Author Topic: Player Movement Thread (Was Free Agency Thread)  (Read 250540 times)

jemagee

Re: Tracking Free Agency
« Reply #165 on: July 04, 2008, 10:44:48 AM »
I was thinking that this morning, the shoot from the hip idea, it seems like the offer to brand came so fast that they didn't have any time to talk to him (or arenas) it looks like they just threw some money out there hoping it would stick...

jemagee

« Reply #166 on: July 04, 2008, 10:47:17 AM »
I just wanna say that I wish someone would stop letting gilbert arenas speak and or blog?  Yo Gilbert, you ain't being noble taking 'only' 111 million versus 127.

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: July 04, 2008, 02:06:55 PM »
Here's the latest from SF.  (RealGM is getting harder to read now that a bunch of the good posters primarily post here- myself excfepted of course as someone has to pull down the curve over here.):

Well its gonna be quiet til next week as you can imagine..but what I was able to find out was....

Like I said before....we gave Josh Smith a verbal offer....we dont know what the cap number is but our offer sheet on your doorstep Wednesday will be 5 years for all our cap space.....which could be as much as 12.5 mill..or an offer sheet of 5 years 73.33 million. its basically going to be 5 years and between 67-73 million depending what the cap number is.

Brand being in Philly is just trying to drum up interest on our end....get more money..he doesnt want to leave the left coast and the Sixers know it...he will be in California.

Childress will be here Monday...however we have more interest in Maggette, but are worried he will sign for the midlevel somewhere before we have resolution on the Josh Smith issue. Ben Gordon is on our radar IFF Smith,Maggette or Childress isnt acquired. The trade talks we have had still center around Marion or Sheed...with cap space,future picks, Green, Evans, Jason Smith and Carney as the bait.

My source really doesnt think Iguodala is going anywhere unless Golden State just throws a ridiculous amount of money at him. He also doesnt see Andre Miller being traded this offseason......unless someone made a ridiculous offer. We dont like Hinrich that much......and we think we can get our PG of the future in what is expected to be a PG heavy draft.

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: July 04, 2008, 02:11:56 PM »
More...
I think we get one of Smith, Childress or Maggette....so I dont think it comes down to Gordon at all....but hypothetically..he would be the 2 guard, Iggs the 3 and Thad the 4.

if we get maggette or childress(i do not want him at all)...then thad plays the 4 yes...we also need a shooter..thats why i think maggette could help there..childress is not a shooter..i dont know why we want him..i agree with you he only makes sense if Iguodala isnt here but everything I heard says he will be here unless GSW offers stupid money to him. But we dont know what they will do yet so its hard to get into hypotheticals...I would rather stick with what I know rather than speculate.

That being said..if you can get Smith or Brand and a good pure SG.....at the expense of the cap space and Iguodala...I personally would consider it, like you all are. But I dont think the front office is looking at those type of scenarios...yet. They want to see where this smith thing goes.

jemagee

« Reply #169 on: July 04, 2008, 03:41:41 PM »
Sure it'll be a point guard heavy draft, like this was a 'big man heavy' draft - but if you are picking in the low teens, you are taking a guy most likely with some risk/reward issues....you aren't getting ricky rubio (I think that's the dudes name right?)

The Andre Miller situation continues to bother me.

jemagee

« Reply #170 on: July 04, 2008, 04:09:02 PM »
One writer thinks Louis Williams is a good fit in Golden State with Monta Ellis...

http://www.basketballprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=380

Offline Howardmgm3

• View Profile
« Reply #171 on: July 04, 2008, 04:15:09 PM »
Here's the latest from SF.  (RealGM is getting harder to read now that a bunch of the good posters primarily post here- myself excfepted of course as someone has to pull down the curve over here.):

Well its gonna be quiet til next week as you can imagine..but what I was able to find out was....

