Author Topic: Why I think the Sixers can beat Detroit.  (Read 1908 times)

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
Why I think the Sixers can beat Detroit.
« on: April 20, 2008, 01:14:02 PM »
No one has given the Sixers a chance in this series. Conventional wisdom says Detroit's experience and being in the EC finals the last 6 years makes them too good to beat a team that didn't even manage a .500 record.

The thing is the Pistons are old.  Those 6 years going to the EC finals have taken their toll and they are not the same team that won in '04. They don't have Ben Wallace and they haven't replaced that player on their team. They don't dominate the boards like they did, and they don't have much of an inside presence.  They beat teams by defending and pressuring and executing well in the half-court.  Every player can shoot when open, and Billups, Hamilton, Rasheed Wallace and Prince can all create their own shot.

The Pistons also create match-up problems, few teams can match their tandem of guards and Prince is very tough for most teams to defend.  The Sixers, however, can match up with their players and do so very competitively.  Hamilton can't handle Andre Miller.  Miller can post him up at will, and can get around him to make his passes.  Billups usually dominates at the other guard spot, but Andre Igoudala is a better player, younger, stronger, faster, and longer and he is also an excellent one-on-one defender.  Thad Young is a 19 yr. old rookie, who has developed into a starter.  He is a tweener, doesn't quite have the handle he needs to be a three, and is a little small to a be a four. He is very quick and athletic, works hard on both ends, and can match Prince stride for stride. He can also score for the Sixers inside and out.

That leaves us with Rasheed Wallace, who is clearly a better player than Dalembert, but is more of an outside player.  He is a decent defender, but he is not as athletic or quick as Sam.  Sam will get his rebounds and blocks and his share of put-backs. McDyess is also better than Evans, but he also spends his time outside.  Evans causes lots of problems - very disruptive on defense, and manages to force a lot of turnovers and get loose balls.

The Pistons have retooled their bench and that has helped them this year, but against the Sixers bench, they haven't done so well.  Again the match-ups appear to be on the Sixers side.  None of the Pistons reserves were effective in their regular season meetings, the Sixer reserves have more experience and athleticism.  Lou Williams is good enough to start for most teams and is as dangerous a scorer as any on the Sixers. The Pistons will have no answer for his speed. Willie Green may be the starter or come off the bench, in either case he is better than the Pistons bench players.  Rodney Carney lit up Detroit this season, he liked going up against the Piston reserves.

In their last two meetings of the season, the Sixers won both games. Regular season meetings mean little in the playoffs, but the Sixers know they can play the Pistons in the half-court and outshoot them. They also know that when they can steal the ball and run, the Pistons can't stop them.  It's simply a matter of the Sixers ability to stay patient in the half-court and break down the Pistons defense, and putting pressure on Billups and Hamilton.

When the Sixers are at their best, they shut other team's down.  They force turnovers and steals, and just wear the other team down.  Detroit isn't the type of team to wilt easily, but they have no individual match-ups where they have a scoring advantage.  Points won't come easily for them against the Sixers; but the Sixers seem to be able to execute and score against them.

The only real concern is momentum, Detroit comes in winning and the Sixers limping in after clinching a spot.  I think the Sixers needed a little time to rest and recharge, and this break between the season and the start is just what they needed.  It's important that the Sixers come out focused and competitive for 48 minutes.  If they do, Detroit will be in trouble this series.

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
Re: Why I think the Sixers can beat Detroit.
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2008, 01:34:57 PM »
Think and wish all you like, the Sixers will win 1 game at best.  If the Sixers win 2 games I would be surprised.

Plain and simple, the Pistons have a better offense and a much more consistent defense.  Sixers have ZERO chance of winning this series.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2008, 01:59:15 PM »
You think the Sixers will win because you're a sixers fan.

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2008, 05:32:21 PM »
   This Detroit squad was a championship squad just a few years ago.  The Sixers are a team that made a good run to end a regular season....Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see them make it a series by upsetting them in this first game.  I just don't see it happening.
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2008, 07:53:28 PM »
The Sixers are the better team at this point.  Younger and much less experienced, they have the talent to beat Detroit. You just don't know it yet, because Thad Young is a 19 yr. old rookie, Lou Williams is a 21 yr. old guard and they haven't had time to make names for themselves until now.

How do you explain them winning in Detroit in a tight game at the end?  They didn't play even close to their best game, but they outscored the Pistons and stopped them from scoring. This was a terrible outcome for the Pistons, who are by no means out of it, but have to be stunned. This is three games in a row the Sixers have beaten the Pistons.

