Author Topic: 2008 free agent market  (Read 1664 times)

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
2008 free agent market
« on: May 30, 2008, 10:53:10 AM »
Unrestricted Free Agents

Gilbert Arenas PG Washington Wizards
Elton Brand PF Los Angeles Clippers
Antawn Jamison PF Washington Wizards
Shawn Marion SF Miami Heat
Baron Davis PG Golden State Warriors
Corey Maggette SF Los Angeles Clippers
Allen Iverson SG Denver Nuggets
Ron Artest SF Sacramento Kings
Jermaine O'Neal PF/C Indiana Pacers
Chris Duhon PG Chicago Bulls
Bostjan Nachbar SF New Jersey Nets
Jarvis Hayes SF Detroit Pistons
Sam Cassell PG Boston Celtics
Maurice Evans SG Orlando Magic
Roger Mason PG Washington Wizards

Restricted Free Agents

Josh Smith SF Atlanta Hawks
Emeka Okafor PF Charlotte Bobcats
Luol Deng SF Chicago Bulls
Monta Ellis SG Golden State Warriors
Andre Iguodala SF Philadelphia 76ers
Jose Calderon PG Toronto Raptors
Ben Gordon SG Chicago Bulls
Daniel Gibson PG Cleveland Cavaliers
Ronny Turiaf C Los Angeles Lakers
Nenad Krstic PF/C New Jersey Nets
Carlos Delfino SG Toronto Raptors
Sebastian Telfair PG Timberwolves
Stephon Marbury PG New York Knicks
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: 2008 free agent market
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2008, 11:07:06 AM »
Rumors are Baron Davis wants out.  He was not happy at the end of this season and looks to have a little rift going on with Nelson.

Elton Brand said to the media he wants to stay and that was echo'd by Elgin Baylor just a few weeks ago.  Elgin also said that they would like to keep Shaun Livingston around but it really depends on how he looks some July/August.
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2008, 11:09:39 AM »
Can you imagine if the Spurs got any of these guys?

Gilbert Arenas - Could Agent Zero play the 2 along side Parker?  Devestating, it would solve ALL their scoring problems.

Elton Brand - Ouch!  Best front line in the league if Brand went to the Spurs.  It would be tough for him to play alongside TD in the post but EB has a decent jumper.  Great fit but very expensive and who knows if EB will fully recover.

Antawn Jamison - Perfect fit.  Good size, good rebounder, good shooter and very athletic.

Shawn Marion SF Miami Heat - Perfecterest ;) fit.  Everthing Antawn is but better and much better defense.

Corey Maggette - Very good fit, can create his own shot and gets to the FT line like a mad man.  Very suspect defense and attitude.  Spurs would probably turn that around.

Allen Iverson - Nah, that would make the Spurs frontcourt too small BUT their scoring droughts woul vanish.
Ron Artest - Good fit but it would disrupt their offense.

Maurice Evans - Good fit, very athletic defensive player, loved him as a Laker but he is very limited offensively.  Probably a great replacement for Bowen but not the answer for the Spurs problems.

Restricted Free Agents

Josh Smith - Good fit but doesn't help their scoring.
Emeka Okafor - Excellent but he is not going anywhere.
Andre Iguodala - This would just be murder for the league.
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2008, 11:15:12 AM »
those included players with player options who haven't yet exercised them.

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2008, 12:14:11 PM »
those included players with player options who haven't yet exercised them.

Sorry!  :'( 
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2008, 12:53:03 PM »
Unrestricted Free Agents

Gilbert Arenas PG Washington Wizards
Elton Brand PF Los Angeles Clippers
Antawn Jamison PF Washington Wizards
Shawn Marion SF Miami Heat
Baron Davis PG Golden State Warriors
Corey Maggette SF Los Angeles Clippers
Allen Iverson SG Denver Nuggets
Ron Artest SF Sacramento Kings
Jermaine O'Neal PF/C Indiana Pacers
Chris Duhon PG Chicago Bulls
Bostjan Nachbar SF New Jersey Nets
Jarvis Hayes SF Detroit Pistons
Sam Cassell PG Boston Celtics
Maurice Evans SG Orlando Magic
Roger Mason PG Washington Wizards

