Author Topic: Today is the 1 year aniversary of Kobe's public trade demands.  (Read 1872 times)

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
What a difference a year makes.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Today is the 1 year aniversary of Kobe's public trade demands.
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2008, 02:23:50 PM »
What a difference a gift from Memphis makes.

;)
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2008, 02:26:54 PM »
Somewhat props to Kobster last night for bringing the subject up at all and not trying to Laker Poster style twist it way, change the subject or flat out lie.

Interview question was asking him to go over this year.  He referenced the Gasol **trade** and said how some felt it was definitely something other then a trade.  However he said so matter of factly, did not try to spin it, refute it, color it.  Almost like he agreed it was collusion and accepted it as such.   Wow.

Offline msc

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2008, 02:46:12 PM »
Yes, it's truly unbelievable to me that the Lakers are in the Finals this year.  

I have mixed feelings on Kobe's tirade last year.  At the time, and still, I hated that he aired his views publicly.  On the other hand, his trade demand clearly lit a fire under management as well as some of these younger players who worked their butts off in the offseason.  All in all, I'd still rather Kobe didn't air his grievances publicly, but it's tough to argue the results.  

BTW, I'm not giving all the credit to Kobe for having the foresight that his tirade would have the positive result it did.  No doubt it could have easily gone the other way on him and the franchise.  The Lakers got lucky w/ the Gasol trade, which made everything hunky dory real quick.  

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2008, 04:16:45 PM »
What a difference a gift from Memphis makes.

;)

A gift?  I'd call a brand new Bently a "gift", Gasol for a bag of peanuts and a kiss on the cheek is more of a billion dollar "trust fund".
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2008, 04:23:15 PM »
I think Kobe and Phil Jackson deserve a lot of  credit for getting Pau Gasol on the same page right away.  Phil and the staff knew exactly how to use him.  Kobe and him gelled from the first day.   The guy is obviously a really talented basketball player but plugging in good basketball players on the fly doesn't always work out like that.  Ask the Houston Rockets and Portland Trailblazers.

Winning cures all guys!  Not just for players but fans as well.  I've had a very long week but seeing the Lakers get to the finals fixed my attitude right up lol
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2008, 04:27:49 PM »
I think Kobe and Phil Jackson deserve a lot of  credit for getting Pau Gasol on the same page right away.  Phil and the staff knew exactly how to use him.  Kobe and him gelled from the first day.   The guy is obviously a really talented basketball player but plugging in good basketball players on the fly doesn't always work out like that.  Ask the Houston Rockets and Portland Trailblazers.

Winning cures all guys!  Not just for players but fans as well.  I've had a very long week but seeing the Lakers get to the finals fixed my attitude right up lol

FYI,

In the triangle, the center position playing in the post is the easiest part to learn.
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2008, 04:30:08 PM »

FYI,

In the triangle, the center position playing in the post is the easiest part to learn.

That's funny because Ive seen many centers go through the Lakers that couldn't run it half as good as Pau Gasol.  Learning it is one thing, having the tools and chemistry with your teammates to execute is another.

It is more then just Gasol being a good player that the Lakers are like 38-8 with him on the team.
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline Skandery

• MSN Messenger - skandery27@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2008, 12:23:55 AM »
That's funny because Ive seen many centers go through the Lakers that couldn't run it half as good as Pau Gasol.

. . . Because its Pau Gasol!! 
"But guys like us, we don't pay attention to the polls. We know that polls are just a collection of statistics that reflect what people are thinking in 'reality'. And reality has a well-known liberal bias."

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2008, 09:36:41 AM »
That's funny because Ive seen many centers go through the Lakers that couldn't run it half as good as Pau Gasol.

. . . Because its Pau Gasol!! 

It is because the triangle is more fundamentally based and Europeans are taught how to read defenses, pass the ball and other basic skills.  Americans practice their dunking skills.  Not as a comparison of talent but of skill look at Fabs compared to Pau.  Good hands, nice passing, decent foot work.  Pau just has more talent to go with those skills which makes him the better player.
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues