Author Topic: Player Movement Thread (Was Free Agency Thread)  (Read 250474 times)

jemagee

Re: Tracking Free Agency
« Reply #60 on: July 02, 2008, 10:46:11 AM »
If we are doing long term planning, by 10 doesn't sams deal expire too - then you gotta decide what to do with him?

Offline TheGuiltyParty

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #61 on: July 02, 2008, 10:48:16 AM »
TGP - you know better than that - it's not your right to know what Plan B - Plan B is whatever actually happens - all that happens if you inform of plan B and C and D publicly is you set yourself up for a fall and notify teams who might not be aware of your interest and the level of your interest (more importantly).

If ed DOES go publicly saying who they are targeting in trades, I'll be more irritated than if he doesn't because I think it's stupid and pandering to the fans but all it does is set you up to fall on your face more.

By no means am I expecting for him to announce it publicly but I would appreciate a call on my cell phone from him. Hell, I believe dabods has Ed's #. I'm sure he'll tell a good friend what the plan is... right? Actually, I am/have been hoping that SF76 would have a report about Plan B. I think he may have reported it already though and the plan was to trade for Sheed or Marion.

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 02, 2008, 10:51:52 AM »
If we are doing long term planning, by 10 doesn't sams deal expire too - then you gotta decide what to do with him?

Sam expires summer '11.

Despite me acting like a Sam apologist over at Philaphan, I'd love to see him replaced brfore then- that's why I was hoping to get Jordan in the 2nd.

But reality is Sam will likely be here unless the big name we pick up in the next 3 years plays center.  I'm more just trying to think of when this currnet team will be in the best position to try and make a run.  That is probably in 2-4 years, but obviously they will need to pick up a star to have a real shot at contending- unless Young and Speights are much better than I expect them to be.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2008, 10:54:00 AM by tk76- »

jemagee

« Reply #63 on: July 02, 2008, 10:53:25 AM »
And I'm sure there is a plan B, but plan A (or A1?  hmmmmmm A1, steaks, drool) isn't over yet.  If they make an offer sheet to Smith, you gotta wait out the 7 days to see if they match and that offer sheet can't officially be made (I don't think until July 9th)

So, Plan A isn't officially date until the latest July 16th (maybe earlier if the hawks match earlier or if they decide earlier not to match or if a sign and trade isn't worked out)

Plan B distracts from Plan A says the man from philly who i used to like until I found out he was a covert schill for the scinetology wing nuts.  Plan A is Josh Smith, it's still viable, no need to go to B until A is dead which might take another 14 days

jemagee

« Reply #64 on: July 02, 2008, 10:53:53 AM »
Yo Dbodner - is there any chance speights can develop into an NBA center or does he not have the tools?

Offline TheGuiltyParty

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #65 on: July 02, 2008, 10:56:43 AM »
Sam expires summer '11.

Despite me acting like a Sam apologist over at Philaphan, I'd love to see him replaced brfore then- that's why I was hoping to get Jordan in the 2nd.

But reality is Sam will likely be here unless the big name we pick up in the next 3 years plays center.  I'm more just trying to think of when this currnet team will be in the best position to try and make a run.  That is probably in 2-4 years, but obviously they will need to pick up a star to have a real shot at contending- unless Young and Speights are much better than I expect them to be.

Perhaps this is why Ed is and was trying to acquire DeAndre Jordan. Getting Jordan now would give the team 3 years to develop him into taking over for Sam.

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 02, 2008, 10:56:53 AM »
If Speight's is 6'10 bare feet and 240+ like people claim, he is big enough to play center- especially if teamed with another PF/C size player like Sam (or KG or Bosh.)  Maybe Bosh is the guy we get in 2010?

I don't think Josh Smith and Speights could be you PF/C.

Offline bebopdeluxe

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #67 on: July 02, 2008, 10:57:48 AM »
TGP:

Now that it looks like Miami is not getting Brand, he may be more interested in moving Marion - unfortunately, unless we can put another salary with Miller, that deal eats up virtually all of our cap room.  With 'Sheed the numbers are better, but Detroit would have to move Billups first (which it sounds like they are trying to do, but there is no guarantee there).  If they do move Billups, perhaps a Miller/Carney/UTA #1 for 'Sheed deal could work.

