Author Topic: Lakers dodge a bullet  (Read 8966 times)

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
Lakers dodge a bullet
« on: May 21, 2008, 10:58:07 PM »
Lakers are lucky to have won that game.  Odom and Manu pulled their disappearing act again and for a while it looked like the Lakers were going to miss Odom more than the Spurs were going to miss Manu because Kobe did not start scoring until the 2nd half.

IMO the critical mistake that cost the Spurs the game was taking Duncan out when the Lakers were making their run midway through the 4th quarter.  I know TD just came off a game 7 and was probably tired but he needed to stay in the game because he was dominating on both ends.  He ended up sitting for only 2 or 3 minutes but the Lakers were on a roll and picking up their defense.

Looks very much like the Spurs/Suns series in round 1, the Suns looked like they could have easily won game 1 and then gave away game 2 and then folded like a lawn chair.  Hope the Spurs follow the same pattern.

Big props to the Spurs for playing an excellent game after comming off a draining game 7 and fubar flight to L.A.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Lakers dodge a bullet
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2008, 11:02:12 PM »
Stupidest move of the night was taking Bowen off Kome with the Spurs up 20.
Bowen should have played as long as he could.  So what if he fouls out mid 4th with the Spurs up 20.

And what on Earth was the Spurs offense when Duncan was out.  Derrr errr think Manu was having a bad game?

Pop-A-Moron loses a 20 pt 3rd qtr lead to Phil. :D :'(

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2008, 11:07:32 PM »
Bowen should have played as long as he could.  So what if he fouls out mid 4th with the Spurs up 20.

And what on Earth was the Spurs offense when Duncan was out.  Derrr errr think Manu was having a bad game?

Did you watch the game?  The Lakers doubled TD and he was finding the open shooters, they just were not making their shots down the stretch.  When the Lakers did not double TD he scored easily on anybody the Lakers put on him. 

If by out coaching you mean PJ stopped time and adjusted the ball just right as it left the Lakers shooters hands and Pop did not do the same for the Spurs shooters then yes, PJ outcoached Pop.
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2008, 11:08:19 PM »

Bowen wasn't able to guard him either way and he actually needed a rest.  This is where fatigue and miles come into play.  The Spurs as a whole looked gassed at the end and that was a huge difference.  Pop did not blow that lead. 

Please for once place some blame on "Super"Manu for disappearing in a playoff game and really playing well below his level.  His poor play really hurt this squad tonight.  They need big numbers from him and got just the opposite.
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2008, 11:10:27 PM »
How was Tim being doubled when he was on the bench?  This should be good.
And what on Earth was the Spurs offense when Duncan was out?.  Derrr errr think Manu was having a bad game?

And Bowen had Kobe on lock the entire time.  There was NO reason to take Bowen out.  By the time he came back in the lead was gone.  Plus Finley on Odom.  Oh that was special.

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2008, 11:12:21 PM »
Lakers are lucky to have won that game.  Odom and Manu pulled their disappearing act again and for a while it looked like the Lakers were going to miss Odom more than the Spurs were going to miss Manu because Kobe did not start scoring until the 2nd half.

Very disappointed in Lamar tonight.  The Spurs have no answer for him and aside from backing down Finley to tie the game he played very poor.

IMO the critical mistake that cost the Spurs the game was taking Duncan out when the Lakers were making their run midway through the 4th quarter.  I know TD just came off a game 7 and was probably tired but he needed to stay in the game because he was dominating on both ends.  He ended up sitting for only 2 or 3 minutes but the Lakers were on a roll and picking up their defense.

He had to go out.  He looked very tired at that point and I think if you left him in it wouldn't have mattered.  Kobe was going to get his regardless if Duncan was in or not.

Big props to the Spurs for playing an excellent game after comming off a draining game 7 and fubar flight to L.A.