Like I said before....we gave Josh Smith a verbal offer....we dont know what the cap number is but our offer sheet on your doorstep Wednesday will be 5 years for all our cap space.....which could be as much as 12.5 mill..or an offer sheet of 5 years 73.33 million. its basically going to be 5 years and between 67-73 million depending what the cap number is.

Brand being in Philly is just trying to drum up interest on our end....get more money..he doesnt want to leave the left coast and the Sixers know it...he will be in California.

Childress will be here Monday...however we have more interest in Maggette, but are worried he will sign for the midlevel somewhere before we have resolution on the Josh Smith issue. Ben Gordon is on our radar IFF Smith,Maggette or Childress isnt acquired. The trade talks we have had still center around Marion or Sheed...with cap space,future picks, Green, Evans, Jason Smith and Carney as the bait.

My source really doesnt think Iguodala is going anywhere unless Golden State just throws a ridiculous amount of money at him. He also doesnt see Andre Miller being traded this offseason......unless someone made a ridiculous offer. We dont like Hinrich that much......and we think we can get our PG of the future in what is expected to be a PG heavy draft.

Keep quoting SF on this forum please because now I have absolutely no reason to check out the Realgm forum at all!!
Thanks for the intelligent discussion of all things sixers here guys!!!

jemagee

« Reply #172 on: July 04, 2008, 05:35:29 PM »
Knicks and Duhon agree to two year deal...in principle

jemagee

« Reply #173 on: July 04, 2008, 05:37:12 PM »
Henry Abbot wrote this:
Josh Smith gets the royal treatment in Philadelphia, says he is impresssed. Speculation that he will likely sign an offer from the Sixers, and then the bidding will be on for some kind of sign-and-trade.

Can't you NOT offer a sign and trade after an offer sheet is signed?

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
« Reply #174 on: July 04, 2008, 06:16:49 PM »
Henry Abbot wrote this:
Josh Smith gets the royal treatment in Philadelphia, says he is impresssed. Speculation that he will likely sign an offer from the Sixers, and then the bidding will be on for some kind of sign-and-trade.

Can't you NOT offer a sign and trade after an offer sheet is signed?

Correct.  That writer has no idea how the nba works.

jemagee

« Reply #175 on: July 04, 2008, 06:19:01 PM »
Henry Abbott wrote the part about the sign and trade?  I had an interesting discussion with him via email this week about people calling the age limit 'illegal' (when it's not and the supreme court has ruled on such things quite recently) so I'm just more disappointed...espn nba folks are really letting me down this week :)

Offline Skates

• View Profile
« Reply #176 on: July 05, 2008, 10:23:11 AM »
The Sixers showing interest, at least superficialy, in Biedrins and Maggette (good x 2) and Kristic (not as good), in addition to Smith and Childress.  No mention yet of Okafor, Ben Gordon, Deng or Ellis.

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/20080705_New_free-agent_line_forms_for_Sixers_as_Smith_moves_on.html
« Last Edit: July 05, 2008, 01:58:21 PM by Skates »

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: July 05, 2008, 10:31:24 AM »
I'll give the writer some credit, and assume he means the Sixers can agree to a deal "in principle" with a player, and then a sign and trade can be forced before the offer sheet is actually signed if it is clear that the offer sheet will be matched.  It does become a bit of a game of chicken.

Offline TheGuiltyParty

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #178 on: July 05, 2008, 10:43:12 AM »
Knicks and Duhon agree to two year deal...in principle

Do you think Duhon is the starter in NYC this season or does he backup Crawford or Marbury?

As for the Sixers, the reports that we're in contact with all of these second tier FAs is telling me that Ed believes that he will have to turn to Plan B since Atlanta will match which is fine. I just think Plan B should involve Shawn Marion since he's a good player who play the 4 and has a huge expiring contract that could lead to us having around $20MIL in cap space next summer.

jemagee

« Reply #179 on: July 05, 2008, 11:04:32 AM »
Marbury isn't long for New York...I don't think...if they can't find someone interested in him (big expiring contract) i think they'll just him out.