Author Topic: Player Movement Thread (Was Free Agency Thread)  (Read 250517 times)

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
Re: Tracking Free Agency
« Reply #390 on: July 09, 2008, 11:33:26 PM »
Next year the Bucks will have about $48 million dollars committed to paying just these five guys:

Richard Jefferson
Michael Redd
Andrew Bogut
Dan Gadzuric
Mo Williams

There is an all-star team for you.  Oh, and not a single one of those contracts expires after next year, salary cap hell thy name is the Bucks.

Its like a mini-Knicks, just without the bad NY attitudes (sort of fits the city.)

Offline Skates

• View Profile
« Reply #391 on: July 09, 2008, 11:36:40 PM »
From the ESPN article on the presser today, check out the shot Luukko takes at BK, ouch...

Stefanski has worked wonders since he left New Jersey and took over for the fired Billy King in early December. King entered this past season convinced he had management's backing on a three-year rebuilding plan that he believed would turn the Sixers into a contender in the Eastern Conference.

"So much for the three-year plan," quipped Peter Luukko, COO of Comcast-Spectacor, which owns the 76ers.

Remember, Stefanski was Luukko's choice to replace BK, probably over Snyder's objections.

Offline TheGuiltyParty

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #392 on: July 09, 2008, 11:41:57 PM »
Anyone having second thoughts about Brand over Smith?  And then maybe add Critt?  It would have been an awedroppingly athletic show, but fro me, no regrets.

As Chris Sheridan said on ESPN today, every year there this a player who gets a huge contract he doesn't deserve. Josh Smith appears to be the most likely candidate to be that guy this year. Then again, Bogut's really feels like it's a terrible one.

Aside from doing something unexpected like a sign-and-trade of Iguodala or Williams, I think Ed is really going to have to perform some magic to get the shooter (not necessarily a 3 point bomber) that this team is lacking.

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
« Reply #393 on: July 10, 2008, 12:05:51 AM »
The challenge for Ed is to find a three point shooter who is a good athlete who can play within what the Sixers want to do.  A flip of Evans for Carrol would not work for this reason.  We need more of an James Jones type of athlete/shooter.  I wonder if Evans has any value at all?  We are running out of assets, and we should hold onto our '09 1st.

Offline DuckyNinja

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #394 on: July 10, 2008, 12:11:39 AM »
There are 3 FAs who fit that description and we might actually get for one reason or another:

Azubuike, Numbers Casualty, Restricted
Smith, Headcase, Restricted
Davis, Serious Headcase, Unrestricted

At this point, I don't care about Davis' attitude or lack of defense.  If we can get him in here for a year on a vet min or without giving anything up except maybe that Minny 2nd in 2010, I say do it.  I'd rather have one of the other two, but for one year, I'll live with Davis until we can upgrade next offseason if that's what it takes to get an athletic, ballhandling, 3 point shooting SG/SF in here.  I don't think he'll have any kind of "corruptive influence" on a team with Brand, Miller, and Cheeks coaching.  And if the Sixers think he is causing problems, the beauty of a one year contract is that they're easily cut.

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
« Reply #395 on: July 10, 2008, 12:24:14 AM »
There are 3 FAs who fit that description and we might actually get for one reason or another:

Azubuike, Numbers Casualty, Restricted
Smith, Headcase, Restricted
Davis, Serious Headcase, Unrestricted

At this point, I don't care about Davis' attitude or lack of defense.  If we can get him in here for a year on a vet min or without giving anything up except maybe that Minny 2nd in 2010, I say do it.  I'd rather have one of the other two, but for one year, I'll live with Davis until we can upgrade next offseason if that's what it takes to get an athletic, ballhandling, 3 point shooting SG/SF in here.  I don't think he'll have any kind of "corruptive influence" on a team with Brand, Miller, and Cheeks coaching.  And if the Sixers think he is causing problems, the beauty of a one year contract is that they're easily cut.

I'm probably the only one who would agree.  I would never count on Ricky, but he would be a great scorer off the bench, and those kinds of players are less of a problem when the team is a winner.  I also think his skills complement Miller and Iguodala.

Some players are to destructive to be on a young, losing team, but are fine on a winner.

Some, like TO are even destructive on a winner.

I guess it depends where you put Ricky.

Offline Howardmgm3

• View Profile
« Reply #396 on: July 10, 2008, 08:04:15 AM »
What about Kareem Rush?  You figure that Indiana will onlyl want to keep one Rush (the better one).
Don't know if he is any good but he had the reputation as a three point shooter and he will be cheap once he is released down the road.

