Author Topic: Lakers/Spurs Series  (Read 3991 times)

Offline Skandery

• MSN Messenger - skandery27@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Lakers/Spurs Series
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2008, 04:48:37 PM »
On paper this should be a really good series.  The Spurs have their Big 3 (Parker, Ginobili, Duncan) and solid core of role players, the Lakers have their Big 3 (Kobe, Odom, Gasol) and a solid core of role players.  The Spurs have a solid, proven, championship-level coach, the Lakers have a solid, proven, championship-level coach.  The Spurs are a WC powerhouse that hang their hat on defense, ditto the Lakers.  By any measure you're looking at a hard fought 7 game, nail-biter of a series that'll go right to the wire before a winner is chosen.  Problem is I just don't see it playing out that way.

The Lakers are pretty much an unstoppable offensive force.  They'll post Gasol where he can score, pass, or swing.  They'll have Lamar Odom on the high post where he'll go right around KT or Fab, or setup the offense, unless they have the likes of Finley/Udoka on him in which case Odom will post.  Ditto Walton for a few plays should he find an undersized Spur on him--Barry, Vaughn, Parker, etc.  Any double teams on Gasol/Odom will have Vujacic, Radman, Fisher (who will stab you in the heart with a knife), Farmar, etc drooling.  And then there's this x-factor they call Kobe.  Expect Gasol, Odom, and Turiaf to crash the offensive boards hard on nearly every possession.  On defense they'll pack the lane on Parker and Ginobili daring those two to beat them from outside while using single coverage/late help and judicious use of all 24 fouls alotted Turiaf/Mbenga/Gasol/Odom against Duncan.  The single coverage on Duncan will of course keep the offensive talents of Bowen/Udoka/Barry/Horry/Finley at bay.  Duncan might go for 40 points but Spurs not name Duncan will be hard pressed to put up the 55-60 points needed to stay with LA's scoring.  In other words, think 2002.

The Spurs won't be helpless of course.  A concerted and repititious effort on the part of Ginobili and Parker to collapse the defense by penetrating (no matter the fatigue or physicality) may lead to kick-outs for open threes to Spur shooters.  A good shooting night by those Spurs may spell doom for the Lakers.  And since we're talking about the Spurs, one can't forget to mention the pick-and-roll.  They'll run Parker-Duncan, Parker-Fabs, Ginobili-Duncan, and Ginobili-Fabs repeatedly and it will be up to the Lakers to be concious of the spacing involved.  Outside of 18 feet, soft trap Parker, recover on Duncan.  Inside of 18 feet, switch and rotate hard.  Ginobili poses more problems because he can actually shoot and is a more clever passer, on the outside you'll have to hard trap him and recover on Duncan hoping Ginobili doesn't make the right decision or pack it in thereby daring him to shoot, if the shots are falling, it'll be a long night for the Lakers.  On the inside, as with Parker, switch and start to rotate (this will mostly be Gasol's job and Turiaf's in the second unit).  

At the end of the day the Spurs will need fantastic shooting and consistent, unyielding offensive attacks to the basket to have a chance to pull out a victory (especially one of the 1st two in LA).  LA on the other hand can non-chalantly run their offense and rely on their athleticism/youth to get the Spurs in to the penalty early in quarters and ride their closer's back in crunch time.  Should LA get both home games, the series is over as Phil has never lost a series being up 2-0.  I think they will.  At that point its a matter of who wins the 3rd game which will be extremely close in crunch time and is really up for grabs.  If LA doesn't win both games at home, it'll be a series.  Mostly because with teams like LA, confidence plays just as big a role as effort.                
"But guys like us, we don't pay attention to the polls. We know that polls are just a collection of statistics that reflect what people are thinking in 'reality'. And reality has a well-known liberal bias."

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2008, 05:11:13 PM »
On paper this should be a really good series.  The Spurs have their Big 3 (Parker, Ginobili, Duncan) and solid core of role players, the Lakers have their Big 3 (Kobe, Odom, Gasol) and a solid core of role players.  The Spurs have a solid, proven, championship-level coach, the Lakers have a solid, proven, championship-level coach.  The Spurs are a WC powerhouse that hang their hat on defense, ditto the Lakers.  By any measure you're looking at a hard fought 7 game, nail-biter of a series that'll go right to the wire before a winner is chosen.  Problem is I just don't see it playing out that way.

