Author Topic: Player Movement Thread (Was Free Agency Thread)  (Read 253332 times)

Offline johnny broad-street

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Tracking Free Agency
« Reply #195 on: July 07, 2008, 08:25:09 AM »
Man....the more you read the more you realize we're in a rough spot. "When we get around to getting whatever's left to get....what's left to get won't be worth getting whatever it is we've got left."

That's a VERY obscure and nerdy reference....but I think it applies

Offline sixers hoops

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #196 on: July 07, 2008, 09:33:47 AM »
Man....the more you read the more you realize we're in a rough spot.

Free-agency is tough to begin with, and we only have 11-12 million on top of that.

These days, good restricted free-agents are difficult to sign. And the real good ones don't even reach that status. So when people post all of these wonderful names for upcoming free-agency periods, I almost ignore the good restricted ones. Guys who you would considering offering the max, their teams would probably match, and the only reason that Josh Smith is a possibility is because Atlanta has an unstable ownership group.

And of the true impact players in their prime or younger, their teams can offer more and usually do.

So you're basically overpaying for guys whose teams are willing to let them go at the right price, which if you are overpaying a guy with 11 million, then he probably is not an All-Star. Therefore, this perception of the Sixers being the BIG DOGS of free-agency with their 11 million was a little inaccurate. Any true impact players would likely sign a one-year deal before settling on that. The Sixers are basically going to make a run at Josh Smith, and if that fails, then everybody will say they are disappointed.

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #197 on: July 07, 2008, 09:58:30 AM »
Yeha that all sounds about right. As always it boils down to having a creative, proactive front office who can manipulate the situation.

Offline sixers hoops

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #198 on: July 07, 2008, 10:20:51 AM »
Yeha that all sounds about right. As always it boils down to having a creative, proactive front office who can manipulate the situation.

Many say Josh Smith is the perfect fit. While I agree, I would like to assemble as many assets as possible to be a player if the right big man becomes available via trade. Detroit was able to get Rasheed when he was available, Boston got Garnett, etc., and we should be ready to do the same.

In a year or two, Amare, Bosh, or another player whose team decided to rebuild could become available and we may have the players to make a deal. So if I could get Josh Smith at 11 million, then I do it and worry about the fit later. Getting a player with that upside has to be considered a success in this current market without having 14 or 15 million available.

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #199 on: July 07, 2008, 10:23:40 AM »
I'm cool with Smith. Not as high or low as some, but I would like the addition, were it to happen.

I am in the camp that says let's step back and look at the league as a whole and see what packages/deals/signings could be used to positon ourselves to improve steadily without sacrificing our flexibility

Offline Skates

• View Profile
« Reply #200 on: July 07, 2008, 10:27:12 AM »

Many say Josh Smith is the perfect fit. While I agree, I would like to assemble as many assets as possible to be a player if the right big man becomes available via trade. Detroit was able to get Rasheed when he was available, Boston got Garnett, etc., and we should be ready to do the same.

In a year or two, Amare, Bosh, or another player whose team decided to rebuild could become available and we may have the players to make a deal. So if I could get Josh Smith at 11 million, then I do it and worry about the fit later. Getting a player with that upside has to be considered a success in this current market without having 14 or 15 million available.

With Brand staying on the West Coast, there are no perfect answers in FA this year.  Given the Atlanta ownership situation and his skill set which fits our plans, I like that we are being aggressive and taking a run at Josh Smith.  As long as we take care of our own FA's, the worst thing that can happen is Atlanta matches.  If someone wants to bitch because we offered all we could under the rules to get the best, reasonably available player and it fails under the CBA structure in the NBA, let them.  Any failure won't be for a lack of trying and planning.  I am much more worried about us having a crappy back-up plan since I have no real idea what it is.

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #201 on: July 07, 2008, 10:31:45 AM »
Great post Skates. The FA thread at RealGM could use an injection of that logic. I, too, am a bit worried about the back-up plan. Not so much because I don't trust Ed and company but more because I'mnot privy to the info! Hahahaha.

