Author Topic: Better game this weekend...Tim Duncan or Chris Paul?  (Read 2972 times)

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
Better game this weekend...Tim Duncan or Chris Paul?
« on: April 21, 2008, 09:55:59 AM »
Who do you think had the bigger weekend?

Pretty tough to say.  Duncan was a monster but he is a seasoned vet and has a finals MVP under his belt.  Chris Paul never sniffed the playoffs and is posting Magic Johnson/Michael Jordan numbers in his first game.  My vote?  Chris Paul of course.
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Better game this weekend...Tim Duncan or Chris Paul?
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2008, 10:06:52 AM »
Paul was damn impressive.  I think Tim has a tougher game against amare, boris and shaq, I don't know that tim can pull off another monster game against these guys.  Paul may look better in game 2.
On the set of Walker Texas Ranger Chuck Norris brought a dying lamb back to life by nuzzling it with his beard. As the onlookers gathered, the lamb sprang to life. Chuck Norris then roundhouse kicked it, killing it instantly. The lesson? The good Chuck giveth, and the good Chuck, he taketh away.

Offline Ted

• AOL Instant Messenger - Rustedhart
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - ruteha
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2008, 10:11:21 AM »
I hate to say this, but Pau Gasol was pretty bad arse too.
"You take him Perk!" ~Kevin Garnett

"I think the responsibility the Democrats have may rest more in resisting any efforts by Republicans in the Congress or by me when I was President to put some standards in and tighten up a little bit on Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac." ~Bill Clinton

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2008, 10:16:12 AM »
I hate to say this, but Pau Gasol was pretty bad arse too.

The only reason I didn't bring him up was his FG% and points were due to great passing from the Lakers as a whole but  specifically Lamar Odom.  Duncan and Paul literally put the teams on their back.  Pau did well because of his team.

Spursx3 you bring up a good point about the caliber of players Duncan is facing but Jason Kidd is no slouch either!

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2008, 10:19:39 AM »
Very tough call.  I'm leaning towards Timmay but I can't say for sure.  I'd say scoring on Shaq and Amare is tougher than scoring on the Mavs.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2008, 10:22:57 AM »
Did you see how charles and kenny and magic were doggin the mavs for letting Dirk get his face tapped and yet nobody on the team stood up for him...let alone the fact that he didn't even stand up for himself...they have become pretty soft...and then they flashed back to Charles and shaq getting into that fight a few years back.  that was funny.
On the set of Walker Texas Ranger Chuck Norris brought a dying lamb back to life by nuzzling it with his beard. As the onlookers gathered, the lamb sprang to life. Chuck Norris then roundhouse kicked it, killing it instantly. The lesson? The good Chuck giveth, and the good Chuck, he taketh away.

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2008, 10:26:52 AM »
Did you see how charles and kenny and magic were doggin the mavs for letting Dirk get his face tapped and yet nobody on the team stood up for him...let alone the fact that he didn't even stand up for himself...they have become pretty soft...and then they flashed back to Charles and shaq getting into that fight a few years back.  that was funny.

It is a different league now, you would get major suspensions if you played "old school".  IMO West should be suspended for that stupid incident.
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2008, 10:29:32 AM »
I agree, but atleast talk some smack back to the guy, dirk didn't not even do that!!  It was like david robinson being pushed around by shaq until he finally pushed back in 99.  stand up for yourself DORK!!  errr...I mean, DIRK!

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2008, 10:53:02 AM »
I agree, but atleast talk some smack back to the guy, dirk didn't not even do that!!  It was like david robinson being pushed around by shaq until he finally pushed back in 99.  stand up for yourself DORK!!  errr...I mean, DIRK!

I remember KG doing the same thing to TD but nobody called out TD since he went on to win a title.  Dirk just needs to win one.
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline Laker Fan

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2008, 10:59:21 AM »
The difference here was the Dallas/NO game wasn't nearly as tight in the second half as the SA/Phoenix game was. Paul had a great 3rd quarter and his 15 points erased a 12 point lead but he didn'thave a great first half and going into the 4th NO was cruising as Dallas did what they do best, fade down the stretch, they had a miserable shooting 4th quarter to go along with a miserable shooting night in general, props to Paul for his debut but I thought this game was decided midway through the 3rd, NO as a team looked strong and Dallas was beginning their choke job, Paul had 9 in the 4th and NO was spreading the love by that point, Peja had 2 huge 3's in the 4th that just turned the screws on Dallas. Again, great job by a legit MVP contender, but this wasn't exactly all him, it was a good team effort in the 3rd with him leading the way.

