Author Topic: Player Movement Thread (Was Free Agency Thread)  (Read 250554 times)

Offline Skates

• View Profile
Re: Tracking Free Agency
« Reply #420 on: July 11, 2008, 09:17:13 AM »
I agree with Jem that AI returning here is more desirable for us to fantasize about than the reality would likely be.  That being said, the love fest AI showed the fans when he visited last year probably mended some fences and showed some contrition on his part.  I could see him pulling a Wilt at the end of his career and deciding to lead the league in assists instead of scoring.  The likelihood is very, very low for many reasons, but I thought the same thing about getting Brand less than a week ago.

jemagee

« Reply #421 on: July 11, 2008, 09:19:17 AM »
So when are the sixers going to show contrition and apologize to Iverson by saddling him with a crap GM who didn't know what he was doing for his last 4 or 5 years in town?

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
« Reply #422 on: July 11, 2008, 09:20:44 AM »
Snider.

sorry, drives me nuts ;)

Sorry, can you tell I don't follw hockey much?  Should know better from following the Sixers.  I'll try to keep to just spelling Lukko wrong...

Offline bebopdeluxe

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #423 on: July 11, 2008, 09:26:12 AM »
Guys, I'm not holding my breath about AI returning...just trying to project what we are going to do about the PG position next summer for a team that could be on the doorstep of a title.  If Miller does not resign with us, and AI is willing to come back for the MLE, it is something that I would consider.

That's all that I am saying.

I think the chances of it happening are small...but I can't say that I wouldn't be interested if the opportunity presented itself.

Offline Skates

• View Profile
« Reply #424 on: July 11, 2008, 09:37:28 AM »
Not that I expect us to be big FA players next year, but the only free agents that have played PG of note are Andre Miller, Iverson and Jamal Crawford, with AI and Crawford also playing SG at times.  That likely means that the supposedly PG heavy draft next year might see the PG's come off the board even quicker than usual as few FA fixes are available.  Korver has an ETO next year, I never realized that.  Expect Lou Williams to get a similar contract with and ETO three years down the line. 

LOL, Mark Blount has an ETO next year.  I have a better chance of winning the lottery than the chance of him exercising that option.

jemagee

« Reply #425 on: July 11, 2008, 10:15:24 AM »
Guys, I'm not holding my breath about AI returning...just trying to project what we are going to do about the PG position next summer for a team that could be on the doorstep of a title.

Don't care if he came back for league minimum, it's not about the salary, it's about the player, he wouldn't fit the roster as far as i'm concerned...Allen Iverson is past his prime as an nba champion caliber point guard (if he ever truly was a champion caliber player and not one of the most over rated players of his time)

Offline bebopdeluxe

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #426 on: July 11, 2008, 10:25:47 AM »
jem:

You are entitled to your opinion...but I don't know if anybody can make the declarative statement that AI has never been or cannot be "an NBA champion point guard".

Houston won two titles with Kenny Smith and Sam Cassell sharing PG duties.

Miami won an NBA title with an over-the-hill Gary Payton and Jason Williams (!) at PG.

Boston just won an NBA title with Rajon Rondo as their PG.

Just sayin'...

jemagee

« Reply #427 on: July 11, 2008, 10:28:17 AM »
You are entitled to your opinion...but I don't know if anybody can make the declarative statement that AI has never been or cannot be "an NBA champion point guard".

I didn't pull this out of my hat, check out a book called the wages of wins, in regards to allen iverson...

And stop cherry picking and ignoring the rest of those rosters...it's disingenuous (sp?) like comparing the sixers to the championship pistons based on some limited 3 point shooting only.

Championship TEAMS win by roster, and I don't believe Allen Iverson is a championship point guard that works on the sixers team as currently constructed...how's it going for him in denver playoff wise?

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
« Reply #428 on: July 11, 2008, 11:07:18 AM »
That's not entirely fair either.  I think Denver could have done pretty well as the #4 seed in the East.  They certainly could have beaten the Wiz.

jemagee

« Reply #429 on: July 11, 2008, 11:08:41 AM »
If the hype is accurate the sixers are now probably one of the 3 best teams in the east.

