Author Topic: All defensive teams named  (Read 7246 times)

Offline Skandery

• MSN Messenger - skandery27@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: All defensive teams named
« Reply #30 on: May 14, 2008, 10:06:08 AM »
He had a 12 and 16 rebound game against the lakers in the same week.

. . . and a 26 rebound game against LA, the Clippers that is.  The Gorilla pretty much made a habit of destroying LA teams this year. 
"But guys like us, we don't pay attention to the polls. We know that polls are just a collection of statistics that reflect what people are thinking in 'reality'. And reality has a well-known liberal bias."

Offline Randy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: May 14, 2008, 10:29:58 AM »
Ziggy, I stand corrected -- I remembered the 14 rebound game but I don't remember the 12 rebound game.  It seemed that we had much more problem with the defense of Roy, Outlaw and Aldridge than Przybilla.  As I have said, I haven't had the opportunity to watch them but about four games and it seems that the Lakers had far more problems with the other guys mentioned. 

I still question why the guy can't seem to get more than 24 minutes a game if he is such a great defender.  Look at the defensive stoppers around the league and they get starters minutes.

Joe, I agree with you about Mutombo but how can you put a guy on 1st team defense when he doesn't even break 20 minutes a game?  Is 24 minutes a game worthy of placement on an all-defensived team?

I agree that the PG defense is improving -- I think that Deron Williams is a better defensive player than CP3 but I think there is a list of players who are serviceable -- and I think Vaughn and Miller belong on that list rather than one that includes Duhon and Hinrich.

Offline ziggy

• Yahoo Instant Messenger - ziggythebeagle
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: May 14, 2008, 11:50:09 AM »
Ziggy, I stand corrected -- I remembered the 14 rebound game but I don't remember the 12 rebound game.  It seemed that we had much more problem with the defense of Roy, Outlaw and Aldridge than Przybilla.  As I have said, I haven't had the opportunity to watch them but about four games and it seems that the Lakers had far more problems with the other guys mentioned. 

I still question why the guy can't seem to get more than 24 minutes a game if he is such a great defender.  Look at the defensive stoppers around the league and they get starters minutes.

Joe, I agree with you about Mutombo but how can you put a guy on 1st team defense when he doesn't even break 20 minutes a game?  Is 24 minutes a game worthy of placement on an all-defensived team?

I agree that the PG defense is improving -- I think that Deron Williams is a better defensive player than CP3 but I think there is a list of players who are serviceable -- and I think Vaughn and Miller belong on that list rather than one that includes Duhon and Hinrich.

It is simple why his minutes are limited.  First he has the tendency to get into early foul trouble.  Beyond that though the reason he doesn't play more minutes is because he is one of the least talented offensive players in the league.  In a word offensively he is abysmal.  He is great at setting picks, is happy not getting touches, and he made HUGE strides at the FT line.  That said he took 3.7 shots per 24 minutes, and 91% would be described as inside.  In other words once every 3 games he took a shot outside 10 feet, and his effective FG% on those shots was about 9.5%.  For someone who seldom gets touches on offense, he turns the ball over at a very high rate.

82games.com has some interesting stats, and here are some stats for Joel, and some of the other better defensive big man

Rebound rating
Dwight Howard  38.0
Joel Przybilla 37.4
Marcus Camby  35.7
Andrew Bynum  34.3
Sam Dalembert  33.4
Ben Wallace  28.1
Ronnie Turiaf  20.7

Block rating
Camby  14.5
Turiaf  11.2
Dalembert  10.9
Przybilla 9.6
Bynum  9.6
Wallace 9.2
Howard  7.9

Ball Handling/Turnover rate (the higher the better)
Camby 19.4
Turiaf  12.8
Bynum 10.2
Wallace 8.5
Howard 5.0
Dalembert 3.3
Przybilla  2.2

Passing stats (a PG is in the 20-30 range)
Camby  7.4
Turiaf  4.7
Bynum  4.0
Howard 1.6
Wallace 1.5
Przybilla 0.2
Dalembert  -0.2

Offensive Fouls Drawn
Przybilla 47
Camby 33
Wallace 32
Turiaf  18
Dalembert  13
Howard 8
Bynum 1

So in short I would describe Joel as a better defender, and worse offensive player than Sam Dalembert.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2008, 01:33:49 PM by ziggy »
A third-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the majority. A second-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the minority. A first-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking.