Restricted Free Agents

Josh Smith SF Atlanta Hawks
Emeka Okafor PF Charlotte Bobcats
Luol Deng SF Chicago Bulls
Monta Ellis SG Golden State Warriors
Andre Iguodala SF Philadelphia 76ers
Jose Calderon PG Toronto Raptors
Ben Gordon SG Chicago Bulls
Daniel Gibson PG Cleveland Cavaliers
Ronny Turiaf C Los Angeles Lakers
Nenad Krstic PF/C New Jersey Nets
Carlos Delfino SG Toronto Raptors
Sebastian Telfair PG Timberwolves
Stephon Marbury PG New York Knicks

LOL, with our record, I don't think we would get any of these guys until they were over then hill...SA has a tendency to sign OLD, close to end of career players.  lol.
On the set of Walker Texas Ranger Chuck Norris brought a dying lamb back to life by nuzzling it with his beard. As the onlookers gathered, the lamb sprang to life. Chuck Norris then roundhouse kicked it, killing it instantly. The lesson? The good Chuck giveth, and the good Chuck, he taketh away.

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2008, 01:44:59 PM »
LOL, with our record, I don't think we would get any of these guys until they were over then hill...SA has a tendency to sign OLD, close to end of career players.  lol.

SA has been close to perfect at stocking the roster with solid role players and not over paying.  The problem is now the core is also up in age so the Spurs may need to break the mold this offseason.  The Spurs need to strengthen the core instead of just supporting it.  IMO if the Spurs are ever going to splurge the need to do it within the next two years.  There are a few "sure bets" in the market next year and a few the year after next.  IMO the Spurs will not be able to truely challange in the West unless they pick up a major assest.  I know we have said this before and the Spurs prove everyone wrong by sticking with the same formula BUT age was never a factor with TD or Manu.  TD is not over the hill but Manu is starting to feel his age and playing in the Olympics is not going to help him get refreshed for a push next year.  With the Lakers, Hornets, Jazz, Blazers and possibly the Rockets looking like they are going to get even tougher next year I don't think it will be enough to the Spurs to reload, IMO they need to UPGRADE.  I am not going to write the Spurs off but I'm also not going to dismiss the up and comming teams in the West either.
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2008, 02:26:16 PM »

SA has been close to perfect at stocking the roster with solid role players and not over paying.  The problem is now the core is also up in age so the Spurs may need to break the mold this offseason.  The Spurs need to strengthen the core instead of just supporting it.  IMO if the Spurs are ever going to splurge the need to do it within the next two years.  There are a few "sure bets" in the market next year and a few the year after next.  IMO the Spurs will not be able to truely challange in the West unless they pick up a major assest.  I know we have said this before and the Spurs prove everyone wrong by sticking with the same formula BUT age was never a factor with TD or Manu.  TD is not over the hill but Manu is starting to feel his age and playing in the Olympics is not going to help him get refreshed for a push next year.  With the Lakers, Hornets, Jazz, Blazers and possibly the Rockets looking like they are going to get even tougher next year I don't think it will be enough to the Spurs to reload, IMO they need to UPGRADE.  I am not going to write the Spurs off but I'm also not going to dismiss the up and comming teams in the West either.

I think Manu also had a foot issue, and a finger nail ripped off of his shooting hand, don't know HOW MUCH that would affect him, but he seemed confident after the loss stating the Lakers saw he was not well and went after him hard.  Playing in the Olympics, not a good idea, agreed, but I think our team is still Championshiop calibre, just need a tweak or two to help us out.  Tiago might be a nice addition if we could get him to sign.  We also have mahimni [sp?]coming in, so while our core should stay "young enough" the supporting cast on our team might get some fresh young faces this summer. 
On the set of Walker Texas Ranger Chuck Norris brought a dying lamb back to life by nuzzling it with his beard. As the onlookers gathered, the lamb sprang to life. Chuck Norris then roundhouse kicked it, killing it instantly. The lesson? The good Chuck giveth, and the good Chuck, he taketh away.