Author Topic: Pistons fire Saunders  (Read 6922 times)

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
Pistons fire Saunders
« on: June 03, 2008, 10:41:06 AM »
Pistons Coach Saunders Won't Be Back Next Season

Jun 3, 11:11 AM (ET)

AUBURN HILLS, Mich. (AP) -The Detroit Pistons say Flip Saunders won't be back next season after leading the team to three straight appearances in the Eastern Conference finals.
President of basketball operations Joe Dumars said Tuesday a change is necessary despite Saunders' successes.

In his three seasons, the Pistons were 176-70 in the regular season and 30-21 in the postseason, but they lost in the conference finals each year.

Saunders had a year left on a four-year deal he signed in 2005. He replaced Larry Brown, who won a title in two trips to the NBA finals.

Any thoughts on where he ends up? 
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Pistons fire Saunders
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2008, 10:44:32 AM »
I dunno but can the Spurs get Joe Dumars as the GM?

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2008, 10:50:11 AM »
Pistons Coach Saunders Won't Be Back Next Season

Jun 3, 11:11 AM (ET)

AUBURN HILLS, Mich. (AP) -The Detroit Pistons say Flip Saunders won't be back next season after leading the team to three straight appearances in the Eastern Conference finals.
President of basketball operations Joe Dumars said Tuesday a change is necessary despite Saunders' successes.

In his three seasons, the Pistons were 176-70 in the regular season and 30-21 in the postseason, but they lost in the conference finals each year.

Saunders had a year left on a four-year deal he signed in 2005. He replaced Larry Brown, who won a title in two trips to the NBA finals.

Any thoughts on where he ends up? 

Flip has had some success but he keeps falling short.  Chicago?  Golden State (Nellie might be on his way out)?

IMO Flip is nothing special, maybe it's time to get some new blood in the water.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2008, 10:54:24 AM »
The talent in the East has got better and the Pistons have pretty much stayed the same.  I don't think that is Flip's fault as much as it is the front office.  That last time they had a major upgrade at a position is when they got Rasheed Wallace..... While I am not a huge Flip Saunders fan I find it kind of lame of the front office to try to place the blame on him.  Lebron James got better.  The Celtics added 2 all-stars.  Pistons?  Didn't really add any players that would have big impacts.   Then if you look at the age of some of the players on the squad and the injury that slowed down Billups I find it hard to agree Flip was the main problem.
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2008, 11:08:50 AM »
I think Flip is a solid regular season coach but comes up short in the playoffs.  I would put him near the top of the second tier of the coaches currently in the NBA.  I don't think he is good with young teams but can revive a veteran team swho is tuning out thier coach.  IMO he would be a good coach for either the Warriors or Suns.  He would be as good for the BUlls (probably better) than Collins.

But I also think a big part of his "failure" this year needs to be put on injuries in the playoffs to Billups and Rip.  When your starting backcourt is 100% it definately impacts your team in the conference finals.
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2008, 11:11:15 AM »

Are you just trying to look overly stupid or trying to goad the Laker youngsters into circular debates?

Anyone who keeps trying to fire one of the top GM/coach combos in the NBA should start following high school basketball where talent is the key as opposed to coaching, motivation, finding low draft gems, chemistry, salary cap concerns, etc.
-Moody Blues

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2008, 11:17:45 AM »
You're happy with less then Championship finishes with Championship rosters.
Go watch a rerun with the Spurs up 65-45 with 5:00 left in the third.  Watch it with Pop. 

You might learn something.  Someday.

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2008, 11:18:47 AM »

Are you just trying to look overly stupid or trying to goad the Laker youngsters into circular debates?

Anyone who keeps trying to fire one of the top GM/coach combos in the NBA should start following high school basketball where talent is the key as opposed to coaching, motivation, finding low draft gems, chemistry, salary cap concerns, etc.

If the Spurs do get Joe the Lakers would be more than happy to take the Spurs throw aways!