I know the Spurs fans and Pop doesn't want to use the plane thing as an excuse, especially after a day of rest yesterday, but I felt that was a factor tonight.  The Spurs had this game wrapped up and blew it.  All in all tho I think this is just one loss and one game they were expected to lose.  I don't think its devastating at all.  This team is too good to get rattled after one close game.  They certainly smacked the Lakers around something serious for most of the game.  It was kind of cool to hear the rowdy idiot Laker fans (yes guys they exist but you wouldn't know for our guys on phillyarena ;) ) shut up for a while.  They always annoy me.

Major props to the Lakers and especially Kobe Bryant for not giving up.  Anyone who says Chris Paul should still be the MVP probably should re-think it after tonight.    They say a team takes after their leader and that is exactly what this squad has done.  They do not back down, they do not give up, and they come to play each night in the playoffs.  Their defense and offensive attack was brutal in that 3rd and 4th quarter.  Got to give them props for that. 

Reality seriously I'm not letting you run from this one.  Admit Manu sucked bad and is so far from Super it's not even funny.  Blame Manu for the Lakers getting back into the game before Pop.  Or better yet blame Pop...FOR STARTING HIM LOL
« Last Edit: May 21, 2008, 11:15:09 PM by westkoast »

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2008, 11:17:56 PM »

Bowen wasn't able to guard him either way and he actually needed a rest. 
I defer to Kobe who has stated Bowen is by far the best defender.  Bowen ended up playing only 35 minutes.  I say only because he had Kobe on lock up until then.  Bowen needs a rest?  Fine, give him a couple minutes, not the entire 25-5 Laker run.  Would Kobe have lit up anyways.  Not in my book.  Sure Kobe might have started to score, but not to the tune he did.

Please for once place some blame on "Super"Manu for disappearing in a playoff game and really playing well below his level.  His poor play really hurt this squad tonight.
Horribe game.  Thus i asked, why did Poppycock feature GNob in the offense while Duncan was out?  He was obviously having a crappy game and showed no signs of that changing.  Have some faith in your bench and other players and take the offensive focus off Manu.  Another non adjustment by PopaCement, whose record vs Phil is getting pathetic. 

Offline Laker Fan

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2008, 11:19:17 PM »
Excuses all you want, you knew Kobe was coming ot to play in the second half and Bowen or no Bowen, he was going to put this team on his back, he did and at the same time he made his teamates look brilliant, especially Gasol. Kobe proved he deserved the MVP this year, what a performance in the second half.

And WOW your not giving the Lakers props for stepping it up and fighting back when all the Spurs had to do was stick with their defensive game plan is weak, give 'em some props dude! That was poise under pressure against the DEFENDING WORLD CHAMPIONS! They didn't lay down and whimper, they gutted out a win when there was no indication they could.
Dan

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2008, 11:24:51 PM »
Reality seriously I'm not letting you run from this one.  Admit Manu sucked bad and is so far from Super it's not even funny.  Blame Manu for the Lakers getting back into the game before Pop.  Or better yet blame Pop...FOR STARTING HIM LOL
I guess that's why you had to go back and edit it after i answered. :D
Rrrrrraaaagh.

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2008, 11:26:00 PM »

Bowen wasn't able to guard him either way and he actually needed a rest. 
I defer to Kobe who has stated Bowen is by far the best defender.  Bowen ended up playing only 35 minutes.  I say only because he had Kobe on lock up until then.  Bowen needs a rest?  Fine, give him a couple minutes, not the entire 25-5 Laker run.  Would Kobe have lit up anyways.  Not in my book.  Sure Kobe might have started to score, but not to the tune he did.

Please for once place some blame on "Super"Manu for disappearing in a playoff game and really playing well below his level.  His poor play really hurt this squad tonight.
Horribe game.  Thus i asked, why did Poppycock feature GNob in the offense while Duncan was out?  He was obviously having a crappy game and showed no signs of that changing.  Have some faith in your bench and other players and take the offensive focus off Manu.  Another non adjustment by PopaCement, whose record vs Phil is getting pathetic. 

The asked Popavich the same question during game 6 when Manu had a crappy first half...

