He's undersized and had one good year that wasn't worth the contract then and certainly isn't worth it now.  And I've heard reports that he's not the best clubhouse guy either.  I don't see how a guy who's only cracked 10 points and 5 rebounds once is worth anywhere near 9 mil a year.