P.S. Yes, he is that stupid!
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2008, 11:19:54 AM »
Go watch a rerun with the Spurs up 65-45 with 5:00 left in the third.  Watch it with Pop. 

This comming from the same IDIOT who claims the Spurs had the best roster the past 6 years!  LMAO@U wanting to replace the front office that gave you the best roster over the last 6 years.

OWNED!
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2008, 11:27:33 AM »

This comming from the same IDIOT who claims the Spurs had the best roster the past 6 years!  LMAO@U wanting to replace the front office that gave you the best roster over the last 6 years.

OWNED!
The roster is the best because of holdover from previous years when the Spurs FO was the best.  The Spurs drafting and trading that last 3-4 years has otherwise been abysmal.  Esp tooling up for this year.  Outside of the Barry-Thomas gift that Poppazit subsequently squelched in the playoffs, they haven't done squat but have a revolving door of backup pt guards and instead of Scola its been Fabs Bonner and Findawg at the power forward.   
Thanks FRAN*.

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2008, 11:36:16 AM »

If the Spurs do get Joe the Lakers would be more than happy to take the Spurs throw aways!

P.S. Yes, he is that stupid!

I would love for the Lakers to have some of their scouts that's for sure.

Joe Dumars did an excellent job putting the first championship squad together but hasn't really quite tweaked/improved it over the years.  This is one spot the Spurs' front office is really good in.  Dumars is a great GM but I don't know if he can build another championship team or re-tool this one.   If they don't they will be left in the dust in the next 2-3 years as key players start to slow down and guys like Lebron, Dwight Howard, and the Celtics continue to improve.

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2008, 11:37:27 AM »
The roster is the best because of holdover from previous years when the Spurs FO was the best.  The Spurs drafting and trading that last 3-4 years has otherwise been abysmal.  Esp tooling up for this year.  Outside of the Barry-Thomas gift that Poppazit subsequently squelched in the playoffs, they haven't done squat but have a revolving door of backup pt guards and instead of Scola its been Fabs Bonner and Findawg at the power forward.   
Thanks FRAN*.

Please enlighten everyone as to the changes in the Spurs FO that has caused their fall from grace!  I know you will be googling like a mad man.
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2008, 11:48:01 AM »
Thanks FRAN*.

Please enlighten everyone as to the changes in the Spurs FO that has caused their fall from grace!  I know you will be googling like a mad man.

"They didn't get Scola when I told them too.  Have another cup Popacement."

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2008, 12:17:44 PM »

Joe Dumars did an excellent job putting the first championship squad together but hasn't really quite tweaked/improved it over the years.  This is one spot the Spurs' front office is really good in.  Dumars is a great GM but I don't know if he can build another championship team or re-tool this one.   If they don't they will be left in the dust in the next 2-3 years as key players start to slow down and guys like Lebron, Dwight Howard, and the Celtics continue to improve.

I disagree with this.  Joe has done an excellent job with low draft picks.  He has some solid youngsters on the team in Stuckey, Maxiel and Amir Johnson.  Affalo could also become a good rotation player in a couple years depending on work ethic and attitude.  I think one of the big problems with the Pistons is that their "locker room leaders" are Billups & Wallace - not two guys that you would necessarily call mentally tough in the sense that they bring every night and push the others to do the same.

Dumars also does an excellent job of managing the cap and bringing in players that mesh with the team.  I know certain posters think talent overrides team chemistry and that if needed any team can sign any player in the world.  But in the real world of the NBA Dumars is one of the top GMs.
-Moody Blues

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2008, 12:23:55 PM »
"They didn't get Scola when I told them too.  Have another cup Popacement."
Not too bad of answer Ralphie.  Progress.

Joe Dumars most certainly has brought along some younger players this year including those young uns getting playoff time.
These two got plenty:
Rodney Stuckey age 22
Jason Maxiell  25
While these two got decent sniffs as rookies.
Arron Afflalo  22
Amir Johnson 21

The injuries to Rip and Billups hurt along with no Gasoll gift like the one that bailed out you Collusionists.