Ric Buchler: What made you think that Manu could bounce back after having a horrible first half? (not exact quote but close)

Popavich: Cuz he's Manu Ginobilli  ???

As for the bench, he had faith, I've never seen Popavich cycle around so many bench players in the first half of a game before.  They just didn't get it done tonight.  I think that was the best chance they would have got to steal a game from the Lakers in LA.

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2008, 11:26:32 PM »
I guess that's why you had to go back and edit it after i answered. :D
Rrrrrraaaagh.

Actually no...that was posted before you answered.  I never went back to edit it after.

Popavich did not and I repeat DID NOT get out coached tonight.  Phil Jackson didn't even tell Kobe to take over.  He just did it himself.  In fact Phil said that Kobe got away from the triangle in the 3rd and wanted him to go back to it even tho he cut the lead all the way down playing the "bermuda triangle" as Phil called it.

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2008, 12:13:50 AM »
The other factor was TP, I really did not pay attention but what did he do in the 4th?  TP was owning the Lakers.  He was unstoppable and was hitting his jumper, not sure what happened to him in the 4th.
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline Skandery

• MSN Messenger - skandery27@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2008, 01:06:33 AM »
All in all tho I think this is just one loss and one game they were expected to lose.

I completely, 100% disagree with you westkoast, and also Kenny Smith and Charles Barkley who said the same thing you did.  This is the kind of loss that sets you back psychologically.  This is the kind of 1 game loss that is much more than just a 1 game loss.  Grueling 7 game series, eek out an emotional 7th game on the road, sleep on the tarmac, old, tired, sleep deprived, exhausted, in Staples, playing well, huge lead, coasting through the game, victory within reach, almost there, SMACK!!!  YOU LOSE!!  Reggie Miller said it, you just can't give up games to great teams in the playoffs.  I would be very fearful of this series ending very quickly ala the Suns-Spurs in the 1st round were I a Spurs fan.

he did and at the same time he made his teamates look brilliant, especially Gasol.

I completely, 100% disagree with you Laker Fan.  Gasol makes Kobe's passes look good, NOT the other way around.  I will GUARANTEE you that's Kwame Brown on the other end of those Kobe lobs, they ain't falling through the hoop.  The adjustment in the air through defensive traffic while maintaing the poise and touch to convert some of those lobs are INCREDIBLE by Gasol!!  I'll give credit to Kobe for trusting his teammates more and giving up the ball this year and I think its done wonders for his game.  But lets not pretend that Kobe makes Gasol's game, we're talking an All-Star calibre bonafide 20 point a game, franchise Power Forward here.  He's making it look pretty easy out there and its not.
"But guys like us, we don't pay attention to the polls. We know that polls are just a collection of statistics that reflect what people are thinking in 'reality'. And reality has a well-known liberal bias."

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2008, 01:34:20 AM »
I must have watched a different game because I don't get the sense of doom that I think I should be getting after watching this game, I think the Spurs ran out of gas.  NO offense to the Laker D, but I think my squad should have been able to handle the LA push and didn't.  I agree, very much like the Suns series, although I don't think we will fold because of this.  IMO, I think LA needs to figure HOW they ended up down 20 on their home court in the first place before I would start thinking the Spurs CAN'T win this series.  It can happen again, and if it does, I have faith my team can push back against the Laker run.
On the set of Walker Texas Ranger Chuck Norris brought a dying lamb back to life by nuzzling it with his beard. As the onlookers gathered, the lamb sprang to life. Chuck Norris then roundhouse kicked it, killing it instantly. The lesson? The good Chuck giveth, and the good Chuck, he taketh away.

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2008, 07:37:03 AM »
The other factor was TP, I really did not pay attention but what did he do in the 4th?  TP was owning the Lakers.  He was unstoppable and was hitting his jumper, not sure what happened to him in the 4th.

They switched the way they were doing under/over those screens.  In fact I think that Phil Jackson spoke to Skandery on how to handle it because Skander broke down pretty much what they did to him in that second half.

Team that up with the fact his legs looked tired so his shots were not going up as well as they should, you got what happened.