Author Topic: Robbed  (Read 8402 times)

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
Robbed
« on: May 27, 2008, 10:57:59 PM »
WayOutWest
If I was a Spurs fan I would be screaming my head off! 

Barry should have gone to the FT line for 2 on that play.
3 FTAs.

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
Re: Robbed
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2008, 11:00:32 PM »
WayOutWest
If I was a Spurs fan I would be screaming my head off! 

Barry should have gone to the FT line for 2 on that play.
3 FTAs.

2 at the most, he was not in the act of shooting.

Poetic justice after the 10 or so underserved Spurs FT's. 

DVR anyone?
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2008, 11:16:53 PM »
Lakers got robbed on that last possesion because they should have got a new 24 second clock and the Spurs should have been forced to foul Kobe.  Home court clock operator did not reset the clock and the refs cannot review that play.  Seems dumb to have the clock operator determine when the clock should be reset.
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2008, 11:26:53 PM »
Only reason Horry did not get the easy rebound is because Gasol has his arm hooked and pinned.  Obvious foul on Gasol.  Like Horry is not going to put his hand out and catch the airball/rim grazer.

Plenty more is right.  DVR caught it all.

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2008, 11:45:12 PM »
Only reason Horry did not get the easy rebound is because Gasol has his arm hooked and pinned.  Obvious foul on Gasol.  Like Horry is not going to put his hand out and catch the airball/rim grazer.

Plenty more is right.  DVR caught it all.

Foul on Horry YES!  But they are not going to call that, Lakers should have had a new clock and shot FT's.

Did the DVR catch the 1st quarter with 5 minutes to go?
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2008, 11:59:56 PM »
 :D :D
"warehouse"

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2008, 12:00:37 AM »
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2008, 12:13:34 AM »
I knew this thread would be here so let me just put something out there you won't hear about from the national media (edit: WOW mentioned it and beat me to it)......

Derek Fisher's shot that went off Horry's leg did in fact hit the rim.  The Lakers should have had a full 24 second shot clock instead of 2 seconds to toss up a shot.  Go ahead and check your TiVO, dig the internet for the replay, whatever you want to do.  His shot did in fact graze the bottom part of the left side of the rim before it went off Horry's leg.  That would have resulted in the Spurs having to foul and the Lakers getting a much better look.

As for Barry's no call a college referee called into KLAC to say that since Barry did not go straight up into Fisher that it should have been a no call.  They both violated what he said as 'verticality'.  When Fisher jumped towards Barry he broke his verticality.  When Barry turned and moved his shoulder into Fisher it violated the fact defensive players are allowed space to come down when they get in the air.  Since Barry shaded to his right and put the ball on the floor it puts the ref in a situation where a call like that makes them change the out come of the game.

My personal take?  If he goes straight up, 3 shots easy.  He was not in the act of shooting even if you wanted them to blow the whistle which would have warranted two free throws at the most.  You can't expect a ref to make that call if they never blow the whistle in those situations on more obvious fouls.  Barry ruined the play himself by not jumping straight up as soon as Derek left his feet.  His indecision on if he wanted to try to shoot or go around for a better look is what made them swallow their whistles.

(Oh btw...Kobe was NOT clutch tonight.  He looked like Kobe Karl in his first playoff game not Kobe Bryant 3 time champion)
« Last Edit: May 28, 2008, 12:22:08 AM by westkoast »
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2008, 12:29:15 AM »
Absolutely Barry should have jumped into Swisher and made a shot attempt for the automatic 3 and very likely ballgame given Barrdogs ft accuracy.

I dare say the board will be in unison on that.

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2008, 12:37:50 AM »
Absolutely Barry should have jumped into Swisher and made a shot attempt for the automatic 3 and very likely ballgame given Barrdogs ft accuracy.

I dare say the board will be in unison on that.

The play was suppose to go to Manu who....happens to be one of the best in the league in MAKING the refs blow the whistle when a player leaves their feet!!!! 

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2008, 12:45:16 AM »
^^ just shows more Pop idiocy to me.  Manu was clanking crap all night like in the 1st two games.  Barrdog was on fire.  Barrdog was asked afterwords and his answer makes no sense at all.  Says he did not see Fisher coming and that Fisher made a great play.  For the love of goodness I'm sure even from the most Krishna point of view Fisher made a horrible play. 

