Author Topic: OT - hydrogen generator that can be added to regular engines...  (Read 1497 times)

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
This is an interestign story, Steve Gerhlein is a local mechanic with some successful repair shops in town, not your sloppy mechaninc, the guy is very professional and has built a repuation for knowing his stuff and doing quality work - he even has a talk show on am radio here.  So it is interesting to see him saying this thing really works.  Also Southwest Research (SWRI) is THE place to test such a device IMO - I wonder if they will get the numbers gerhlein is claiming this thing can get.  If it does, I would be ready to spend the dough on it rather then go getting a new car.

http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/metro/stories/MYSA052008.gas.saver.KENS.131e4416.html
On the set of Walker Texas Ranger Chuck Norris brought a dying lamb back to life by nuzzling it with his beard. As the onlookers gathered, the lamb sprang to life. Chuck Norris then roundhouse kicked it, killing it instantly. The lesson? The good Chuck giveth, and the good Chuck, he taketh away.

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
Re: OT - hydrogen generator that can be added to regular engines...
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2008, 10:02:35 AM »
I hope something comes along that's better than this ethanol sham more and more politicians are pinning their hopes on.

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2008, 10:06:42 AM »
This is an interestign story, Steve Gerhlein is a local mechanic with some successful repair shops in town, not your sloppy mechaninc, the guy is very professional and has built a repuation for knowing his stuff and doing quality work - he even has a talk show on am radio here.  So it is interesting to see him saying this thing really works.  Also Southwest Research (SWRI) is THE place to test such a device IMO - I wonder if they will get the numbers gerhlein is claiming this thing can get.  If it does, I would be ready to spend the dough on it rather then go getting a new car.

http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/metro/stories/MYSA052008.gas.saver.KENS.131e4416.html

That is very encouraging. 

I worked on the hydrogen fuel cell project for the company that has their fuel cell in 90% or the car manufacturors cars.  It is a viable alternative but the 600,000.00 dollar cost for the actual fuel cell (per car) and the billion dollar cost for the hyrdogen fuel infrastructure made the reality of that alternative 20 years away.  The oil companies would like a 20 year window of money grubbing which is why the backed the project.  Hope this hydrogen generator is legit and not blocked by big oil.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2008, 10:08:43 AM »
I hope something comes along that's better than this ethanol sham more and more politicians are pinning their hopes on.

A lot of cars today can run on ethonal, I forgot but you can tell just by the VIN if your car is able to take ethonal, they have a station here that the public can use but I think the mileage is a third of what regular gas is, so you actually end up filling up more often, yeah, to me ethanol is a waste of time.
On the set of Walker Texas Ranger Chuck Norris brought a dying lamb back to life by nuzzling it with his beard. As the onlookers gathered, the lamb sprang to life. Chuck Norris then roundhouse kicked it, killing it instantly. The lesson? The good Chuck giveth, and the good Chuck, he taketh away.

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2008, 06:36:29 PM »
It's hard to believe that supplementing gas with hydrogen and oxygen could produce as much of an increase as the guy claims.  He doesn't say anything about the extra draw on the alternator to break down the water into hydrogen and oxygen.

Besides, hydrogen and oxygen go from gas to liquid when burned, it implodes rather than explodes.

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2008, 01:40:24 AM »
Like I said, this guy has built a rep around here for years as being reliable and intelligent - he is not just some schmo.  That is what caught my attention.  SWRI is also an excellent test location, it will be interesting to see what they say about this after testing it.  I have family that works there so I might be able to get some info on the testing.

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2008, 06:46:25 AM »

A lot of cars today can run on ethonal, I forgot but you can tell just by the VIN if your car is able to take ethonal, they have a station here that the public can use but I think the mileage is a third of what regular gas is, so you actually end up filling up more often, yeah, to me ethanol is a waste of time.

Ethanol isn't even better for the environment.  The slight decrease in pollution carbon generated from burning ethanol is offset by the amount of forest taken down so they can grow corn.

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2008, 09:05:09 AM »

Ethanol isn't even better for the environment.  The slight decrease in pollution carbon generated from burning ethanol is offset by the amount of forest taken down so they can grow corn.

I know there is a lab south of here that is making Algae that produce ethanol, it reproduces itself , you can create a lot of it in a lot less space then one corn field, and it may cost less the corn since the rpcie is going up....I still can't say I would use it though..

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2008, 02:52:54 PM »
Ethanol is a joke, still energy net negative when you consider the cost to grow and process from Corn.  Bio Diesel on the other hand, is energy net positive growing the proper crops.

The problem is that Ethanol is subsidized so it is being made artificially more attractive.  It is asinine public policy to promote the use of anything by artificially subsidizing it.  Energy creation is expensive and difficult and the methods used should be the ones that are the most cost effective.

Oil is currently the most cost effective, but at some price, it won't be. That's when you'll see the alternative methods appear.  And the answer is not fuel cells.