A quotation is a handy thing to have about, saving one the trouble of thinking for oneself.

AA Mil

Offline Randy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: May 14, 2008, 12:32:04 PM »

It is simple why his minutes are limited.  First he has the tendency to get into early foul trouble.  Beyond that though the reason he doesn't play more minutes is because he is one of the least talented offensive players in the league.  In a word offensively he is abysmal.  He is great at setting picks, is happy not getting touches, and he made HUGE strides at the FT line.  That said he took 3.7 shots per 24 minutes, and 91% would be described as inside.  In other words once every 3 games he took a shot outside 10 feet, and his effective FG% on those shots was about 9.5%.  For someone who seldom gets touches on offense, he turns the ball over at a very high rate.

82games.com has some interesting stats, and here are some stats for Joel, and some of the other better defensive big man

Rebound rating
Dwight Howard  38.0
Joel Przybilla 37.4
Marcus Camby  35.7
Andrew Bynum  34.3
Sam Dalembert  33.4
Ben Wallace  28.1

Block rating
Camby  14.5
Dalembert  10.9
Przybilla 9.6
Bynum  9.6
Wallace 9.2
Howard  7.9

Ball Handling/Turnover rate (the higher the better)
Camby 19.4
Bynum 10.2
Wallace 8.5
Howard 5.0
Dalembert 3.3
Przybilla  2.2

Passing stats (a PG is in the 20-30 range)
Camby  7.4
Bynum  4.0
Howard 1.6
Wallace 1.5
Przybilla 0.2
Dalembert  -0.2

Offensive Fouls Drawn
Przybilla 47
Camby 33
Wallace 32
Dalembert  13
Howard 8
Bynum 1

So in short I would describe Joel as a better defender, and worse offensive player than Sam Dalembert.

Interesting stats -- however, couldn't one make the assumption that it's easier to gain higher stats when you see fewer minutes on the court?  Turiaf's numbers look pretty good, for example, when you see what he accomplishes on the court in limited minutes.  Przybilla has him beat in rebounding and taking a charge (Joel's numbers in both of those areas are off the chart) but Turiaf has him beat by a good bit on shotblocking.  I think Turiaf is a great role player and excellent off the bench -- he doesn't fare well as a starter though. 

I haven't seen Przybilla enough to make a determination -- I do remember that it was the passing lane defense and stripping the ball which killed the Lakers against the Blazers.  I don't really remember Przybilla standing out in those games on defense. 

Offline ziggy

• Yahoo Instant Messenger - ziggythebeagle
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: May 14, 2008, 01:42:32 PM »
Interesting stats -- however, couldn't one make the assumption that it's easier to gain higher stats when you see fewer minutes on the court?  Turiaf's numbers look pretty good, for example, when you see what he accomplishes on the court in limited minutes.  Przybilla has him beat in rebounding and taking a charge (Joel's numbers in both of those areas are off the chart) but Turiaf has him beat by a good bit on shotblocking.  I think Turiaf is a great role player and excellent off the bench -- he doesn't fare well as a starter though. 

I haven't seen Przybilla enough to make a determination -- I do remember that it was the passing lane defense and stripping the ball which killed the Lakers against the Blazers.  I don't really remember Przybilla standing out in those games on defense. 

Randy, I went back and included Turiaf into the earlier post.  As I understand it the stats adjusted to an equal number of minutes, so the fact that Turiaf doesn't get a lot of minutes is figured into the equation.  And of course, like many others said in the Most Improved Players thread, minutes against the second units don't carry as much weight as minutes against the starting units.

As far as Joel's blocks, he has averaged 3.2 to 3.4 blocks per 36 minutes (or 4.3 to 4.5 per 48 minutes) in every year, but 07-08.  His blocks dropped dramatically last year to 1.8 per 36 minutes.  Why?  Because we traded away Zach Randolph, and played LaMarcus Aldridge, and Travis Outlaw at the PF a great deal more.  In other words Joel was defending the C and PF when Zach was there, because Zach wasn't guarding anyone, and this year, he focused only on guarding one player because the PF actually played defense.
A third-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the majority. A second-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the minority. A first-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking.

A quotation is a handy thing to have about, saving one the trouble of thinking for oneself.

AA Mil