Author Topic: Robbed  (Read 8414 times)

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Robbed
« Reply #45 on: May 28, 2008, 02:58:42 PM »
Thinking of the Spurs play as of late reminds me of the video for "the unforgiven" by Metallica...

Yes, we are the old geezer in the video... :P :D ;D ;)
On the set of Walker Texas Ranger Chuck Norris brought a dying lamb back to life by nuzzling it with his beard. As the onlookers gathered, the lamb sprang to life. Chuck Norris then roundhouse kicked it, killing it instantly. The lesson? The good Chuck giveth, and the good Chuck, he taketh away.

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 28, 2008, 03:20:07 PM »
Thinking of the Spurs play as of late reminds me of the video for "the unforgiven" by Metallica...

Do you really think the Spurs core is old?  Their bench needs an over haul but not the core.

Timmay had some awesome games in 1 and 4, and not just offensively, he beat down Gasol like a red headed Mexican gardner!  TD just needs some help, dump useless stiff like Flabs and get some size and youth.  Kurt is a terrific find but he's older than dirt.  Udoka (sic?) was another gem the Spurs found.  The Spurs definately need some size to help TD and someone to run the point to give TP a rest.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #47 on: May 28, 2008, 03:27:48 PM »

Do you really think the Spurs core is old?  Their bench needs an over haul but not the core.

Timmay had some awesome games in 1 and 4, and not just offensively, he beat down Gasol like a red headed Mexican gardner!  TD just needs some help, dump useless stiff like Flabs and get some size and youth.  Kurt is a terrific find but he's older than dirt.  Udoka (sic?) was another gem the Spurs found.  The Spurs definately need some size to help TD and someone to run the point to give TP a rest.

I think he is saying it tongue in cheek but the core is not "young" either.  Duncan and Manu are both past 30. Plus think about the amount of games they've played in the last 5 years.  No team in the past 5 years has played as many games as the San Antonio Spurs.  That really does catch up to you.
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 28, 2008, 03:32:26 PM »
I think he is saying it tongue in cheek but the core is not "young" either.  Duncan and Manu are both past 30. Plus think about the amount of games they've played in the last 5 years.  No team in the past 5 years has played as many games as the San Antonio Spurs.  That really does catch up to you.

One problem with Manu is the way he plays.  He takes so much abuse that he will age alot faster than most players.  Not to mention smaller players rely more on athletic ability than big men, big men rely on being big more than anything.  TD can play a few more years because he is so fundamentally sound and stays in shape, Manu and Parker will show their age alot sooner, as will Kobe.

As much as I dog the Spurs I have always stated I respect them, they are a class franchise that is good for the league as a whole.  The problem is the West is getting so much stronger again that it will be tough for the Spurs to continue their run without some major reloading.
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline msc

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #49 on: May 28, 2008, 03:37:02 PM »
Fantasy can you tell me all the playoff games where Kobe has been bailed out by the refs on the final play?

Not even Kobe gets that call.  Just like Reggie said in the post game, you're not going to get that call unless you raise up and shoot.  Even then, it's tough to get that call on the last play of the game.  
  Kobe gets that call 100% of the time.  Had Barry jumped into Fisher like he should have, Reggie, Kenny, Charles and i dare say this board unanimously agree Barry would get the call for sure.  For 3 FTAs.  Bad move putting the ball on the floor for sure.

Malarky.  I know you're blinded by your love, but Kobe does not get every call especially touch fouls 30 feet from the basket with 1 second left on the clock while he's dribbling.  No one get's that call ... sorry.  

I'm happy to breakdown DVR with you, Reality, but what's the point?  We can both agree there were some bad calls both ways throughout the course of the game.

I was all for addressing this:

It was ridiculous for a while there at the end of the 1st and in to the 2nd qtr.  Kobe taking 29 shots and not getting to the free throw once?  WTF? 
along with WoW and much of Laker Nations drizzle about how the whole game the Lakers should have gotten 10-20 more FTs then the Spurs.  I would also like to address specific plays where Duncan took it to the foul plauged Laker frontliners but none of you want to go there, apparantly.

I'll take this opportunity to use one of your favorite moves:  

Spurs FT's = 26
Laker FT's = 19
Kobe FT's = 0

Not much of a discrepency, but you can't use your usual argument that the Lakers and Kobe get all the calls.  It just didn't happen last night.  

Regarding specific fouls against Duncan, I saw plenty of plays under the basket that could have been called both ways that weren't.  I think for the most part last night, and in the series as a whole, the refs let them play.  I also think it balances out, even though the Spurs shot 7 more FT's in a game where the Lakers were clearly the aggressor.  

Did they outplay the Lakers at all in that game? 
For stretches?  Absolutely.  I would call it 50-50 for who was outplaying who and when.  In fact the Spurs made many more stupid mistakes that benefitted the Lakers/kept the Lakers in the game then vice versa.