I agree with jem that we need to be patient here - other than Smith there is no move out there for the Sixers to make that needs to be done NOW.  Lots of other things may have to happen first...does Billups get traded?  What happens with Ben Gordon (which may impact Hinrich's availability...and price)?  Are the Mavs going to shake things up - and what will be the domino impact of that?

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 02, 2008, 10:58:55 AM »
Sam expires summer '11.

Perhaps this is why Ed is and was trying to acquire DeAndre Jordan. Getting Jordan now would give the team 3 years to develop him into taking over for Sam.

I'm sure it is.  If Jordan could replace Sam it extends the window of opportunity for adding to the current core to more like 6 seasons.  Everyone aside from Sam and Miller is 19-24.

jemagee

« Reply #69 on: July 02, 2008, 10:59:01 AM »
Paxson was in the paper today saying the dealing with gordon and deng was the only thing the bulls were dealing with at this time.

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
« Reply #70 on: July 02, 2008, 11:01:08 AM »
Yo Dbodner - is there any chance speights can develop into an NBA center or does he not have the tools?

In today's NBA?  Josh Smith could play center.  Speights certainly has the length/size to play time there.  We don't know exactly how tall he is because he wasn't at the predraft camp, but he looks a legit 6'10" with long arms.  We'll have a better indication when seeing him play against NBA players, but my gut says yes.

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 02, 2008, 11:01:43 AM »
Marion would be a 1 year rental.  His expiring contract is way bigger than Millers, so it would be a favorable swap even if he only played less than year here.  His 17M expiring could be turned into a big name in a trade or help us on the FA market next summer. 

Once we conceed to giving up on Miller, this team is back more in a building mode, and should be looking a few years down the road.

Offline TheGuiltyParty

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #72 on: July 02, 2008, 11:02:29 AM »
TGP:

Now that it looks like Miami is not getting Brand, he may be more interested in moving Marion - unfortunately, unless we can put another salary with Miller, that deal eats up virtually all of our cap room.  With 'Sheed the numbers are better, but Detroit would have to move Billups first (which it sounds like they are trying to do, but there is no guarantee there).  If they do move Billups, perhaps a Miller/Carney/UTA #1 for 'Sheed deal could work.

I agree with jem that we need to be patient here - other than Smith there is no move out there for the Sixers to make that needs to be done NOW.  Lots of other things may have to happen first...does Billups get traded?  What happens with Ben Gordon (which may impact Hinrich's availability...and price)?  Are the Mavs going to shake things up - and what will be the domino impact of that?

Listen... I'm on board the Patience Train. I understand how this has to all play out and so I'm calm, cool, but not really collected. There are a lot of things to keep an eye on around the league. Moves made in Miami, Detroit, and Chicago could certainly impact what happens with us.

Also, I imagine John Paxson is sweating what we offer Smith. If we offer him $66MIL, doesn't Deng ask for the same with Gordon (rightfully or not) also asking for a big number?? What Stefanski does could determine what goes on in Chicago and if Gordon does sign a big deal, then Hinrich would have to be on the market.

jemagee

« Reply #73 on: July 02, 2008, 11:05:27 AM »
I think the whole 'what smith gets dictates what others get' is overblown.

Smith is a PF, harder to get than a SG or a SF. Smith is coming off a good season in which his horrible team made the playoffs and rightly or wrongly that's seen as a good thing and a plus for Smith.  The bulls on the other hand stunk up the joint, got a coach fired, and performed WELL below expectations after deng and gordon turned down rather substantial extensions, their performance (rightly or wrongly) is perceived to have hurt them not helped them in their argument that they are worth more.  Smith is younger than all 3 as well, and possibly has more 'upside'.

Deng and Gordon hurt themselves with their play this season and supposedly Iguodala hurt himself in the playoffs (which I don't buy any more than Sam earned his big deal against the pistons years ago, due to small sample size)

I think it's apples and oranges due to position, pefromance, and expected level of play.

The big problem the bulls have with ben gordon is if gordon still deamnds that he's a starter, cause they don't think he is (and i don't think he is either)

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
« Reply #74 on: July 02, 2008, 11:07:48 AM »
Seriously... since when did we EVER have a legit shot at Brand?? Hadn't those of us with a half a brain been saying for 5 months that Brand was not coming here?

When brand opted out, I think there was a small chance.  Small, but enough to talk about. 

Baron Davis opting out has thrown a huge wrench into this equation, both with him signing in LA and making that a more desirable place to play, and in making GS players in FA, and more likely to keep two of the top FA options (Biedrins and Ellis).