Author Topic: Important Upcoming Dates  (Read 9879 times)

Offline TheGuiltyParty

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Important Upcoming Dates
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2008, 09:41:38 PM »
I agree. The only thing that connects Brand to Philly was his interview on a Philly station. I really don't think he'll opt-out this year given the fact that Memphis isn't going to spend their money and Philly doesn't really have enough to offer him compared to what his current deal is.

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2008, 09:47:20 PM »
We might have another shot at Brand at the deadline.  If extension talks fall through we could send Miller (expiring), our 2 #1's and filler.  In fact we probably will be in as good of shape as anyone at the deadline (if we are willing to move Miller)- even if we sign a big named FA this summer.  I could even imagine a scenario where we signed Smith or Brand, and then flipped Miller+picks/filler for a guy like Billups.

Offline TheGuiltyParty

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2008, 10:00:56 PM »
Unlike last year, this year there figures to be a large number of BIG TIME expiring contracts available at the deadline so I don't think our odds will be that great. For example, if Brand is on the market... you could see someone like Miami dangle Marion's expiring deal and filler. I think that would be better than Miller and filler.

Here's a list of large expiring contracts for next season
Marbury: $21.9M
Iverson: $21.9M
Kidd: $21.3M
B. Davis: $17.1M
Marion: $17.1M
Brand: $16.4M
Bibby: $15.5M
Odom: $14.5M
R. Wallace: $13.6M
Szczerbiak: $13.0M
LaFrentz: $12.7M
Miller: $10.0M

As you see, there are plenty of teams that can dangle an expiring and other assets out there this year. Also of interest is that this group makes up a huge portion of the free agent class of '09. The only other players that might join them are Kobe Bryant and Carlos Boozer if they opt-out. I'm pretty sure Boozer will opt-out but I doubt Kobe will now.

jemagee

« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2008, 08:57:54 AM »
Ugh, no deadline deals, you over pay and then you run the risk that brand opts out anyway...and look how well they worked out in phoenix and dallas

Offline TheGuiltyParty

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2008, 11:17:17 AM »
Let me ask this... which franchise would you rather be a fan of right now:

Phoenix or Miami??
Dallas or Jersey???

I know Jersey just dealt Jefferson away, but the team is now a young squad with a lot of talented prospects. They also figure to have somewhere around $20MIL in cap space the summer that LeBron, Amare, Wade, and Bosh become free agents. That's not so bad.

Phoenix is suddenly an old team that is no longer looking to run and gun that has salary problems. Is Shaq going to suddenly be healthy this season even though he turns 37? Nash is 34 and so will his game fall off a bit? They got a healthy season from Grant Hill but is he capable of putting back-to-back healthy seasons together at age 36?

I think I'd take Miami and Jersey over Dallas and Phoenix.

Offline sixersftw

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2008, 11:33:44 AM »
jersey and miami.

both dallas and phoenix have just about hit their expiration dates.  Dallas' championship window has closed.  phoenix, as you noted, is very old.  on top of that Kerr looks like he's going to be a mediocre GM at best. 

I think jersey looks like they have alot of interesting prospects, i don't think any of them are supremely talented but there is a lot of time to prove me wrong.
    I think miami is overrated big time but they potentially could be good.  i like Beasley.  I think the Knucklehead/problem kid thing is likely overblown.  regardless he is insanely talented.  Marion looked really bad in his limited time in miami.  could just be an adjustment period, though.  wade is good but how many games is he gonna play this year?  they still have no real pg which leads to wade playing on the ball more than he wants to as well.  their supporting cast straight up stinks.

Offline TheGuiltyParty

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: June 30, 2008, 11:37:30 AM »
I made a thread about this since I'm interested as to what you guys think about the balance of power but once Jersey moves/removes Carter off of their lineup, I think they'll have a perfect situation for LeBron or Wade to step into.

PG: Harris
SG: LeBron/Wade
SF: Yi
PF: S. Williams
C: Brook Lopez

That team could be devastating in 3 years time.

Offline anklebreaker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: June 30, 2008, 11:42:22 AM »
The best way to describe the mid-season deals by Dallas and Phoenix last year is as if they were running a nose to nose race with the elite teams gunning for the big win in the final lap and someone pulled their e-brakes and they crashed, burned, and fell out of the race.   

Offline sixersftw

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: June 30, 2008, 11:49:01 AM »
PG: Harris
SG: LeBron/Wade
SF: Yi
PF: S. Williams
C: Brook Lopez

That team could be devastating in 3 years time.

that team will be devastatingly profitable.  doesn't matter if they likely couldn't win (no truly dominant big man unless lopez explodes, poor outside shooting, suspect d at sf and c.  but anythings possible w/ lebron).  Yi and lebron would be a moneymaking machine like non other.

jemagee

« Reply #24 on: June 30, 2008, 12:24:39 PM »
You know, I love all this 2010 planning, history indicates that it isn't going to happen, teams have tried this before, maneuverying for Kobe, or Yao or whomever, and it falls through, usually because in the end, no one is taking less money in the prime of their career.

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 30, 2008, 01:05:48 PM »
Let me ask this... which franchise would you rather be a fan of right now:

Phoenix or Miami??
Dallas or Jersey???

I'd throw LA/Memphis into that mix.  not done right at the deadline, but same kind of deal.  I would hope the young Sixers are more likely to make a Gasol type of deal than a move for a last ditch effort with a fading star.

jemagee

« Reply #26 on: June 30, 2008, 01:57:07 PM »
You need a really cheap owner desperate to save money - after the reactions to the gasol deal don't expect to see another one similar any time soon

Offline TheGuiltyParty

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: June 30, 2008, 03:44:34 PM »
You know, I love all this 2010 planning, history indicates that it isn't going to happen, teams have tried this before, maneuverying for Kobe, or Yao or whomever, and it falls through, usually because in the end, no one is taking less money in the prime of their career.

Actually the best example of that was Orlando gearing up for Tim Duncan way back in the day. They ended up with McGrady and Grant Hill and didn't get past the first round until a couple months ago when both had been gone for at least a year.

Offline johnny broad-street

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: June 30, 2008, 07:26:06 PM »
I remember that....it was so sweet

Offline johnny broad-street

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: June 30, 2008, 08:15:28 PM »
The Sixer Fixer wrote: