Author Topic: Sixers get ZERO respect.  (Read 6023 times)

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
Sixers get ZERO respect.
« on: April 23, 2008, 12:00:04 AM »
Anybody hear the comments from Billups?  Seems like the Pistons are giving the Sixers no respect, Billups said game 2 is not a must win.  Sounds like they feel they can beat the Sixers any time they feel like it.  They probably thought the same thing about the Cavs last year.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Sixers get ZERO respect.
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2008, 12:21:55 AM »
Billups seems to have really gotten a big head ever since the 2004 Champ and 2005 Finals appearance 7 games (very good "2nd" place).

I watched some blurbs on him during the Olympic selections and he thinks he's a top tier dude, right up there with Lebron etc.

Offline msc

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2008, 02:18:38 PM »
I saw Billups say that too.  What an idiot.  Even if it's true, or he believes it to be true, why would you give your opponent additional bulletin board material?  Especially a scrappy, hungry team like the 76ers who've beat them a bunch in their last several match ups.  He does have a big head, literally and figuratively.  Seriously, that thing is huge! 

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2008, 05:53:18 PM »
It doesn't matter what Billups or anyone else says. It's not like the Sixers can play any harder than they will tonight.

Visiting teams come in hoping for a split, but if they win game one, then they really want to win game two!

Even though going down 0-2 isn't the end, Detroit would become odds on favorites to lose the series.  Both teams have ample motivation to win tonight, Detroit to stay in it, for Phila. a chance to go up 2-0 and look forward to the chance to close out Detroit on their home floor.

Neither team had a particularly good game in game one.  Detroit missed a lot of open shots, and so did Phila. I didn't think the Sixers defense was strong, simply that Detroit's players can't create their own shots with the exception of Wallace and Price.  Since the Sixers aren't double-teaming, Billups and Hamilton aren't getting open looks and that appears to be enough to hurt the Pistons ability to score enough points.

Billups isn't better than Andre Igoudala.  He's not even better than Andre Miller.  The Sixers guards with Miller and Green give the Sixers a better backcourt.  Igoudala is better than Prince.  Between Young and Evans they are better than McDyess and Maxiel. Only Wallace has an edge over Dalembert, but he plays outside and the Sixers will not double him no matter how many points he scores.

I expect Lou Williams, Rodney Carney or Jason Smith to really step up tonight and put the Sixers over the top, one of them gets it going and Detroit won't have an answer.  Iggy can settle for filling up the stat sheet with assists, if they're going to double him.  Every player except Evans can hit an open shot.  The Sixers can break Detroits confidence with a win tonight.

Then, they won't care if Detroit or anyone respects them or not. All they need to do is win.

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2008, 09:13:27 PM »
It doesn't matter what Billups or anyone else says.

Yup.  You nailed it.

The Sixers guards with Miller and Green give the Sixers a better backcourt

You really can't honestly believe that.  I mean, seriously rick, have you watched even 5 minutes of basketball in the last 5 years outside of Sixers games?

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2008, 09:17:03 AM »
And the hammer has dropped....

I saw Chauncey talking about the game as well.  Yeah, he is pretty cocky.  actually the whole team is pretty cocky for winning just one title in recent history, but I got to give it up to Billups, He can walk the walk at times...atleast until he meets a western conference team again...or a king named James....Hopefully he can walk that walk against the Celtics when they meet up.
On the set of Walker Texas Ranger Chuck Norris brought a dying lamb back to life by nuzzling it with his beard. As the onlookers gathered, the lamb sprang to life. Chuck Norris then roundhouse kicked it, killing it instantly. The lesson? The good Chuck giveth, and the good Chuck, he taketh away.

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2008, 11:40:11 AM »
It doesn't matter what Billups or anyone else says.

Yup.  You nailed it.

The Sixers guards with Miller and Green give the Sixers a better backcourt

You really can't honestly believe that.  I mean, seriously rick, have you watched even 5 minutes of basketball in the last 5 years outside of Sixers games?

In game 1, Willie and Andre combined for 37 pts. 8 assists and 4 boards.  Hamilton and Billups had 27 pts. 8 assists and 7 boards.   I would say that was better.

Of course Wednesday's game was different, the Sixers starters all had trouble hitting their shots. The Pistons did a very good job on Andre Igoudala, and the Sixers need a different game plan to get him going. The Sixers reserves played well, which was encouraging, but they need to adjust to what the Pistons did to them in game 2.

It should be pointed out that the Pistons did nothing spectacular, scoring only 105.  It was simply that the Sixers offense couldn't keep up, shooting under 40%.  The Pistons are doubling the ball handler, and the Sixers need to use that to get open shots.  All it takes is quick passing.  The refs are allowing the Pistons to get away with a lot of physical play, and the Sixers need be more aggressive in response.  They are stronger and younger, they should be able to tire them out.

The Sixers had real problems boxing out. The Pistons couldn't shoot either, but they didn't need to, since they got 3 and 4 shots out of each trip down the floor. Cheeks may want to experiment with using Smith and Dalembert together to try and get control over the paint. They need Young to be able to stay on Prince and force one of Detroits guards to be Igoudala's primary defender.  It is important for the Sixers to try to find ways to get a better handle on Hamilton, they can't allow him to run around for those stop and pops without someone stealing the ball from him or blocking the shot. Sixers are usually good at switching, Detroit is pulling Dalembert out of the middle, which the Sixers should not allow.

Offline Randy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2008, 11:56:33 AM »
Just a couple of interesting notes, Rick.

1) You credit the Sixers defense for the win in game 1 but fail to credit the Pistons defense for the win in game 2.  You do mention that the Pistons did a good job on Iggy but fail to mention the defense they played as a team keeping the Sixers to 39% fg%. 

It should be pointed out that the Pistons did nothing spectacular, scoring only 105. 
The Pistons couldn't shoot either, but they didn't need to, since they got 3 and 4 shots out of each trip down the floor.

Okay, how many points should the Pistons score to be spectacular?  I thought it was the point spread that showed a more spectacular game rather than just how many points they put on the board.

Also, how well do you think that the Pistons should shoot?  They shot almost 55% from the field -- how much better do you want them to shoot in this series?  You REALLY need to rethink that because if they shoot any better than 55% from the field, they will beat the Sixers by 30 if they start really shooting! 

The Sixers did a great job in the first game but they woke up the Pistons.  They are a young team and have a TON of potential but this year isn't the year.

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2008, 03:40:05 PM »
In game 1, Willie and Andre combined for 37 pts. 8 assists and 4 boards.  Hamilton and Billups had 27 pts. 8 assists and 7 boards.   I would say that was better.

They were better THAT GAME.  That's not what you said.  You said they are better.
Miller and Green give the Sixers a better backcourt

Offline Skandery

• MSN Messenger - skandery27@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2008, 03:51:52 PM »
Maybe he meant that they thought their better was better than 'they' better.
"But guys like us, we don't pay attention to the polls. We know that polls are just a collection of statistics that reflect what people are thinking in 'reality'. And reality has a well-known liberal bias."

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2008, 09:27:53 PM »
I misspoke. Willie Green isn't comparable to either Piston starting guard. One could argue that Iguodala should be a guard, and He and Miller would be a better back-court.

In any case, the Sixers ARE the better team, and they STILL aren't getting any respect.  Most of you, if you watched the game, saw it on ESPN, and the color guy wasn't giving the Sixers any credit.  He put it all on Detroit "not being focused enough" and "not playing Piston basketball"  The bottom line is the Sixers forced 23 turnovers and turned them into relatively easy buckets.  When was the last time the Pistons suffered 15 steals! Even when they weren't forcing turnovers, they were pressuring the Detroit shooters into a 40.9% performance.  That is great defense, and this moron keeps saying the Sixers aren't that great a defensive team. No respect whatsover!

But I think the Pistons respect them now, after being thumped, 95-75.

The Sixers now have the edge after winning the pivotal third game, and must defend their home-court on Sunday. Going into Detroit with a 3-1 lead is exactly what I expect.

This game started out with the teams playing even at the beginning of the game, playing at the Pistons pace. The Sixers only had a 4 pt. lead at the half.  But in the third quarter the Sixers really turned up the heat and forced more turnovers and got some easier shots. The Pistons never give a team a chance at a shot, preferring to foul instead, and in those cases the Sixers made their free throws. More importantly they held Detroit to 16 points in the quarter, making them look as pathetic offensively as the Sixers had on Wednesday.

The Sixers 15 point lead at the end of the third eventually got as high as 24 before falling back to 20. The last few minutes Flip put in the reserves and threw in the towel.

So far the Sixers are on track to win this series in 5 or 6 games. Clearly, Phila. was able to adjust to the Pistons single minded determination to stop Andre Igoudala, by letting the others take the open looks Andre created by moving both with and without the ball. One of the prime beneficiaries was Sam Dalembert who got some easy dunks courtesy of Iggy.  Sam had an absolute monster game, 22 points, 16 rebounds, 2 blocks and who knows how many altered shots.

