Author Topic: Bob Horry, Hall of Famer  (Read 8059 times)

Offline Randy

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Bob Horry, Hall of Famer
« Reply #45 on: May 06, 2008, 01:16:36 PM »
Skander -- the problem that I guess I have with rewarding Horry is that there is something to say about him getting the opportunity to play on some pretty unique teams.  He definately was a major player in Houston -- he was a great role player in LA on a team that had two of the best players in the league and one of the best coaches (I'm saying that to say that they were contenders without Horry) -- then he went to the Spurs who had already won a championship. 

I'm not trying to take anything away from Horry but some of the role players that you have mentioned, didn't always have the opportunity to play for a contender.  Mario Ellie comes to mind -- he was a great role player for Houston -- then the same in San Antonio.  Was his role less than what Horry has done?  Or did he simply only have the opportunity to play for those two teams when they were contenders?  Horace Grant is another player that comes to mind -- vital in the championship runs of Chicago -- then fought for Orlando only to be beaten in the NBA Championship -- then on to Seattle and then to the Lakers and played a vital part in another championship run.  Horry has had a great run and has been an awesome role player -- but I'm not sure he is above those other players -- I think he has just had the opportunities some of them did not.

I know the Hall of Fame has many NBA players.  It also has many people in it who NEVER PLAYED A GAME IN THE NBA...which is what you want to ignore.  The criteria for the Hall is not "what was their NBA career?" but "what have they contributed to the sport of basketball?". 

I'm not deriding people who were inducted into the Basketball Hall of Fame for other reasons than the NBA -- just those who got into it because of their play in the NBA.  And there are some players who are in the Basketball Hall of Fame who got into it that I don't think should have.  And it didn't have anything to do with their work in college or broadcasting or anything else.

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Bob Horry, Hall of Famer
« Reply #46 on: May 06, 2008, 02:06:12 PM »
Skander -- the problem that I guess I have with rewarding Horry is that there is something to say about him getting the opportunity to play on some pretty unique teams.  He definately was a major player in Houston -- he was a great role player in LA on a team that had two of the best players in the league and one of the best coaches (I'm saying that to say that they were contenders without Horry) -- then he went to the Spurs who had already won a championship. 

Sure they were contenders but would they have been as successful with out Horry?  I think the big shots he hit, especially against the Kings, would make me disagree with that. 

I'm not trying to take anything away from Horry but some of the role players that you have mentioned, didn't always have the opportunity to play for a contender.  Mario Ellie comes to mind -- he was a great role player for Houston -- then the same in San Antonio.  Was his role less than what Horry has done?  Or did he simply only have the opportunity to play for those two teams when they were contenders?  Horace Grant is another player that comes to mind -- vital in the championship runs of Chicago -- then fought for Orlando only to be beaten in the NBA Championship -- then on to Seattle and then to the Lakers and played a vital part in another championship run.  Horry has had a great run and has been an awesome role player -- but I'm not sure he is above those other players -- I think he has just had the opportunities some of them did not.

How long do you hold that against him though?  Sure that applies to John Salley who won multiple championships with multiple teams but he wasn't always a contributor.  Horry did have the benefit of playing along the three greatest big men of all time and one of the greatest perimeter players of all time....but that brings me to a different point

While Houston and LA had great players they were not a great team before he got there.  He helped make them a great team with his contributions.  The Lakers did nothing before Horry got there.  Not saying he was the main factor but he was an important piece to the puzzle.  Ditto for Houston.  They had great players but were not a great team.  He plugged holes for all the squads he has been on.  He did all the small things that Hakeem, Shaq, Kobe, and Duncan could not focus on.  At some point in time you have to give him credit for finding his role quickly and performing out the gate.  He is successful everywhere that he has gone and that has to be more then just 'luck' IMO.

Excellent points all around though.  Ted and Skander specifically.
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com