Barry should have jumped into Fisher, absolutely.

I do see the point that GNob would not have made the same error as Barry but please, does not 13 year vet Barry know what to do in that situation.  Of course Pop goes over it in practices of real end of game situations, right?  :D :D ;)

By the way, for Lurker and you squakers who say my contention that Barry should occasionally run the point.  Have a cup.

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2008, 12:51:18 AM »
^^ just shows more Pop idiocy to me.  Manu was clanking crap all night like in the 1st two games.  Barrdog was on fire.  Barrdog was asked afterwords and his answer makes no sense at all.  Says he did not see Fisher coming and that Fisher made a great play.  For the love of goodness I'm sure even from the most Krishna point of view Fisher made a horrible play. 

Barry should have jumped into Fisher, absolutely.

I do see the point that GNob would not have made the same error as Barry but please, does not 13 year vet Barry know what to do in that situation.  Of course Pop goes over it in practices of real end of game situations, right?  :D :D ;)

By the way, for Lurker and you squakers who say my contention that Barry should occasionally run the point.  Have a cup.

The play wasn't horrible.  Wasn't perfect either.  What happened is Fisher's rotation made it tough for Barry to get a quality look (good) but he left his feet to do it (bad).  Any type of pressure on Brent Barry would have been enough as he is not known to be a 35 foot end of game winning shot taker.  The part of the play from Fisher that was good and the reason Barry did not see him is Fisher was not near Barry at first.  He was guarding Michael Finley towards the bottom of the play.  The ball was suppose to go Manu, he set the screen to free Barry, then he was suppose to leak to the top for a 3.   Basic basketball end of game shot type play.   Problem is he never made it to the top of the 3 to get the ball after he set the screen.  Barry was free'd from his man because of the screen and would have had a wide open look had Derek not sprinted over to Barry.    So his rotation was good, leaving his feet was not as it leaves room to debate about how the end of game shots should be called.

Barry could have been in the league for 30 years and it still doesn't mean he's ever been put in that situation.  Certainly he never has on the Spurs.  Those end of game plays almost always go to Gnob.  So I disagree with you there and Barry's movements do as well.  If he was use to taking shots in that situation he wouldn't have hesitated like he did.  Like you said though...Barry had already hit 5 three point shots.  I don't know if you want Manu taking that shot.  Very tough call.

I still don't think Barry should run the point because Tony Parker doesn't really play with out the ball.  If Parker could come off screens a little bit better to hit jumpers then I would agree with you.  Taking him out of the play just so Barry MIGHT be able to make a good pass leaves you 4 on 5.  The Lakers are not worried about Tony Parker trying to get his Rip Hamilton on, that is for sure.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2008, 12:57:14 AM by westkoast »

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2008, 01:29:43 AM »
Barry could have been in the league for 30 years and it still doesn't mean he's ever been put in that situation. 
not sure about that. Barrdog may have been in on some end of game FTs in his career.  Either way, that is what practice and preparation is for.  Not just tonights shot, but Barry passing up shots has been a flaw in his game for quite some time.  I can relate in that he has programmed himself to play team ball and pass.  But he has failed in part to adjust that his role on the Spurs is in large part to shoot.  And most certainly in that situation with 2 seconds left.  Watch the replay.  Barry turns to face Fish in plenty of time to jump into Fish.  But Barry has trained himself as such that he tries to avoid contact with Fish.  Horrible strategy at that point in time.  Charles, Kenny and Reggie Miller (gasp) all nailed it that Barry needed merely to jump into Fish for the auto call, unless the NBAs scheduled Celtics-Lakers finals is a collusion.  I mean conclusion.

Certainly he never has on the Spurs.
  Postseason no.  Reg season, let me see...

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2008, 06:45:15 AM »
I'm sorry wk, that sounds like an explanation because you're a laker fan, not an unbiased fan explaining his opinion.  That play was a foul, and the referees were too scared to make the call.

The correct defense is that it canceled out the previous bad calls.  Most notably the fisher missed three that didn't reset the shot clock, but I also thought the parker layup moments before that Odom blocked and was called a goaltend, I thought Odom got to the ball first before it hit the backboard.

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2008, 07:32:01 AM »
I just rewatched the replay.  There is NO WAY you can objectively look at that and say Fisher went straight up and down.  He jumped into Barry.  And it definitely disrupted the play.