Sure boths teams played better at certain points in the game, but how can you call it 50/50 when the Spurs never led?  On their home court, they never once took the lead and you're saying it was 50/50?  BS.    

They had several opportunities to take the lead and throughout the course of the game and simply missed open looks.  Did you at any point in that game feel the Spurs were the better team that night? 

Totally agree and swinging the ball to tired Parker for wide open Js while people like Bowen and Findawg passed up open jumpers was to the Spurs undoing.  Also many of the wide open 3s had a Laker defender bullrushing the Spurs shooter.  Fake the shot, put the ball on the floor and either get a closer shot or take the ball to the rack if possible.  See what happens.  They died by the 3 or long jumper with the wrong players taking the shot.

Agreed. You still think it's 50/50?

Do you honestly believe the officials were the deciding factor in that game?

On the final play absolutely.  The game as a whole, once again Poppycock is Phils bitch.  That is obvious and cumulative.

Okay, then let's look at the critical play before that.  The play where Fish's shot clearly hit the front of the rim and bounced off of Horry out of bounds.  The shot clock should have been reset which would have meant the Spurs had to foul the Lakers, game over.  We wouldn't even be discussing Barry's dribble.  

It starts from the top with Popovich, and every player down the road said that call was a non-factor and they gave credit to the Lakers to sticking it to them in their building. 

Tim Duncan is the "top' of the Spurs and Coatails Pop should be considered a dream come true opponent coach for any RealLakers.  If you can't see the Phil Winters-Pop Cementhead disparity then i cant help.

I won't even address your inability to see Pop as a great coach.  Reading your posts every day, it actually makes sense to me that you can't grasp what a great coach he is.  

First, the Spurs are class acts, and even if they believed it, they wouldn't cry about it.  Second, and more importantly, they were on the court and they know they were badly outplayed and didn't deserve to win.  So they're not giong to come out and cry about a no call at the end of the game that would likely never be called in any game.  Take a lesson from "your team". 

First, i think anyone truly interested in fair hoop likes to see calls made correctly, irregardless of the team or player and especially with end of game altering calls.  People who lable others "crying" about clearly wrong calls to merely show their defensivenes and unwillingness to objectively talk about a call.  There is nothing classy about approving/condoning wrong calls, be those calls for or against Kobe, Shaq, Duncan or anyone.  That none of the Spurs players or Lord Poppycock would condone the call is like whatever to me. 
Its a sad state of pro sports all this situational calling/noncalling.  It's also obvious that not only the NBA but MLB and the NFL have no real interest in getting the majority if not the vast majority of calls correct with their lame nonuse of replay.

That having been said, yes the Spurs more then had their chances all game long and should not let it come down to a blown call like that.  Starting Finley was retarded and was yet another Pop special.  The 22-8 deficit was a tough one to overcome.

You're darn right I want to see the game called correctly.  I'm also objective and intelligent enough to realize that there are bad calls both ways in every single game and 99.9% of the time it balances out.  My point was and still is that last night it more than balanced out.  

That said as a fan I never want to see a game be decided by the refs making a chicken-s!@# call 30 feet from the hoop on a dribble.  If a player takes it strong to the hoop and is fouled, call it.  If they're taking a jumper and get knocked on the arm call it, but I don't want to see touch fouls 30 feet from the hoop on a non shooting play get called to decide a game in the playoffs.  I'd feel the same way if it was Kobe who took the weak sauce dribble instead of taking the shot and got fouled.  

I think most fans, coaches, players and GM's agree that they'd rather the refs let the players win or lose the game on the floor.  That's why you often see refs swallow their whistles at the end of a game unless it's an obvious foul in the act of shooting.   Last night was a perfect example of a good non-call down the stretch. 

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #50 on: May 28, 2008, 04:05:28 PM »
If they're taking a jumper and get knocked on the arm call it, but I don't want to see touch fouls 30 feet from the hoop on a non shooting play get called to decide a game in the playoffs. 

Then where were you in 2006 when Dirk got a touch foul 30 feet from the basket on Bowen.  Every Laker fan on this board was yelling shut up when I pointed it out.  But since it benefitted your team you "never want to see it".  In 2006 it gave the Mavs a 2-2 series instead of a 3-1 Spurs lead.  Then the Mavs melt down against the Heat.

This holier than thou attitude is BS.  And to use national media who repeatedly suck up to the big markets as support is also BS.  The Spurs blew the game in a myriad of ways but to ignore an obvious call because he dribbled is for the birds.  Fisher landed on his shoulder and disrupted Barry's ability to get off a clean shot.  A hand check 30 feet from the basket should be ignored; jumping on the back/shoulder of the opponent should always be called.
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #51 on: May 28, 2008, 04:14:45 PM »
If they're taking a jumper and get knocked on the arm call it, but I don't want to see touch fouls 30 feet from the hoop on a non shooting play get called to decide a game in the playoffs. 

