Author Topic: Player Movement Thread (Was Free Agency Thread)  (Read 249565 times)

Offline DuckyNinja

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Player Movement Thread (Was Free Agency Thread)
« Reply #1230 on: January 26, 2009, 12:21:09 AM »
So uh, speaking of the Clippers, DeAndre Jordan started for them tonight and had 20 boards.  Wish we could've found some way to get him on draft night now.

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
« Reply #1231 on: January 26, 2009, 12:37:14 AM »
Don't worry about Jordan.  He's going to be just good enough during his 2 years on the rookie contract that he'll get some GM to offer him a big, long term deal, then disappoint enough to get said GM fired in a few years. 

But congrats to him on putting up a huge night as his team lost by 15 to a bad Golden State team.

Physical gifts vs basketball skill.  He's not going to accomplish much without both, and right now he's little more than physical gifts.  It's the difference between stats and effect.  What did his 7 offensive rebounds lead to? 

9:17   DeAndre Jordan offensive rebound   9-4   
9:15   DeAndre Jordan misses dunk   9-4
8:03   DeAndre Jordan offensive rebound
8:03   DeAndre Jordan misses layup
3:06   DeAndre Jordan offensive rebound   15-17   
3:05   DeAndre Jordan misses slam dunk   15-17
7:05   DeAndre Jordan offensive rebound   23-40   
7:05       23-40   Ronny Turiaf personal foul (DeAndre Jordan draws the foul)
7:05   DeAndre Jordan makes free throw 1 of 2   24-40   
7:05   DeAndre Jordan misses free throw 2 of 2   24-40   
8:47   DeAndre Jordan offensive rebound   49-60   
8:26   Ricky Davis misses 22-foot three point jumper   49-60   
2:10   DeAndre Jordan offensive rebound   84-105   
2:01   Cheikh Samb misses jumper   84-105   
0:07   DeAndre Jordan offensive rebound   92-107   
0:05   DeAndre Jordan misses two point shot   92-107   

His 7 offensive rebounds literally led to 1 second chance point.

He doesn't have the basketball skill to make use of his athletic gifts.  The lack of fundamentals, basketball IQ and basketball skills is simply amazing.  Maybe in 4 years he can pick some of that up, but I'm not holding my breath, nor am I worried about the hollow numbers he's going to put up on a clippers team falling apart.

Offline Skates

• View Profile
« Reply #1232 on: January 26, 2009, 09:47:44 AM »
I have been watching Jordan's stats mainly for fantasy purposes, and he has been on a bit of a roll.  I haven't seen him play much, really only a few minutes here or there in college, but D-Bods could very well be right about this guys being somewhat Sammy-like in that he will play himself into one big contract and then be considered overpaid for the rest of his career.  However, it would be nice to have him if you have a smart GM, becuase guys like that can be nice trade chips during their rookie contracts for the very reason that there will be GM's on other teams out there willing to break the bank for this kind of player, hence they can have decent trade value based on their potential.  The tricky part is figuring out who those guys are versus the guys who will really blossom and become stars after you trade them.  I have ultimate confidence that in either case the Clips will screw it up.

Offline anklebreaker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #1233 on: January 26, 2009, 01:25:57 PM »
It's probably better for Jordan that he wasn't drafted by the Sixers.  Can you imagine an already fundamentally challenged big man being schooled by Samuel Dalembert? 

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
« Reply #1234 on: January 26, 2009, 01:29:52 PM »
Sam isn't schooling anyone.

Offline Skates

• View Profile
« Reply #1235 on: January 28, 2009, 11:41:56 AM »
Today's tidbits:

- Brand rumors seem to be coming mainly from Chad Ford, we will see if they take on a life of their own.

- Sixers having discussions with Andre Miller's agent about a possible extension, nothing tangible yet.  His agnet touting Miller, and rightly so, as the top free agnet PG this summer.  My guess is he wants a long term extension, scary.  If the Sixers decide Miller can't be re-signed for a reasonable number and years, does that push them to consider the full youth movement?  Trading Brand and Miller for young talent, expirings and/or picks.  I think these two player's fates may be intertwined.

- Sacto rumored in deals for John Salmons and Brad Miller with various teams - Portland, Cleveland, the usual suspects.

- Mike Miller still available in Minny, apparently it is the year to trade your Miller.

- Steve Francis officially waived in Memphis, yawn.

- Stephon Marbury rumors will no longer be listed here, they bore me.

Offline Skates

• View Profile
« Reply #1236 on: January 31, 2009, 09:14:22 AM »
Interesting information from Chris Sheridan on non-player assets some teams hold.  The article itself is kind of stupid since some of these assets might be untradeable or unlikely to be used (e.g. trade exceptions) due to luxury tax constraints.  But it does go through some of the teams that have given up/accumulated future draft picks and when the protection ends on those picks for some currently awful teams.  Not surprisingly most of those picks were given up by Isiah, McHale, MJ, et al., plus some info on unsigned euro draft picks. 

We are not on the list of holding any of these assets, but thank goodness somehow BK or pure luck kept us off the list of "givers":

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/columns/story?columnist=sheridan_chris&page=TradeAssets-090130

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
« Reply #1237 on: January 31, 2009, 10:59:24 AM »
He left out the Utah #1 that the Sixers traded away to Memphis for cap space.  But that will be a crappy pick.  I think most teams would rather have a high 2nd over a late 1st so that they do not have to give the longer contract.

Offline carolina blue

• View Profile
« Reply #1238 on: February 01, 2009, 11:39:38 PM »
More on Sean Williams from LINK

Here's a new one: You've heard of player being called up from the D-League to the NBA, but how about being kicked out for the D-League to the NBA. That is what happened to the Nets' Sean Williams, because the Colorado 14ers couldn't stand him anymore.

Saying he was a distraction may be an understatement. Williams, who has a bit of a checkered history from his days at Boston College, didn't want to be there and made it known. He was thrown out of both games he played in at the important D-League Showcase in Utah a few weeks ago and showed up late for practice and was kicked out of one practice early.

He's on the trading block, but the loads of general managers who watched him embarrass himself at the D-League event probably aren't very interested.

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
« Reply #1239 on: February 02, 2009, 10:40:33 AM »
Sounds like he needs to be traded for Kobayashi to the Japanese League.

Offline Skates

• View Profile
« Reply #1240 on: February 02, 2009, 04:14:59 PM »
Bynum's (annual) injury makes the west even more wide open.  Hopefully this encourages more trading, some of which we can benefit from.

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
« Reply #1241 on: February 02, 2009, 10:53:24 PM »
Someone else needs a PG.  Jameer Jammeered his R shoulder.  It is dislocated.

Offline DuckyNinja

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #1242 on: February 03, 2009, 12:21:46 AM »
To the trade machine!

Miller, Evans, and Rush for Redick, Battie, Cook, and Bogans was the best I could do  :-\

Offline Skates

• View Profile
« Reply #1243 on: February 03, 2009, 09:06:39 AM »
Orlando is too thin to get much from, they have little I desire.  But a BK three way (wow, that sounds slightly dirty in a weird sort of way) is aways possible.

Offline DuckyNinja

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #1244 on: February 03, 2009, 09:43:17 AM »
Orlando is too thin to get much from, they have little I desire.  But a BK three way (wow, that sounds slightly dirty in a weird sort of way) is aways possible.

A BK three way? Is that a three way with whopper virgins?

Sorry, I couldn't resist.