I won't hold it against you if you want to revise your opinion about who wins this series.

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2008, 07:57:33 PM »
They proved me wrong, ill shut up for now  :D

Still don't think they win the series...
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2008, 07:59:53 PM »
I STILL think the Pistons win this series, but I do have a prefer succulant Ohio crow vs the scrawny birds from Philly.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2008, 08:02:18 PM by WayOutWest »
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2008, 08:05:21 PM »
Yo, I'll roast some fat Pigeons for Ya!

BWAH HAH HA!

By the way, this wasn't even close to the Sixers best game.  There were stretches where they were awful with their decision-making.  Cheeks was far too conservative with his coaching, unwilling to play Jason Smith until Dalembert's foul trouble forced him too. Even then, he tried to play small for a while, which cost the Sixers several points on drives and rebounds with no Center to guard the middle!

I also thought Thad Young should have gotten a lot more minutes, and that Lou Williams was allowed to be frozen out on the offense, which should not have happened.  Lou scored 17 points in 17 minutes in a recent game in the fourth quarter, the Sixers should have tried to get him loose.

I can't complain too much, since the Sixers got the win, but they could do better if they changed the line-up.  They insist on putting Igoudala on Prince, instead of putting Thad on him, which is the obvious match-up.  When the game was on the line, Igoudala was on Billups, which is a big reason why the Pistons lost.  That should be the match-up the whole game.

Jason Smith should be getting more like 15 minutes, as good as Evans was tonight, Smith gives them the same energy, and a bigger presence in the middle.  I would have liked to see Dalembert and Smith in at the same time, with Young, Igoudala, and Williams or Miller.

It was no accident that the Sixers won, but they will have to kick it up a notch to win the series.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2008, 08:22:08 PM by rickortreat »

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2008, 08:26:18 PM »
When the game was on the line, Igoudala was on Billups, which is a big reason why the Pistons lost.  That should be the match-up the whole game.

Unless Billiups is having a monster game I think you save Igs on Billiups for your "ace in the hole" game on the line defense like they did today.  Lakers did the same thing with Kobe vs Bibby and the Kings.  I only caught the last 25 seconds of the game :( but the Pistons got no relief from the Sixers.
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline Randy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2008, 08:46:21 AM »
Congrats to Philly on the win but I still don't see them winning this series. 

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2008, 09:17:43 AM »
good win.  Yes, I think Detroit will drop the hammer on the next few games...
On the set of Walker Texas Ranger Chuck Norris brought a dying lamb back to life by nuzzling it with his beard. As the onlookers gathered, the lamb sprang to life. Chuck Norris then roundhouse kicked it, killing it instantly. The lesson? The good Chuck giveth, and the good Chuck, he taketh away.

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2008, 06:49:23 PM »
They win in the opening game and you still don't believe.

You do know how often the team that wins the opening game wins the series, don't you?

Typically the visiting team hopes for a split going in.  All they need is to take one on their opponents home-court to sieze home-court advantage.  Now, the pressure really is on Detroit, even their coach calls the next game a "must-win".  I wonder what he'll say about game 3 if the Pistons lose the next one!

The Sixers now know they can beat the Pistons. They also know they have a lot of room for improvement as the series goes on.   But they also know that in crunch time, they can match and even outplay the Pistons.

Philly doesn't know how Detroit will respond, but that isn't important.  What is, is that they learn from how Detroit defended Igoudala last game, and figure out how to use that to get his teamates open looks.  The Sixers should come out ready to run the Pistons out of their own building and take the crowd out of the game.  Now that they've done it, one win is not enough.

Offline msc

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2008, 07:26:04 PM »
Congrats to the Sixers on a huge win.  I'm not drinking the kool-aid yet, but I'm impressed with how the Sixers have improved their defense and overall play this year.  Big props to Mo Cheeks, he's the main reason I'm happy for the 76ers.  A true class act, gentlemen and obviously a pretty darn good coach on top of it.  Kudos to Andre Miller as well.  After a sub-par first half he took control in the second half and made a number of big plays.  He's turned out to be quite a leader and mentally tough player.

I think the Pistons took the Sixers a little lightly and they paid the price.  They got up by 15 and sort of rested on their laurels.  The 76ers are not afraid of the Pistons, you could see it in their eyes and body language.  I still think that Detroit will prevail in a 7 game series, but the 6ers will give them a run for their money.  If nothing else this will be great experience for the young 76ers and make them that much tougher next season.