Then where were you in 2006 when Dirk got a touch foul 30 feet from the basket on Bowen.  Every Laker fan on this board was yelling shut up when I pointed it out. 

That's not true Lurker and you know it.  I understand you are upset about last night's game but let's not try to lash out and pull a Reality here.  That is like me saying "Lurker your complaining about Barry not getting a call but you told me to shut up last year when I pointed out Bowen's obvious grab on Lebron in game 3"

Besides Lurker how can you go in one thread and bash the national media for going the easy route (write about the big market cuz it easier) but then try to defend them with a shot at me in another?
« Last Edit: May 28, 2008, 04:17:13 PM by westkoast »

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 28, 2008, 04:19:17 PM »
....jumping on the back/shoulder of the opponent should always be called.

Uhmmm........yea.....

I agree, that was not a touch or ticky tac foul that could or should have been overlooked, way too much contact to let that one slide.  I don't think I have tried to defend that call, in fact I came on the board right away and said I would be screaming my head off.  All I've been saying is that was not the only blown call that could have changed the outcome of the game.

It's also unfair to say the Lakers are never on the wrong end of that stick either (not that you're saying that, just the perception that is making the rounds today), there are plenty of examples of a critical call going against the Lakers.
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #53 on: May 28, 2008, 04:21:40 PM »

Then where were you in 2006 when Dirk got a touch foul 30 feet from the basket on Bowen.  Every Laker fan on this board was yelling shut up when I pointed it out. 

That's not true Lurker and you know it.  I understand you are upset about last night's game but let's not try to lash out and pull a Reality here.  That is like me saying "Lurker your complaining about Barry not getting a call but you told me to shut up last year when I pointed out Bowen's obvious grab on Lebron in game 3"

Besides Lurker how can you go in one thread and bash the national media for going the easy route (write about the big market cuz it easier) but then try to defend them with a shot at me in another?

It was true until I pointed out that I wasn't arguing a foul/no foul call but arguing that if you call something (or not) for 47 minutes then you should call (or not) the same in the last minute.  IMo same goes for last night.

Also I never defended the media...I just stated in the other thread that as Spurs fans we are used to being short changed by the national media.  My argument with you in the other thread was about you calling writers lazy even though they wrote an article about the game then wrote a SECOND article with little tidbits that didn't make the main article.
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #54 on: May 28, 2008, 04:24:35 PM »
....jumping on the back/shoulder of the opponent should always be called.

Uhmmm........yea.....

I agree, that was not a touch or ticky tac foul that could or should have been overlooked, way too much contact to let that one slide.  I don't think I have tried to defend that call, in fact I came on the board right away and said I would be screaming my head off.  All I've been saying is that was not the only blown call that could have changed the outcome of the game.

It's also unfair to say the Lakers are never on the wrong end of that stick either (not that you're saying that, just the perception that is making the rounds today), there are plenty of examples of a critical call going against the Lakers.

I will also say again that the Spurs should not have been in position where that one call/no call determined the game.  They lost the game on the boards and with sloppy ball handling.  Both things that usually boil down to "wanting" the game.  I am just saying that the big media's attempts to sweep it under the rug is BS. 

I wonder if it would have had the same coverage if the teams were reversed...especially in light of how Collins went on & on about Duncan's "european drive".
-Moody Blues

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #55 on: May 28, 2008, 04:27:25 PM »

It was true until I pointed out that I wasn't arguing a foul/no foul call but arguing that if you call something (or not) for 47 minutes then you should call (or not) the same in the last minute.  IMo same goes for last night.

Also I never defended the media...I just stated in the other thread that as Spurs fans we are used to being short changed by the national media.  My argument with you in the other thread was about you calling writers lazy even though they wrote an article about the game then wrote a SECOND article with little tidbits that didn't make the main article.

Maybe Randy was with you on that one but I never once have told you to shut up.  I've told Reality and JoMaL to shut up but not you.

Again Lurker...we went over this.  Maybe I was mistaken about your local writers but across the bored sports writers are lazy.  You are even agreeing with me about it by saying that they always take the easy route, writing about the big name teams, rather then really giving props based on sound analysis.  If a lot of them actually wanted a challenge and broke the game all the way down you would see the Spurs get more props because they are a hell of a basketball team.  That is my point.  You agree with me on it yet are having a hard time actually saying it.  Kind of confused on that one.  The fact that the Spurs don't get the media attention because they are a small market goes hand in hand with them being lazy.

