Author Topic: Playoff picks. Series  (Read 7619 times)

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Playoff picks. Series
« Reply #30 on: April 18, 2008, 06:11:03 PM »

Don't even read around....read Byron Scott's comments where he is hinting to the fact that this team is not mentally tough enough heading into the playoffs.  I believe his exact quote after the Laker loss on Friday was "That's the difference between a team that knows how to play in the playoffs and one that does not"
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline Randy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: April 18, 2008, 09:08:17 PM »

Don't even read around....read Byron Scott's comments where he is hinting to the fact that this team is not mentally tough enough heading into the playoffs.  I believe his exact quote after the Laker loss on Friday was "That's the difference between a team that knows how to play in the playoffs and one that does not"

This is exactly why most are picking the Mavs to beat the Hornets.  Who on this team has much playoff experience?  Peja has but he certainly isn't the leader to guide them through this.  Paul is their leader and he is so young -- I just think the intensity of the playoffs will be too much for him to lead his team to a win in a series against a very proven playoff team with a huge chip on their shoulder.  I do think it will be a good series though.

Offline Ted

• AOL Instant Messenger - Rustedhart
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - ruteha
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: April 18, 2008, 10:29:17 PM »
Do you think the Jazz can beat the Lakers in a 7 game series?  When 4 of them are in LA?

No I don't. But I can pick it anyway because I hope it happens. It's just a pick.

Besides, the whole WC is in flux. Who's going to show up? The Jazz the pummeled the Spurs and Hornets in successive games, holding both teams below 66 points. Or the team that laid down and died against the Spurs.

Which Laker team will show up? The one who lost to Portland? Memphis? Charlotte? Who knows?

I will say this. The Lakers ended the season much better than the Jazz did. But calling a series that may not even happen based on four games spread over several months is well . . . about as good a pick as Reality's when you break it down all the way.
"You take him Perk!" ~Kevin Garnett

"I think the responsibility the Democrats have may rest more in resisting any efforts by Republicans in the Congress or by me when I was President to put some standards in and tighten up a little bit on Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac." ~Bill Clinton

Offline ziggy

• Yahoo Instant Messenger - ziggythebeagle
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: April 19, 2008, 12:51:13 AM »
Do you think the Jazz can beat the Lakers in a 7 game series?  When 4 of them are in LA?

No I don't. But I can pick it anyway because I hope it happens. It's just a pick.

Besides, the whole WC is in flux. Who's going to show up? The Jazz the pummeled the Spurs and Hornets in successive games, holding both teams below 66 points. Or the team that laid down and died against the Spurs.

Which Laker team will show up? The one who lost to Portland? Memphis? Charlotte? Who knows?

I will say this. The Lakers ended the season much better than the Jazz did. But calling a series that may not even happen based on four games spread over several months is well . . . about as good a pick as Reality's when you break it down all the way.

I guess there is a couple of ways to look at the Jazz, and my earlier posts were meant to be a thought provoker regarding the Jazz.  The Jazz may have been a poor team on the road, but they were incredible at home.  Considering how good the Jazz are at home, one win on the road may be all they need.  It is not like they need to win four games in LA.  All it takes is for the Jazz to win one in LA, and now the Lakers have to beat the best home team in the league on their home court, not an easy task.
I also consider that the Jazz are second best team against the top 10 teams, behind only the Celtics, and have won by an average 4.4 points per game.  That indicates that they are more than capable of beating the Lakers, or any other team in the West.  The main difference between the Jazz and the Lakers is the, Lakers dominated the middle 10 teams, while the Jazz were only good in those games.  In the games against the top 10 the Jazz were clearly better.  Finally the Jazz played the WC finals last year, and even though GS upset Dallas, you don't get to a conference finals without being very good.
A third-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the majority. A second-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the minority. A first-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking.

A quotation is a handy thing to have about, saving one the trouble of thinking for oneself.

AA Mil

Offline Randy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: April 19, 2008, 12:49:22 PM »

I guess there is a couple of ways to look at the Jazz, and my earlier posts were meant to be a thought provoker regarding the Jazz.  The Jazz may have been a poor team on the road, but they were incredible at home.  Considering how good the Jazz are at home, one win on the road may be all they need.  It is not like they need to win four games in LA.  All it takes is for the Jazz to win one in LA, and now the Lakers have to beat the best home team in the league on their home court, not an easy task.
I also consider that the Jazz are second best team against the top 10 teams, behind only the Celtics, and have won by an average 4.4 points per game.  That indicates that they are more than capable of beating the Lakers, or any other team in the West.  The main difference between the Jazz and the Lakers is the, Lakers dominated the middle 10 teams, while the Jazz were only good in those games.  In the games against the top 10 the Jazz were clearly better.  Finally the Jazz played the WC finals last year, and even though GS upset Dallas, you don't get to a conference finals without being very good.

Zig, I think there are a couple of factors that you need to remember with the Lakers vs. the Jazz.  The only loss against a top team in the league since the arrival of Pau Gasol came against NO and Dallas with Gasol out of the game.  Even without Gasol, Bynum, and Ariza, the Lakers went into Utah and beat the Jazz at home.  Since Gasols arrival, when he has been in the line-up, the Lakers have lost 4 games.  In that streak they beat Orlando, Phoenix, Dallas 3x, NO, Utah (at home), and blew out the Spurs (who were without Manu).  Your words would hold a bit more weight if the Lakers hadn't beaten the Jazz at home without Bynum, Gasol and Ariza.

Offline Ted

• AOL Instant Messenger - Rustedhart
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - ruteha
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #35 on: April 20, 2008, 12:51:11 AM »
Quick question for Laker fans.

Did Kobe ever get that last technical foul to get the one-game suspension? It's all cleared out now that the season is over, right?
"You take him Perk!" ~Kevin Garnett

"I think the responsibility the Democrats have may rest more in resisting any efforts by Republicans in the Congress or by me when I was President to put some standards in and tighten up a little bit on Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac." ~Bill Clinton

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 20, 2008, 11:19:39 AM »
Quick question for Laker fans.

Did Kobe ever get that last technical foul to get the one-game suspension? It's all cleared out now that the season is over, right?

He didn't get the last one.  Everybody gets a "reset" to 7 before a suspension.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline ziggy

• Yahoo Instant Messenger - ziggythebeagle
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #37 on: June 17, 2008, 11:29:24 PM »
Final results
First Round and then overall.  Not everybody went past the first round that is why some only have one set of totals

Ziggy  8-0
Spursx3  8-0
Skander  7-1
Lurker  7-1
Reality  7-1
Westkoast  6-2
Randy  6-2
Way Out West  6-2
Laker Fan  6-2
Ted  5-3
Rick  5-3
Atom2030  4-4
Joe V  4-4

Ziggy 13-2
Skander  13-2
Rick  8-7
Joe V  8-7
A third-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the majority. A second-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the minority. A first-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking.

A quotation is a handy thing to have about, saving one the trouble of thinking for oneself.

AA Mil