The Lakers are pretty much an unstoppable offensive force.  They'll post Gasol where he can score, pass, or swing.  They'll have Lamar Odom on the high post where he'll go right around KT or Fab, or setup the offense, unless they have the likes of Finley/Udoka on him in which case Odom will post.  Ditto Walton for a few plays should he find an undersized Spur on him--Barry, Vaughn, Parker, etc.  Any double teams on Gasol/Odom will have Vujacic, Radman, Fisher (who will stab you in the heart with a knife), Farmar, etc drooling.  And then there's this x-factor they call Kobe.  Expect Gasol, Odom, and Turiaf to crash the offensive boards hard on nearly every possession.  On defense they'll pack the lane on Parker and Ginobili daring those two to beat them from outside while using single coverage/late help and judicious use of all 24 fouls alotted Turiaf/Mbenga/Gasol/Odom against Duncan.  The single coverage on Duncan will of course keep the offensive talents of Bowen/Udoka/Barry/Horry/Finley at bay.  Duncan might go for 40 points but Spurs not name Duncan will be hard pressed to put up the 55-60 points needed to stay with LA's scoring.  In other words, think 2002.

The Spurs won't be helpless of course.  A concerted and repititious effort on the part of Ginobili and Parker to collapse the defense by penetrating (no matter the fatigue or physicality) may lead to kick-outs for open threes to Spur shooters.  A good shooting night by those Spurs may spell doom for the Lakers.  And since we're talking about the Spurs, one can't forget to mention the pick-and-roll.  They'll run Parker-Duncan, Parker-Fabs, Ginobili-Duncan, and Ginobili-Fabs repeatedly and it will be up to the Lakers to be concious of the spacing involved.  Outside of 18 feet, soft trap Parker, recover on Duncan.  Inside of 18 feet, switch and rotate hard.  Ginobili poses more problems because he can actually shoot and is a more clever passer, on the outside you'll have to hard trap him and recover on Duncan hoping Ginobili doesn't make the right decision or pack it in thereby daring him to shoot, if the shots are falling, it'll be a long night for the Lakers.  On the inside, as with Parker, switch and start to rotate (this will mostly be Gasol's job and Turiaf's in the second unit).  

At the end of the day the Spurs will need fantastic shooting and consistent, unyielding offensive attacks to the basket to have a chance to pull out a victory (especially one of the 1st two in LA).  LA on the other hand can non-chalantly run their offense and rely on their athleticism/youth to get the Spurs in to the penalty early in quarters and ride their closer's back in crunch time.  Should LA get both home games, the series is over as Phil has never lost a series being up 2-0.  I think they will.  At that point its a matter of who wins the 3rd game which will be extremely close in crunch time and is really up for grabs.  If LA doesn't win both games at home, it'll be a series.  Mostly because with teams like LA, confidence plays just as big a role as effort.                

If you hear a knock at your door, It's AARP coming to hunt you down!

>:( >:( >:( >:(

On the set of Walker Texas Ranger Chuck Norris brought a dying lamb back to life by nuzzling it with his beard. As the onlookers gathered, the lamb sprang to life. Chuck Norris then roundhouse kicked it, killing it instantly. The lesson? The good Chuck giveth, and the good Chuck, he taketh away.

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2008, 05:36:19 PM »
The Spurs have the edge because of their rebounding.  Unless Bynum magically appears the Lakers will not get past the Spurs.

Thus far no team has been able to stop LA for long, but Utah did win a few games, showing that the Lakers are vulnerable in spite of their offense.

As I see it, the big problem for the Lakers is that they won't get many extra looks at the basket.  If a shot goes up and they miss, they are back on defense against a team that's a bit faster than they are.  The Lakers can't guard Parker, Duncan or Manu, and it looks like Horry and Finley still have enough to be effective in spots.

The Lakers will be pressured more than they are used to because scoring will be harder against the Spurs superior defense, and at the same time will be defending against a team with as many weapons.

Kobe is the best in the game, and on his own will manage to win more that a game, so the series could actually go 7, but I expect the Spurs in 6 with a victory in LA in the first two there.  If that doesn't happen, then my theories are wrong and LA is even better than I think they are.

In either case, however, I think it important to point out that the Celtics continue to play and their stumbles are only helping them to become better.  I expect them to also beat the Pistons and come out of the East. 

Philly gave Detroit's front line trouble with Sam Dalembert and Reggie Evans.  Two offensively challenged players.  The Celtics are coming at them with Kendrik Perkins, Kevin Garnett and Paul Pierce.  That will be too much for McDyess, Wallace and Prince. Billups and Hamilton won't be able to make up the difference.

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2008, 05:40:14 PM »
The Spurs have the edge because of their rebounding.  Unless Bynum magically appears the Lakers will not get past the Spurs.

Thus far no team has been able to stop LA for long, but Utah did win a few games, showing that the Lakers are vulnerable in spite of their offense.

As I see it, the big problem for the Lakers is that they won't get many extra looks at the basket.  If a shot goes up and they miss, they are back on defense against a team that's a bit faster than they are.  The Lakers can't guard Parker, Duncan or Manu, and it looks like Horry and Finley still have enough to be effective in spots.

The Lakers will be pressured more than they are used to because scoring will be harder against the Spurs superior defense, and at the same time will be defending against a team with as many weapons.