I don't think adding Iverson makes them better than the celtics anyway (not to mention you might have to, you know, change the offense)

Offline DuckyNinja

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #430 on: July 11, 2008, 11:11:05 AM »

I didn't pull this out of my hat, check out a book called the wages of wins, in regards to allen iverson...

And stop cherry picking and ignoring the rest of those rosters...it's disingenuous (sp?) like comparing the sixers to the championship pistons based on some limited 3 point shooting only.

Championship TEAMS win by roster, and I don't believe Allen Iverson is a championship point guard that works on the sixers team as currently constructed...how's it going for him in denver playoff wise?

Wow, nice job misconstruing the entire point of comparing the Sixers to those Pistons, and then comparing these Sixers to the Nuggets.  The Nuggets try to out-score teams without playing defense.  Carmelo Anthony has been awful in the playoffs AND he can't play defense.  I really don't see why AI wouldn't fit with this team but Miller would.  Neither is great defensively, but AI can take over a game and Miller can't (which is why by the playoffs last year, after being asked to be the #2 scoring option, he just couldn't do it anymore).  I just don't see how AI isn't an upgrade in pretty much every way over Miller for this team.  And he's proved he can play pure PG, he just hasn't been asked to do it except on all-star and Olympic teams.

jemagee

« Reply #431 on: July 11, 2008, 11:13:52 AM »
The Nuggets try to out-score teams without playing defense.

For most of the season, that's an inaccurate statement (and no you don't get to look at points per game and say they don't play defense)

I misconstrued a point?  That's interesting you should say coming from you...and when you made the comparison all you did was cherry pick threes, and ignore everything else (until pointedly called on it)...as is you standard modus operandi...which is fine...

Offline DuckyNinja

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #432 on: July 11, 2008, 11:18:17 AM »
The Nuggets try to out-score teams without playing defense.

For most of the season, that's an inaccurate statement (and no you don't get to look at points per game and say they don't play defense)

I misconstrued a point?  That's interesting you should say coming from you...and when you made the comparison all you did was cherry pick threes, and ignore everything else (until pointedly called on it)...as is you standard modus operandi...which is fine...

Wow, I don't even know where to start.  I don't go by ppg for a team or a player, I prefer going by points per 100 possessions or points per shot or things along those lines.  I based my statement on watching them play and things that I've read.  Am I wrong?  Show me the stats.

Uh, I was comparing them based ONLY ON THREE POINTERS.  It was an argument about whether you need to be able to shoot 3s to win a championship.  When called on it, I said that I was only comparing them for the sake of arguing that you don't need to shoot 3s well to win, which I thought was obvious based on the context of the discussion.

I was hoping you had changed from philaphans to here Jem, but I see that's not the case.

Offline DuckyNinja

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #433 on: July 11, 2008, 11:34:24 AM »

Hey look, you misconstrued somebody else's argument too!  Bebop clearly was just showing that having a great PG is not a necessary condition of winning a championship.  Nowhere did he say that they won because of those PGs.  He was simply showing that any average PG can be an NBA-championship PG if he's on the right team at the right time.  I don't think he was ignoring the rest of those rosters in any way.  Whether or not AI would be the right PG on this team at this time is another question entirely, but that wasn't his point.

Offline bebopdeluxe

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #434 on: July 11, 2008, 12:17:05 PM »
DuckyNinja:

Thanks for having my back, bro...but I can handle discussions with jem just fine, thanks...

;D

Your interpretation of my post is correct - you don't need a world-class, All-Star PG to win championships...I consciously avoided both the Bulls and recent Lakers, because the other talent on their rosters was so high, but neither of those teams had dominant PG's either.  But the other part of my response to jem was the real point that I wanted to make - it is fine if it is his opinion that AI cannot be a championship caliber PG...but that is what it is - his opinion.  The reason why I used those examples was to make the point that, if the guys on those lists could be PG's on NBA championship teams, then jem has more work to do to go from his opinion to a declarative statment (supported by facts and historical examples)...that's all.