Author Topic: Mr. Smith visits Philly...  (Read 31003 times)

Offline Skates

• View Profile
Mr. Smith visits Philly...
« on: June 30, 2008, 09:30:29 PM »
A poster on PhilaPhans posted this link to the Atlanta papers citing Josh Smith as planning to visit Philly this week:

http://www.ajc.com/sports/content/sports/hawks/stories/2008/06/30/joshes_0701.html

Maybe that is where Stefanski's "reservations" are coming from.

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
Re: Mr. Smith visits Philly...
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2008, 09:40:08 PM »
Sf 1976 has said that Smith would be Ed's 1st choice.

I personally would see Brand as the better fit, at least in the short term if we want to contend while we still have Miller.

jemagee

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2008, 09:44:34 PM »
ANd in the long term smith is a much better option, especially if speights pans out in a few years and can somehow play center :)

Just find another point guard - there are TONS available

Offline TheGuiltyParty

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2008, 09:54:49 PM »
Hmmm... if Smith is coming up here later in the week... than what the hell is Stefanski during tonight/tomorrow? I mean, if Smith is option #1, does Stefanski talk trades with other teams in case Smith ends up back in Atlanta? If so, wasn't Stefanski able to talk trades before July 1, so then Ed won't be doing all that much. Then again... Brand is now available and so I think Ed needs to look deep into that.

jemagee

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2008, 10:04:24 PM »
They have these things called telelphones...and agents...he can do both at once...he doesn't even need to be the first one to meet with Smith, let the coaching staff and dileo do it maybe...it's not that hard

Offline Skates

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2008, 10:05:38 PM »
I am much more comfortable with Josh Smith now that we have Speights.  With Iggy at the 2, Thad at the 3, Miller at PG and Speights off the bench we will have four guys capable of posting up at their various positions.  Smith is a nice complement to Speights when he plays at C because of the athleticism and shot blocking of Smith.  All things being equal, including age, I would much prefer Brand.  Their age is not equal howver, and that is where Smith has the biggest edge.

BTW, since I had not posted with him until after draft night, kudos to Jem who hopped on the Speights bandwagon very early last season, good call.

Smith may be coming later this week, but you can be darn sure his agent will be on the line with Ed tomorrow.

Offline TheGuiltyParty

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2008, 10:08:43 PM »
They have these things called telelphones...and agents...he can do both at once...he doesn't even need to be the first one to meet with Smith, let the coaching staff and dileo do it maybe...it's not that hard

What the hell is a telephone? I imagine most of this work has already been done... errrr... will be done at 12:01. I'm thinking that "later in the week" means Tuesday. Why wait? Does Smith or Stefanski have something better to do?

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2008, 10:38:24 PM »
I don't know about Ed, but Smith might be busy working on ways to blow, err, invest the 60Mil he's about to get paid.

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2008, 10:40:03 PM »
I'd be lukewarm about Smith.  His shot selection is pretty bad, he falls in love with his ineffective jumper far too much, commits more turnovers than he should.  He's a really inefficient offensive player.  If Mo could reign him in, maybe he'd work out.

Offline TheGuiltyParty

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2008, 11:03:03 PM »
I'd be lukewarm about Smith.  His shot selection is pretty bad, he falls in love with his ineffective jumper far too much, commits more turnovers than he should.  He's a really inefficient offensive player.  If Mo could reign him in, maybe he'd work out.

Yeah... I don't like Smith for all of the same reasons. I also don't see much upside in his game. I mean, the kid's got talent but I just don't think he'll ever fully harness that talent especially AFTER getting paid as if he has.

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2008, 11:13:20 PM »
No doubt the Sixers are a better team with Brand than with Smith.

But, I certainly would not complain if we are able to add a young, talented player like Smith to the team.  We would be far from a finished product, but that kind of youth and talent is a great base to build from, with a long window of opportunity.  Not to mention they would be fun as hell to watch.

Also, as Skates points out, down the road, Speights could be a good complement to Smith.

Offline Skates

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2008, 08:20:43 AM »
Despite all of their athletes, Atlanta has never struck me as playing a real up-tempo game that would better suit Smith's talents.  Smith definitely needs to grow his game and harness his considerable talent, but if he didn't have some flaws we would have no shot at him.  Playing with a real PG, and sadly Bibby is as close as Atlanta has had, like Miller could do wonders for his offensive game.  On D he needs to learn when to play his man staright-up and when to rotate defensively.  Sometimes he is like a kid in a candy store when he sees a blocked shot possibility and gets out of position.  We would need to get the post-game from Speights and others and would have to plan on Thad becoming the go to scorer (personally I think he will) as Smith and Iggy are not number 1 options in the last few minutes of an NBA game.

The way to get Smith would be the Joe Johnson method IMO as I posted over on PhilaPhans.  Agree to terms that Atlanta would have some difficulty swallowing with Childress, Williams and Horford due raises over the next few years and the need to re-sign or replace Bibby soon and Joe Johnson down the road.  Then go to Atlanta witha trade proposal.  Ed has repeatedly said that we will likely make a trade for a big, not a pure FA signing.  Offer up Jason Smith and a couple of first rounders.  They want to move Horford to PF anyway, Smith provides cheap and productive help at C and the picks get them more help at C and PG down the road, while saving them a bunch of money to use on Childress, Horford, etc.

jemagee

« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2008, 08:49:01 AM »
Rumors are that childress is going to leave the hawkas anyway

Offline Skates

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2008, 08:53:32 AM »
If a S&T involved the two Joshes coming here in return for Iggy and Jason Smith + a draft pick was offered, that would be an interesting possibility. 

Offline DuckyNinja

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2008, 09:14:54 AM »
If a S&T involved the two Joshes coming here in return for Iggy and Jason Smith + a draft pick was offered, that would be an interesting possibility. 

That also wouldn't make us any better.  Iggy>Smith and Childress is really a 6th man.