Offline TheGuiltyParty

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #397 on: July 10, 2008, 08:20:19 AM »
Rush has to be one of the names considered. Actually, here's what I'm thinking... I think Ed will use the veteran's minimum to bring Kevin Ollie back and then trade either Reggie Evans or Jason Smith to get a shooter with Evans being the preferred player being sent out. We do have a very versatile lineup with Iguodala having the ability to cover the 2 and 3, Young being able to cover the 3 and 4, and Brand able to cover the 4 and 5.

The depth chart may look bare without Evans or Smith in it, but we have to keep in mind that Sam and Elton are going to cover about 71 of the possible 96 minutes at the 4 and 5 spots. When you consider that Thad will probably eat up about 6 minutes or so at the 4, that leaves us with just under 20 minutes left to cover between those 2 spots. I'm fairly certain either Smith or Evans can handle that amount of minutes alone without sharing them. Also, he may not be much at the start, but I expect Speights to get somewhere between 5-10minutes by the end of the season.

Offline TheGuiltyParty

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #398 on: July 10, 2008, 08:37:43 AM »
Also... here's some news this morning from around the league according to various newspaper reports.

- The Lakers appear to be after Ron Artest and offering Lamar Odom to the Kings. The salaries don't match so it'll be interesting to see what filler would be included if the deal does happen

- The Clippers have contract Emeka Okafor. It's about time somebody pays attention to him. I've said this before, many columnists have said that Robert Johnson (Charlotte's owner) may be the new Sterling. He disproved that somewhat last year when they re-signed Wallace and Carroll and they also traded for Richardson. That said, there has been very little talk about Okafor.

- The Clippers renounced their rights to Shaun Livingston in order to clear more cap space. He has a connection with Brand and so I wouldn't mind throwing the minimum at him if he's in need of a team. IF (huge IF) he can return from that injury, he would enable Lou to play the 2 a lot more.

- Roger Mason Jr signed a 2 year deal with the Spurs

- Posey's decision will come in the next 24 hours. He's deciding between the Hornets, Celtics, Lakers, and Cavs

- Tyronn Lue might sign in Phoenix for the vet minimum. The Suns are also looking at signing Darius Miles who has apparently been working out with a former Suns' trainer.

- Brett Barry appears headed to Houston

- The Knicks are expected to release Marbury sometime between now and training camp. They are also trying to talk Jerome James into retiring due to his left knee problems. I wonder how that conversation goes?? "C'mon, you know you don't like playing basketball. Give it up! You're no good. Seriously, you should retire." Is it like that??

- White Chocolate could sign the Magic

- Kwame Brown met with Bucks' officials and worked out for them yesterday. Based on the Bogut extension, I am expecting Kwame to sign a 5 year/$45MIL deal with them.

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
« Reply #399 on: July 10, 2008, 08:50:27 AM »
TGP- thanks for the update.
---
About the needed shooter.  Even with Philly now being a desirable location, I doubt we will pick up a major contributor at the minimum.  I would think a trade is almost a necessity.

Still, I'd rather go forward with the current team for the first 1/2 season than risk dealing away any of its core other than maybe Evans.  Moving Smith for a smaller shooter seems a bit shortsighted and circular reasoning, since I think Smith is close to being a good shooter who can play a key reserve role as back-up PF/C.

I want to see what kind of jumper Iguodala, Lou, Thad and Smith have before a move is made.  All of them are young and dedicated enough to possibly show dramatic improvement- it's just up in the are how fast that improvement will happen.  I'm counting on Mark Price to be a miracle worker...

On the positive side, they all will be getting a lot of easy looks, which is a great way for an improving shooter to gain confidence.

jemagee

« Reply #400 on: July 10, 2008, 08:53:22 AM »
The Lakers appear to be after Ron Artest and offering Lamar Odom to the Kings. The salaries don't match so it'll be interesting to see what filler would be included if the deal does happen

Kenny THomas is the rumored name

Offline johnny broad-street

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #401 on: July 10, 2008, 08:58:47 AM »
I'd love to be able to give Livingston a shot. He's a big-time talent if all heals

jemagee

« Reply #402 on: July 10, 2008, 09:01:06 AM »
Roger Mason reportedly signed a 2 year deal with the Spurs

jemagee

« Reply #403 on: July 10, 2008, 09:01:37 AM »
I'd love to be able to give Livingston a shot. He's a big-time talent if all heals

That's an if equivalent of "Willie Greens a big time player if he learned not to miss so much"

Offline TheGuiltyParty

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #404 on: July 10, 2008, 09:01:41 AM »
The Lakers appear to be after Ron Artest and offering Lamar Odom to the Kings. The salaries don't match so it'll be interesting to see what filler would be included if the deal does happen

Kenny THomas is the rumored name

That's what I was thinking. Is he just about done that SEVEN year contract that BK gave him? My gut rarely is wrong (excpet when it takes me to Arby's) and I had a TERRIBLE feeling from day 1 of the Kenny Thomas era in Philly.