Author Topic: Horry ranks Pop ahead of Jackson  (Read 5744 times)

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Horry ranks Pop ahead of Jackson
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2008, 03:53:26 PM »
I do not think Pop is as good as PJ nor do I think he would have had as much success with the same talent.  The Shaq/Kobe Lakers were able to take on all commers durring their 3-peat run.  First the Blazers, then the Spurs and finally the Kings.  Pop has not been able to win back to back titles and dominate the league the way PJ's teams have done.

IMO Pop would not have been able to handle the "drama" of Shaq/Kobe.  Not because he was not capable but because Shaq/Kobe would have been the ones to bail on him.  Just look at Shaq and Riley, Riley tends to "demand" of players the way Pop does and Shaq did not last long.  Kobe would have hated Sloan's system and played outside it to the extend it would have caused the system to collapse and Kobe to be traded.

Pop tends to work well with "soldiers" while PJ thrives with "artists". 

But would PJ have had the same success with "soldiers" instead of "artists"?  To say Pop is less than PJ based on assessing Pop's handling of the Shaq/Kobe Lakers without addressing PJ's success with the Duncan-led Spurs is only looking at the question from one side.

Also what makes you (meaning all posters in this thread - not just WOW) think Pop couldn't handle the drama?

My comment wasn't along the lines of he couldn't handle it.   He's a tough guy so don't take it as me trying to paint him as cowering in the corner of the locker room while they had a pissing contest.   It was more along the lines of he seems like a no-bs type of guy and would have sent one of them packing real quick.  He could have handled it but probably wouldn't have wanted to IMO.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2008, 03:56:02 PM by westkoast »
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline Randy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2008, 04:02:24 PM »
I don't agree with Pop being the same as Riles -- a ton of players can't stand Riles after they depart from Miami -- you just don't find that with Pop.  Pop respects his players and they return that respect.

As for drama, I don't think Pop would put up with the drama.  The closest thing Pop has had to drama was Manu's brain farts on the court and the snafu with Kidd/Parker several years ago.  Before that, when a player exhibits an attitude Pop doesn't like, it's change or hit the highway (see Dennis Rodman, etc.).  Pop wouldn't have changed Shaq -- so Shaq would have hit the road.  That's my opinion.  I actually think that Pop would have been GOOD for a young Kobe -- he would have taught him some focus and helped him channel his attitude rather than the way PJ has done -- let him work through it himself.

I think they have different skill sets but I think each have shown what they have done -- and both have to be respected for their accomplishments.

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2008, 04:11:07 PM »
But would PJ have had the same success with "soldiers" instead of "artists"?  To say Pop is less than PJ based on assessing Pop's handling of the Shaq/Kobe Lakers without addressing PJ's success with the Duncan-led Spurs is only looking at the question from one side.

Also what makes you (meaning all posters in this thread - not just WOW) think Pop couldn't handle the drama?

That argument could go either way, just my opinion.  What about Pop not being able to repeat despite having the best squad in the league?
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline Skandery

• MSN Messenger - skandery27@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2008, 04:25:46 PM »

<ahem> what gives?

"But guys like us, we don't pay attention to the polls. We know that polls are just a collection of statistics that reflect what people are thinking in 'reality'. And reality has a well-known liberal bias."

Offline Laker Fan

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2008, 04:26:25 PM »

Because Phil HAD a team of soldiers, and he won 6 titles with them. The Bulls were nothing if not soldiers under his system with Jordan acting as general. His (IMO waaay overrated) "zen" nonsense was really his skill at managing a couple of egotistical spoiled brats, make no mistake, he was/is very talented there but that is where he is limited as a coach, that's really all he does well, his mega talented staff handle all the heavy lifting.

Pop would not have tolerated the dram of LA, he is far too disciplined, and Kobe and Shaq bucking his authority would have led to the early breakup of the team. That is not Pop's fault, that is lamentable atmosphere of today's NBA, overpaid prima donna's thinking they are bigger than the sport that enable that selfish self-centered attitutde, by it's nature it feeds on itself and old school coaches like Pop I do not believe would have handled the mother of all drama that was LA's Lakers back then, again, not his fault, andI think it is a shame it has come to that.
Dan

Offline Ted

• AOL Instant Messenger - Rustedhart
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - ruteha
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2008, 05:07:00 PM »
I do not think Pop is as good as PJ nor do I think he would have had as much success with the same talent.  The Shaq/Kobe Lakers were able to take on all commers durring their 3-peat run.  First the Blazers, then the Spurs and finally the Kings.  Pop has not been able to win back to back titles and dominate the league the way PJ's teams have done.

IMO Pop would not have been able to handle the "drama" of Shaq/Kobe.  Not because he was not capable but because Shaq/Kobe would have been the ones to bail on him.  Just look at Shaq and Riley, Riley tends to "demand" of players the way Pop does and Shaq did not last long.  Kobe would have hated Sloan's system and played outside it to the extend it would have caused the system to collapse and Kobe to be traded.

But wait a minute! Didn't Shaq say Pat Riley was the best coach in the NBA or something like that?
"You take him Perk!" ~Kevin Garnett

"I think the responsibility the Democrats have may rest more in resisting any efforts by Republicans in the Congress or by me when I was President to put some standards in and tighten up a little bit on Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac." ~Bill Clinton

Offline Laker Fan

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 13, 2008, 05:34:24 PM »

But wait a minute! Didn't Shaq say Pat Riley was the best coach in the NBA or something like that?

Only until his gruntle got all dissed and then he did what he always does, backstab. Shaq is no barometer of whether a coach is good or bad
Dan

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: May 14, 2008, 10:18:23 AM »

<ahem> what gives?

I was trying to make sure that WOW didn't think it was directed only at him.
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 14, 2008, 10:21:31 AM »

<ahem> what gives?

I thought this board was all about ME!  What gives?
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: May 14, 2008, 10:32:52 AM »

<ahem> what gives?

Piolin in the morning is obviously ruining your brain, we've all moved on from you because of it.

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 14, 2008, 10:44:03 AM »

<ahem> what gives?

Piolin in the morning is obviously ruining your brain, we've all moved on from you because of it.

Stick to playing with JolDMal kid before I slap you down like a pop-up ad beeyotch!
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: May 14, 2008, 11:20:53 AM »

<ahem> what gives?

Stick to playing with JolDMal kid before I slap you down like a pop-up ad beeyotch!

I did not realize you hold Piolin so close to your heart lol

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 14, 2008, 11:26:47 AM »

Could you please but more effort into your posts?  No fun firing any bullets at an opponent who is throwing nerf balls around thinking he is "representing".  This is the playoffs weakoast, step up your game.
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: May 14, 2008, 11:51:40 AM »

Could you please but more effort into your posts?  No fun firing any bullets at an opponent who is throwing nerf balls around thinking he is "representing".  This is the playoffs weakoast, step up your game.

Why step my effort up for the entire board when only two people on here even have any idea why Piolin was brought up.

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 14, 2008, 02:33:34 PM »

Why step my effort up for the entire board when only two people on here even have any idea why Piolin was brought up.

I guess I'm not one of the two then because I'm not sure what the Piolin reference is other than he is a morning DJ on spanish radio.
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"