Author Topic: Should we just concede Artest and others to the Lakeshow?  (Read 1881 times)

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
Should we just concede Artest and others to the Lakeshow?
« on: June 19, 2008, 01:17:32 PM »
LA Times Mark Heisler June 19th.
"However, from the day they made the trade, the Lakers never thought they would end up paying that much, suggesting they were already thinking of moving Odom.  Indeed, Odom was in their (the Lakers) package for Gasol until Memphis owner Michael Heisley took him out, asking for lesser players who afforded more cap relief.."  :o
(Its since been taken down, but the same article said maybe the Grizz owner would not give up Mike Miller to the Lakers since the fallout from the Gasol Gift.)  "Maybe"  :D :D

Re the Lakers roster next season, Coach Phil Jackson referred to any forthcoming changes as "incremental," not sweeping, which makes sense for a team that was two victories from a championship despite going five months without its most intimidating defensive presence.
"The only missing part that I've always consistently said is we need a head-banger, we need a tough guy on this team," Jackson said after signing a two-year extension with the Lakers a month into this season.

msc, Vic the Brick lamenting Phils non use of Ira Newble to body up on Pierce if even for 6 minutes a game.  Reaction?
« Last Edit: June 22, 2008, 01:27:58 PM by Reality »

Offline msc

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Should we just concede Artest and others to the Lakeshow?
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2008, 06:58:50 PM »
As usual, I'm not sure I fully understand your post.  I think you're assuming the Lakers will get Artest because of the NBA/Laker conspiracy.  I think you're asking me my opinion, but again, not sure.  I'll give it anyways. 

First, I have to comment on the moronic, chicken-little fans we have here in LA.  If you listen to sports talk radio a bunch of idiots are calling in saying "trade Odom", "fire Phil", "Kobe sucks, trade him".  To me, this is laughable.  This team was not at a championship level all season and they met a team that was playing at that level in the Finals.  It's not rocket science.  I like this team a lot and think they should do everything possible to keep Vujacic and Turiaf.  Hopefully, Bynum can get healthy in the off season and come back next year to add that physical presence down low that we've been sorely missing. 

I DO NOT want Ron Artest, ever.  I'd rather not make the playoffs than have Ron Artest.  I hope to God the Lakers don't make a move for him.  I don't anticipate they will. 

I'll take my chances next year with this exact same roster with a healthy Bynum and Ariza and a full regular season for these guys to play together. 

As far as Newble.  He's a nice defender, but played maybe 10 minutes total with this squad and that was in garbage time.  He never became acclimated to the offensive or defensive schemes (if we even have any defensive schemes  :D).  I don't think you look to a guy who's been on your team for a few weeks and hardly seen any PT to come in and save you in the Finals.  Especially if that guy is Ira Newble.  Call me crazy. 

The Lakers simply lost to a better team.  They don't have to throw the baby out with the bath water.  The Celtics won what 66 games this year?  They were 6 games from matching the Bulls record setting season while playing in a league with 10x the parity as when the Bulls did it.  Why is anyone surprised they kicked our butts?  I'm not and as I've said all season long, this wasn't the Lakers year to win a championship.  They clearly weren't playing at that level on the defensive end of the court all season long and not playing solid D in the playoffs won't earn you a title.  Frankly, I'm shocked we got past Utah and SA. 

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2008, 07:34:28 PM »
I was very impressed that the Lakers did get by Utah and San Antonio.  It was clear that they were a better team than last year, but to improve all the way to become the best in the West has to be great for LA fans.

I think LA will be one of the top choices for free agents hoping for a shot at a ring. Too bad they didn't go after Sam Cassell to keep him out of Boston!

At a certain point in a player's career, it's not about money anymore, it's about getting a ring.  Boston would be a good destination if there were any openings. San Antonio would also be a good choice, but LA is closer to winning right now.

It's normal for the home crowd to get a little over excited about their team's chances, and with all the success they had in the playoffs, it wasn't just Laker fans, but lots of professional sports personalities were singing the praises of Kobe and saying it was the Lakers to loose. There wasn't a lot of serious analysis though, just a trip back through memory lane.  Anyone who looked hard at the numbers and the personnel and match-ups had to be leaning towards Boston. Their defense was incredible at time this season and it really made a difference in the Finals. 