SA was in a war from the opening tip, they only trailed by 8 at the half and had to battle a pretty big front line and an impressive effort by Stoudemire who shot 50% and went for 33 points his own self. In this, Duncan showed poise, patience, and an ability to put his team on his back, this despite only taking 3-4 shots in the 2nd, he was nails when it counted against a pretty solid effort by a team that is hands down better than the Dallas team Paul and Co. faced. and in the pressure cooker of 2 overtimes, Duncan and Co. did not wilt, they fought like champions should, with Duncan leading the way.

When Paul turns in a game under pressure like that in the post-season, I will acknowledge it, until then, he is not in Duncan's league, and this is coming from a Laker fan boys and girls, I think I beat MSC for objectivity in this post
Dan

Offline Laker Fan

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2008, 11:06:13 AM »
And uhm, spare me the Kidd/Paul comparison, the days when Kidd could guard someone like Paul are long gone, no way he can stop this kid, Duncan was playing a post game against a large fat immovable object and a very athletic stud in Amare and schooled them both
Dan

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2008, 11:11:31 AM »
When Paul turns in a game under pressure like that in the post-season, I will acknowledge it, until then, he is not in Duncan's league, and this is coming from a Laker fan boys and girls, I think I beat MSC for objectivity in this post 
Excellent.  Your growth potential is oozing.  I've got you fitted for a Spurs jersey should you decide to visit a game.

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2008, 11:13:12 AM »
And uhm, spare me the Kidd/Paul comparison, the days when Kidd could guard someone like Paul are long gone, no way he can stop this kid, Duncan was playing a post game against a large fat immovable object and a very athletic stud in Amare and schooled them both

There was no comparison between the two players directly.  What I am saying is Tim Duncan being guarded by Amare/Shaq is about equal to Jason Kidd guarding Chris Paul.  Since when did Amare and Shaq become better defenders then Jason Kidd this year?

That 'athletic stud' quality doesn't always translate to the defensive end with Amare.  You must have been watching when the Suns played the Wolves instead of the Spurs.

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2008, 11:33:12 AM »
Tim versus KG has always been one of my favorite matchups, but I don't remember seeing Tim get punked much, I usually see them talking smack to each, I dont remember KG getting into Tim's head though.

Offline Laker Fan

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2008, 11:52:55 AM »

There was no comparison between the two players directly.  What I am saying is Tim Duncan being guarded by Amare/Shaq is about equal to Jason Kidd guarding Chris Paul.  Since when did Amare and Shaq become better defenders then Jason Kidd this year?

That 'athletic stud' quality doesn't always translate to the defensive end with Amare.  You must have been watching when the Suns played the Wolves instead of the Spurs.

Amare is the perfect help defender to the immobility of Shaq in the post WK, he had 4 blocks in game 1 to go with Shaq's 2, you can't argue with that stat, Duncan has to work extra hard in this situation because even though he has inches on Amare, he doesn't have to contend with JUST Amare, the slob is in there as well, if for no other reason but to clog the lane and force Duncan to the strong side, that he dropped 40 on them anyway speaks of his ability.

And as far as comparing Kidd to Shaq/Amare, that was never my intention, different positions, different skill sets. Paul is waaaay to fast for Kidd, he can blow by him at will, one on one at this point in his career Kidd cannot guard Paul, end of story, but then Kidd was brought in primarily to run the offense anyway, we know that clown Johnson doesn't take defense seriously, regardless of his soundbites to the contrary. My point is Duncan against 2 as opposed to Paul against 1 and Duncan still came out on top, Phoenix has no defense to speak of but it's better than Dallas and you have 2 big bodies in the post in Phoenix, no matter how bloated, over the hill and lazy Shaq is, the Suns brought him in for EXACTLY this situation, to add a body to counter Duncan and or Gasol and to open up Amare's game, they succeeded in their second goal, Amare is flourishing in the scheme, but Tim Duncan and or Gasol and those Laker shooters can and will overcome the pipe dream that is Shaq's addition to the Suns bringing them rings.
Dan