Offline msc

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #56 on: May 28, 2008, 04:27:56 PM »

Then where were you in 2006 when Dirk got a touch foul 30 feet from the basket on Bowen.  Every Laker fan on this board was yelling shut up when I pointed it out.  But since it benefitted your team you "never want to see it".  In 2006 it gave the Mavs a 2-2 series instead of a 3-1 Spurs lead.  Then the Mavs melt down against the Heat.

I thought that was a chicken-s!@# call at the time.  You can lump me in with all other Laker fans, but I don't recall ever telling you to shut up on that call.  

This holier than thou attitude is BS.  And to use national media who repeatedly suck up to the big markets as support is also BS.  The Spurs blew the game in a myriad of ways but to ignore an obvious call because he dribbled is for the birds.  Fisher landed on his shoulder and disrupted Barry's ability to get off a clean shot.  A hand check 30 feet from the basket should be ignored; jumping on the back/shoulder of the opponent should always be called.

And this inferiority complex, small market, "poor us" mentality is BS too.  Everyone on the planet respects the Spurs.  And frankly, the Spurs have earned the respect they get.  The Spurs have earned a great reputation as a defensive squad.  Don't you see them getting the benefit of the doubt from the officials?  The opposite was true for Utah who has the reputation of fouling the most in the league.  A lot of the same calls the Lakers were getting against Utah, they're not getting against San Antonio.  This is based solely on reputation.  Right or wrong, it's human nature.  Our reputations precede us.  So when I see Kobe shooting 23 FT's in a game against Utah and then shooting 4 so far over a four game period against San Antonio, somethings not jiving.  Do the Spurs play him better?  Yes.  Do they play him THAT MUCH better?  No frickin' way.  

BTW, I'm okay with this.  It's up to the players to make the adjustment and play through it.  That's what the Lakers have done and that's what they did last night.  

That last play was a foul.  I would never disagree with that.  But when the officials are generally letting them play for four games, I don't think they should make that call on the last play of the game.  

My point will always be that the officials don't decide the games, the players do.  We can argue every call until we turn blue in the face, but anyone who watched the game last night knows which players played better and deserved the win.  

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 28, 2008, 04:29:07 PM »
I am just saying that the big media's attempts to sweep it under the rug is BS. 

I don't know what "media" outlets you are referring to but EVERYTHING on radio and television is about the non-call on the last play of the game.  Hardly a mention about the game overall.  All you hear is people attacking or defending that last play.  It is the TOP story everywhere.  IMO a lot of the "sweeping it under the rug" has to do with the way the Spurs are handling themselves and what they themselves are saying, more importantly NOT saying, about the play.
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline msc

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #58 on: May 28, 2008, 04:36:19 PM »
I am just saying that the big media's attempts to sweep it under the rug is BS. 

I don't know what "media" outlets you are referring to but EVERYTHING on radio and television is about the non-call on the last play of the game.  Hardly a mention about the game overall.  All you hear is people attacking or defending that last play.  It is the TOP story everywhere.  IMO a lot of the "sweeping it under the rug" has to do with the way the Spurs are handling themselves and what they themselves are saying, more importantly NOT saying, about the play.

Exactly, I was just about to post the same thing.  Everyone in the national media is harping on the play which is what motivated my first post saying there were plenty of calls against the Lakers to balance it out. 

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
« Reply #59 on: May 28, 2008, 04:50:12 PM »
especially touch fouls 30 feet from the basket with 1 second left on the clock while he's dribbling.  No one get's that call ... sorry. 

That was not a touch foul, sorry.  When you're trying to put yourself in a position for a shot, and somebody hits you hard enough to knock you backwards and off balance, that should be a call.  Whether that's 5 feet from the hoop or 45. 

Position on court shouldn't matter (and it's not like this was half court, either.  With 2 seconds to dribble Barry could have gotten it to the 3 pt line).  Regardless of where you are, someone landing on you is going to impede your shot, and if it's not called, gives the team committing the foul a clear advantage.

This "location of the court" and "time remaining" defense is BS.  Barry was within range where he could have gotten a solid shot off.  He was trying to get past fisher to improve his shot, and in doing so fisher landed on him and knocked him off balance.  That's a foul.  Arguing that it's not is asinine homerism.

Do I think the refs cost them the game?  No, because I think there were injustices everywhere.  But I can't see anyone say that wasn't a foul with a straight face.  If we're going to say "he wasn't in the act of shooting, so a non-shooting foul shouldn't decide a playoff game", what's next?  Shove a guy down so he can't receive a pass?  Trip a guy so he has to shoot from sitting on the floor?  Barry damned near fell when Fisher landed on him.  Considering he had a minuscule amount of time to begin with, if you don't think that OBVIOUS CONTACT and foul according to the rule books greatly diminished his chances of converting that play, you've got your head in the sand.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2008, 04:54:53 PM by Derek Bodner »