After seeing LA over-run the W.C. to see Boston stop them cold was really amazing. Pierce, Allen and KG are known for their offensive skills, but they were playing defense and working their butts off in the process. Even though Kobe had a good series, he was held well below his average and was totally ineffective in crunch time.

I think Westkoast posted that he "wasn't feeling the rivalry"  But that's no surprise.  No matter how the league wanted to spin it, this wasn't an old rematch.  But next year if the same two teams are in it, there will be a new rivalry.

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2008, 10:42:58 AM »
As usual, I'm not sure I fully understand your post. 
I'm always happy to do a rewrite.

I think you're assuming the Lakers will get Artest because of the NBA/Laker conspiracy. 
  No, I think that is more because of his Kobelove along with the Lakers being a contender.  Altho we know the reason they are now a contender. ;)  Add in Phil says the Lakers need a "tough guy" and there you have it.

First, I have to comment on the moronic, chicken-little fans we have here in LA.  If you listen to sports talk radio a bunch of idiots are calling in saying "trade Odom", "fire Phil", "Kobe sucks, trade him".  To me, this is laughable.  This team was not at a championship level all season and they met a team that was playing at that level in the Finals.  It's not rocket science.  I like this team a lot and think they should do everything possible to keep Vujacic and Turiaf.  Hopefully, Bynum can get healthy in the off season and come back next year to add that physical presence down low that we've been sorely missing. 

Agree on most all.  They should only get better with SuperByns return and as of this point it's not like any of the other contenders out West are going to top that.  Popavich will most likely continue the wasting of Tim Duncans championship window, Hornets will be better due to experience but so will SuperByns.  Yeah i think the Lakers would be just fine without additional collusion. 

I DO NOT want Ron Artest, ever.  I'd rather not make the playoffs than have Ron Artest.  I hope to God the Lakers don't make a move for him.  I don't anticipate they will.
  Watch out, Phil wants him.  And God might want him on the Lakers.  And more importantly to Laker Fans, Kobe wants him on the Lakers.

As far as Newble.  He's a nice defender, but played maybe 10 minutes total with this squad and that was in garbage time.  He never became acclimated to the offensive or defensive schemes (if we even have any defensive schemes  :D).  I don't think you look to a guy who's been on your team for a few weeks and hardly seen any PT to come in and save you in the Finals.  Especially if that guy is Ira Newble.  Call me crazy.
  Or call you Poppycockovich.  I've got to say, of all Vics ramblings the thought of playing Newble sparingly, ie when the Lakes were up 10 for a minute or two could not have hurt.  But i confess knowing next to nothing about Newble.

Now the point you did not get:  The LA Times writer was saying the Lakers need a solid consistently dependable shooter like Mike Miller of the Griz.  He went on to say they might not get him from the Memphis owner on the tails of the PR fallout from the collusion of Gasol.  "Might not".  Meaning they might.  Could you imagine the Memphis owner doing yet another collusion, say Ira Newble and an expiring for Mike Miller?  :D    :'(  Naw, that couldn't happen.

Joe Vancil
Pau Gasol, for Kwame Brown's expiring contract, Javaris Crittendon, a couple of draft picks, and a prospect.

Nah.  Something like that could never happen.
http://forums.phillyarena.net/index.php?topic=4562.0

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2009, 09:37:58 AM »
Done.

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2009, 09:40:12 AM »

msc are you still reveling over the Lakershows victories over that tough Orlando coach and Jameer Nelson?
Do you still not want Artest, ever?

Offline msc

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2009, 04:21:31 PM »

msc are you still reveling over the Lakershows victories over that tough Orlando coach and Jameer Nelson?
Do you still not want Artest, ever?

Sure, I'm still happy about the victory. 

Not happy about the Ron Artest signing.  Not happy about losing Ariza.  And not happy if we lose Lamar also.  Other than that, things are great  :)