Author Topic: Player Movement Thread (Was Free Agency Thread)  (Read 249574 times)

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
Re: Player Movement Thread (Was Free Agency Thread)
« Reply #1215 on: January 21, 2009, 03:40:04 PM »
The Sixers F.O. is not immune to economic concerns.  I'm sure they would be willing to dump Evans (and maybe even Sam) for little in return other than some financial relief.  I'm not even talking about clearing a big amount of cap space where they sign a replacement.  I'm talking saving a million dollars or so over a few years just to avoid the tax or pocket the change.

Sort of like when they sold their 2nd #1 2 years ago just because they did not want to take on a another contract.

I expect a lot of small moves where one team dumps a player just to save some money.  Sort of like the Henderson to Utah deal, but on a larger scale.

The worst deal of this type was Camby for a 2nd rounder.

Offline Skates

• View Profile
« Reply #1216 on: January 21, 2009, 04:03:47 PM »
The Sixers F.O. is not immune to economic concerns.  I'm sure they would be willing to dump Evans (and maybe even Sam) for little in return other than some financial relief.  I'm not even talking about clearing a big amount of cap space where they sign a replacement.  I'm talking saving a million dollars or so over a few years just to avoid the tax or pocket the change.

Sort of like when they sold their 2nd #1 2 years ago just because they did not want to take on a another contract.

I expect a lot of small moves where one team dumps a player just to save some money.  Sort of like the Henderson to Utah deal, but on a larger scale.

The worst deal of this type was Camby for a 2nd rounder.

Problem is finding a partner willing to take WG/Reggie/Sam with a lesser salary, in years, coming back.  Without looking it up I have to think the Magic will have tax issues in the future with some of the salaries they have handed out.  I still think that besides Miller, Theo may end up being our most marketable player since he still has a defined skill set, and a low, expiring salary.

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
« Reply #1217 on: January 21, 2009, 05:16:33 PM »
My fantasy trade at RealGM:

Baron + Camby for Sam +Miller (and a #1?)

Why for the Clips:  They would clear 35M over 4 years in committed salary (mostly Baron's huge deal.)  They admit a mistake in Baron, and replace him with Miller- who they can probably resign to a shorter and smaller deal this summer.  he has proven to be a good PG for a young team.  Sam comes off the books 2 years sooner than Baron would, and he would be a decent pairing with either Zach or Kaman.

Sixers: they can stay under the tax, and even be 5M under the cap in 2010 when Camby expires... or use Camby's expiring deal next year to get a shooter.  Baron/Brand would be a great pick and roll combo, and we all know Baron can lead a running team. 

Offline anklebreaker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #1218 on: January 21, 2009, 07:06:19 PM »
My fantasy trade at RealGM:

Baron + Camby for Sam +Miller (and a #1?)

Why for the Clips:  They would clear 35M over 4 years in committed salary (mostly Baron's huge deal.)  They admit a mistake in Baron, and replace him with Miller- who they can probably resign to a shorter and smaller deal this summer.  he has proven to be a good PG for a young team.  Sam comes off the books 2 years sooner than Baron would, and he would be a decent pairing with either Zach or Kaman.

Sixers: they can stay under the tax, and even be 5M under the cap in 2010 when Camby expires... or use Camby's expiring deal next year to get a shooter.  Baron/Brand would be a great pick and roll combo, and we all know Baron can lead a running team. 

I like it, but I'd like to think LAC wouldn't be looking to take a big man in return if they did decide to dump Camby since they already have a bit of a logjam down low with Zach and Kaman in there as well.  On the other hand, its the clippers... stranger things have happened and they probably would be looking to avoid luxury taxes. 
« Last Edit: January 21, 2009, 07:57:15 PM by anklebreaker »

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
« Reply #1219 on: January 22, 2009, 10:35:26 AM »
I'm waiting for Skates's daily update...

Offline Skates

• View Profile
« Reply #1220 on: January 22, 2009, 11:49:58 AM »
and here it is...

- Nets looking to trade with Minny for Mike Miller.  I think we will hear his name linked with a lot of teams.  Supposedly they are turned off by Larry Hughes and see him as a last resort only.

- Cuban says Josh Howard will not be traded.

- Marion to Toronto for O'Neal said to be moving forward slowly.  If you think about it it would be a trade of Shaq for JO in some ways.

- New York papers are dying for stories since the Knicks have nothing but David Lee to trade - talking about Shaq coming to the Knicks for his next contract, Marbury's alleged buyout negotiations and eddy Curry being basically fat and untradeable.

- Amare continues to bitch about stuff in Phoenix.  I expect to see him somewhere else next year.

- Vinny Del Negro is supposedly on the outs in Chicago and the team sounds ripe for a major trade/rebuilding around Rose.

Plus there are these gems from the Milwaukee papers:

Chris Webber, who sat in Monday night for TNT's Charles Barkley, who is on leave, had a bold idea about what the Detroit Pistons should do with starting guard Allen Iverson the rest of the season.

Webber, who has played for the Pistons and with Iverson in Philadelphia, said Iverson should come off the bench while Rip Hamilton starts.

"Allen is the best player I've seen with four stiffs, and that's no disrespect to anyone," Webber said.

At another point during his guest spot on "Inside the NBA," Webber said, "Allen Iverson needs five robots to play with him."

Webber said that was the case in 2000-'01, when Iverson's Philadelphia 76ers beat the Milwaukee Bucks in the Eastern Conference championship to advance to the NBA Finals.

"He had five guys who couldn't score," Webber said about '01 76ers. "Aaron McKie, (Dikembe) Mutombo, (Eric) Snow, all defensive players."

Iverson was asked about Webber's idea and Iverson said, laughing: "Listen man, I haven't ever thought Chris had it all, anyway. It don't matter man, I do whatever is going to make the team better. . . . It'll be tough. I have never (come) off the bench ever in my career so it's something different. But whatever happens, happens."

Offline anklebreaker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #1221 on: January 22, 2009, 06:59:13 PM »
In other news, Alonzo Mourning retired today. 

Offline anklebreaker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #1222 on: January 22, 2009, 07:59:41 PM »
A little off topic, but TNT needs Charles back asap.  Webber and Payton are just terrible together.  Nobody can get a full sentence in without one of those two cutting them off with some form of illogical nonsense that usually leads to the two of them laughing uncontrollably over something not in the least bit humorous.  Unfortunately, the same tandem has contaminated NBA TV as well.  I usually enjoy the Thursday night hoops crew for TNT.  Despite it being purely focused around the top 8 teams in the league, the crew has a genuine passion for the game, and they do have their moments of humor, which usually combines for an enjoyable little program.  Payton and Webber have a horrible habit of turning everything into a conversation about themselves and how great they were in their day.  Hopefully this lineup is short lived.   

Offline Skates

• View Profile
« Reply #1223 on: January 23, 2009, 10:22:56 AM »
Not much in the way of decent rumors today that i can find, just the old ones being rehashed, refuted or reignited.  Mo will be an assistant under Lionel Hollins out in Memphis it appears.  Fire one ex-Sixer and hire two seems to be the plan there.  Good for Mo, he excels woring with young players.  Maybe he can make something of Conley if they don't trade him first.

The Memphis Commercial Appeal, which first reported Thursday's firing, reported on its Web site early Friday that former Grizzlies coach Lionel Hollins will be rehired as Iavaroni's replacement. The paper said former Philadelphia 76ers coach Maurice Cheeks and longtime Los Angeles Clippers assistant coach and front-office executive Barry Hecker will join Hollins, who is currently an assistant coach with the Milwaukee Bucks, as assistants.

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
« Reply #1224 on: January 23, 2009, 12:19:44 PM »
Its hard to say if Mo is a good coach for developing PG's.  Lou and Iverson never really became PG's under him (but likely lost causes.)  He did get a lot out of Snow, Ollie and Overton.

Offline Skates

• View Profile
« Reply #1225 on: January 23, 2009, 01:03:25 PM »
In other news, Alonzo Mourning retired today. 

Really, other than an announcement making it official, this would be the proverbail tree falling in the forest with nobody to hear it.  Mourning was a warrior, but it is definitely time for him to hang it up.

Offline DuckyNinja

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #1226 on: January 25, 2009, 09:19:03 PM »
Cross Redd off the list of available players.  He's out for the year.

Offline Skates

• View Profile
« Reply #1227 on: January 25, 2009, 10:49:58 PM »
Cross Redd off the list of available players.  He's out for the year.

Bad for him, good for us, IMO.  Maybe Milwaukee would like some WG as a replacement, after all he is a "starting" SG on a team with a 0.500 record.

Offline Skates

• View Profile
« Reply #1228 on: January 25, 2009, 11:15:19 PM »
Some things never change:

Going nowhere, the Clippers are showing signs that they've given up. They're on a pace to win 18 games and Mike Dunleavy has all kinds of trouble on his hands.

Baron Davis has been busy defending himself against teammates' whispers that he's healthy enough to play but taking his sweet time coming back from a hamstring injury. Davis won't be available tonight when he returns for the first time to Golden State since leaving last summer as a free agent.

Chris Kaman, out with a foot injury, has confided in various Clippers that he is in no rush to return to action before the Feb. 19 trading deadline, since he wants to stay in L.A. Ricky Davis recently waved off Dunleavy when he wanted him to participate in a scrimmage. Dunleavy let Davis slide, prompting groans and grumbling from a few players, according to one Clipper.

Summing up all the injuries and bad karma, Marcus Camby said, "It's like no other place I've ever been." Well, it is Clipper-land.

Offline DuckyNinja

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #1229 on: January 25, 2009, 11:33:40 PM »
That's pretty hilarious.  Why were the Clippers not bought and moved to OKC? That would've made a lot more sense.