The Pistons picked their poison and lost.  For the past three games, they have stopped Iguodala from putting up his normal numbers.  Now that the Sixers have adjusted, what will the Pistons do?  If they stop focusing on Andre, he will get his points, but if the do, the rest of the Sixers are more than capable of scoring.

The series is far from over, but the choice for how it will evolve depends on what the Pistons try to do differently in game 4.

The real player they need to try and stop is Andre Miller, 21 points on 9-14 from the field, although he only had 3 assists. He continually beat the Pistons players either sinking the shot or getting the foul.  In truth, I thought he should have had about 10 more trips to the free-throw line than he did, he always got those calls in the regular season. 

I don't think the Pistons can stop Andre Miller, they don't have a guard on their squad who can stop him.  As long as he can score his 20 and Sam gets a double-double, the rest of the team is good for enough points to win most nights. Billups has no shot in handling Andre, he is simply better at this point in their careers than Chauncey.

The Sixers didn't shoot all that great themselves, only 45.9% so there is still room for them to play better.   What puts them above the Pistons is their ability to force turnovers and defensive stops. The only way for the Pistons to adjust is to take care of the ball better, but they were clearly trying to, and being unsuccessful. So far, no team has had an answer for the Sixers when they play ball like they did tonight. It will be interesting to see if the Pistons can find a way to play that nullifies their defensive dominance.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2008, 09:35:03 PM by rickortreat »

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2008, 01:31:28 AM »
I still can't say Detroit is done...but who knows, Cleveland got by them last year...maybe there is hope for Philly after all.
On the set of Walker Texas Ranger Chuck Norris brought a dying lamb back to life by nuzzling it with his beard. As the onlookers gathered, the lamb sprang to life. Chuck Norris then roundhouse kicked it, killing it instantly. The lesson? The good Chuck giveth, and the good Chuck, he taketh away.

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2008, 08:34:24 AM »
Big win by your guys, rt.  Congrats out to you to Derek.

I have refrained from commenting for 2 reasons.  First, Rick has been right...maybe a little over the top...but right in the sense that the Sixers were developing into a team.  They were playing as a unit down the stretch of the season.  Once he started commenting (and the Sixers winning) I tried to catch a little more of their games.  Cheeks has them hustling and they are starting to believe.

Also, the Pistons have proven to be a team that thinks it deserves to advance.  Almost like they believe it is their right to be in the ECF.  The past couple post seasons have shown IMO that the Pistons don't have that drive to succeed.  They are a solid team but there isn't that mental toughness needed.

And I think the first 3 games of the series has shown this.  The Pistons took game 1 lightly and were surprised.  IMO bad coaching - teams should never be surprised in game 1 of the first round.  Your opponent shouldn't be trying new things in game 1.  Game 2 showed the focused Pistons.  They are the better team when they bring it.  Game 3 showed the lack of focus...the Pistons are showing that experience isn't a factor when you don't have mental discipline.

The Sixers are on their way to being this year's Warriors...first round surprise; second round out.  They should keep the pressure on the Pistons.  Make Saunders prove he isn't just a regular season coach.

Again, congrats to Bods & rick.
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2008, 10:51:16 AM »
Huge game for the Sixers tonight.  They can put the Pistons deep in a hole with a win, giving them a 3-1 lead heading back to Detroit.  A win would mean sudden death for Detroit from then on, giving the Sixers a huge edge in the series.

The Pistons backs are to the wall now.  They have to find a way to counter the Sixers adjustments to their adjustments.  I am somewhat anxious to see what the Pistons will try to do, and if they can still do that and keep Andre Igoudala contained.  I am not worried about Andre at all, but he must make the Pistons pay more for defending him, by hitting the open man. 20 points or 10 assists, I don't care which!

The key for the Sixers is Andre Miller.  If the Pistons can't stop him, the Sixers will function well enough on offense to keep in contact with Detroit.  If the score is close at the end, the Sixers energy and defensive pressure are too much for the Pistons old legs.

Also, the Pistons are sputtering and in bad need of a tune-up. Billups is misfiring and in the last game so was Rasheed. One of the keys to the Pistons success is that they all can score, and you have to spread your defense thin. But the Sixer defenders are for the most part younger, bigger and stronger and can defend one on one.  They are containing Billups and that in itself should be enough for the Sixers to win.  Prince will get his, but he doesn't score enough.  Even with Hamilton they still can't score enough, without either Wallace or Billups going off.

The Sixers are winning with defense.  That's a very good sign. People will have to respect them with another win tonight.

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2008, 10:49:18 PM »
A tale of two halves.
what happened to Philly in the 3rd qtr?