Offline Skates

• View Profile
« Reply #202 on: July 07, 2008, 11:13:05 AM »
You aren't kidding when you said it is melting down over there.  At one point yetserday the number of locked threads (most being whining to DBods about other posters) almost outnumbered the open threads.  I think too many people are expecting this summer for us to be like the Celtics' summer last year where we suddenly become instant contenders.  Absent getting Josh Smith or Brand there are numerous trade and FA proposals that are so bad you would think Billy King was reduced to posting on RealGM as a hobby.  ;)

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #203 on: July 07, 2008, 11:18:14 AM »
Hahahaha! I'm pretty much done with that board.....unless I can find a way to isolate SF76 posts. Wish he posted here

Offline TheGuiltyParty

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #204 on: July 07, 2008, 11:21:47 AM »
I got up on my soapbox yesterday and gave my speech about how terrible that board has become. Every other post is someone ranting about how big of an idiot another poster is... I can't take reading that let alone trying to respond to any of it.

As for basketball, more and more reports are coming out about Hinrich being kept by the Bulls. That doesn't really bother me that much because the only way we would go after him is if we moved Miller and that seems unlikely.

How do you guys feel about Iguodala as a point forward? Do you like him as a guy who can set up the offense? The reason I ask is if we did sign someone like Maggette or Childress (ugh!) or Gordon, do you believe it would be possible in a year or two to actually throw a ridiculous group of swingmen out on the floor at the same time?

1: Iguodala
2: Maggette/Gordon
3: Young
4: Speights
5: Dalembert

I mean, if we did sign any of these shooting guards, we would have them under contract for 4 or 5 years so at some point, I'm wondering if we could run a lineup like that for long stretches of a game? Thoughts?? Actually... I could see Dalembert being the man who goes to the bench with everyone shifting so that Lou Williams could take the PG duties. Anyway... it's just a random thought.

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
« Reply #205 on: July 07, 2008, 11:22:51 AM »
We've finally gotten SendEm banned, so hopefully it improves somewhat.  Sadly, the maturity level at that place is still very low, so it will only help somewhat.  I'm about at my whit's end over there.  I don't have time to be a baby sitter over there.  It's ridiculous.  "but he called me a name first!"

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #206 on: July 07, 2008, 11:29:48 AM »
Yeah Dabods....I don't know how you do it. After my warning where I didn't respond too well I sarted paying attention and realized how big (and annoying) a job moderating must be over there.  It's just a shame t has to get so out of control for something to change. There should be an automated vote system or something to get people removed. Hahahaha.

Anyway...as far as basketball, TGP I am all about point forwards for stretches. I especially think Igoudala could benefit from it considering he's not creating off the dribble or anything. Having him initiate the offense could make it harder for defenses to lock down on him.

Offline TheGuiltyParty

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #207 on: July 07, 2008, 12:05:35 PM »
I guess this would even apply if we signed Smith. Because of the versatility of our players, we could potentially throw a VERY tall and fast lineup out on the floor which could present nightmares for opposing teams. I mean, it is inconceivable that we would have this lineup on the floor during a game?

Iguodala
Smith
Young
Speights
Dalembert

That's a lot of size and speed to handle. I think I just talked myself into loving the idea of Josh Smith because of the matchup problems we would present. Wow. The only issue we would have (and it's a major one) is dealing with teams that can slow the game down to halt in the playoffs. Unless our players have gotten dramatically better at shooting, I think we would struggle if we can't break. Then again, we a young, fast, and tall team... we could trap a lot more and try to create a lot of breaks.

Alright... I'm on board. We need Smith!

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #208 on: July 07, 2008, 12:08:11 PM »
Also, TGP....keep in mind that we can't shoot either way! Hahaha. I'd rather be fast and tall without shooting than not

Offline TheGuiltyParty

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #209 on: July 07, 2008, 12:21:08 PM »
Ugh... the shooting REALLY concerns me. If we had 1 guy... just 1... that could actually shoot the 3 ball with some consistency, I think I would be heartbroken if we didn't get Smith. It's really that reason and that reason alone that makes the addition of Ben Gordon so damn attractive. But again, if we sign Gordon to a big deal and Speights shows that he can take on a starter's role in a year or two... can we get away with this lineup?

Iguodala
Gordon
Young
Speights
Dalembert

Could Iguodala actually handle the PG duties almost full-time next to Gordon?? This feels a lot like Iverson all over but it's actually a lot different.