Kobe is the best in the game, and on his own will manage to win more that a game, so the series could actually go 7, but I expect the Spurs in 6 with a victory in LA in the first two there.  If that doesn't happen, then my theories are wrong and LA is even better than I think they are.

In either case, however, I think it important to point out that the Celtics continue to play and their stumbles are only helping them to become better.  I expect them to also beat the Pistons and come out of the East. 

Philly gave Detroit's front line trouble with Sam Dalembert and Reggie Evans.  Two offensively challenged players.  The Celtics are coming at them with Kendrik Perkins, Kevin Garnett and Paul Pierce.  That will be too much for McDyess, Wallace and Prince. Billups and Hamilton won't be able to make up the difference.

So the Spurs have superior defense in this post, but that's NOT the reason we won the last series.... ???
On the set of Walker Texas Ranger Chuck Norris brought a dying lamb back to life by nuzzling it with his beard. As the onlookers gathered, the lamb sprang to life. Chuck Norris then roundhouse kicked it, killing it instantly. The lesson? The good Chuck giveth, and the good Chuck, he taketh away.

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2008, 05:43:52 PM »

The only player on this squad faster then a Laker is Tony Parker.  Gnob, Duncan, Finley, Horry, Thomas,  Barry, Bowen, etc are not faster then Kobe Bryant, Lamar Odom, Jordan Farmar,  Pau Gasol, etc.
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline Skandery

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2008, 05:46:46 PM »
then my theories are wrong and LA is even better than I think they are.

Bingo!
"But guys like us, we don't pay attention to the polls. We know that polls are just a collection of statistics that reflect what people are thinking in 'reality'. And reality has a well-known liberal bias."

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2008, 05:50:14 PM »

So the Spurs have superior defense in this post, but that's NOT the reason we won the last series.... ???

Exactly.  Just how many times DID Tyson Chandler get behind the Spurs front line for a dunk?

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: May 20, 2008, 05:52:21 PM »
then my theories are wrong and LA is even better than I think they are.

Bingo!

Twerp, use the whole quote!

You can appologize after the Spurs take one of the games in LA.

Offline Skandery

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: May 20, 2008, 06:00:23 PM »
You can appologize after the Spurs take one of the games in LA.

You didn't apologize after LA SWEPT the Nuggets.  Or when your Western Conference Champion Suns went down in flames to the Spurs.  Or when Detroit beat Philly.  In fact I can't think of any poster on this board who has been MORE wrong about the playoffs.  So I'll wait my turn, Reeko Suave. 

Offline msc

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: May 20, 2008, 06:19:46 PM »

Rick, you just made my day!   I was worried about the Lakers chances, but you picking the Spurs just insured the Lakers will advance.  Thank you!!   :D

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: May 20, 2008, 09:16:12 PM »

Rick, you just made my day!   I was worried about the Lakers chances, but you picking the Spurs just insured the Lakers will advance.  Thank you!!   :D

God this is worse than that time Reality barnacled himself to our bandwagon... :-\ :-\ :-\

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: May 20, 2008, 10:24:58 PM »
I'm on the Celtics bandwagon now.  For a Sixer fan that's really a terrible thing to say, but I think they are the team to beat this season.

This year my selections HAVE been very bad. Mostly because the Suns let me down, I picked the Sixers to get farther than they deserved, and thought Washington would do better then they did against Cleveland.

Still I picked Boston to be in the finals.

Seriously, who has a better starting front court than Boston?

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: May 21, 2008, 12:27:00 AM »
On assignment here in LA and having a field day with the local and populous Krishas.  ;) :D :D  If you hear of a hotel room being blown up by a radical faction of Islamic-Lakerdom, I may have died in the blast.  But since all Lakerites all are peaceful, right? it would only be some renegade Osama bin types.  Skandery don't be giving any of the Laker Fans any ideas on incindiary (sp) devices.

I think Azira is somewhat of a key for LA.  But LA has been known to lie about their injuries (Bynum will be back for the playoffs, blah blah blah).  However Azira was seen practicing and dunking today, whether or not that means he is able to chase SuperManu, well we shall see.

Colonel Sanders will own Popavich at least one game so figuring that in.....
Manu will not have another 3 bad games due to his broken ankle so...Tim would be happy to pass on the games his shooting is off but Pop-A-Cement will overdue 4Dumb and force Tim to keep shooting...Findawg is gonna continue his stellar play at least two games.....Parker has arrived including in cruch time, admit it.....Kobester will be a force and will continue to lead the playoffs in FTAs by far.....

Spurs 4-3.

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: May 21, 2008, 07:44:41 AM »
So defense wins championships but the Lakers will win by a superior offense.  Great logic Skander.

Bottom line:  this series is a tossup.
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 21, 2008, 09:58:40 AM »

YES!  Ricko picks the Spurs!!!!!!!!!
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"