Author Topic: San Antonio at Lakers  (Read 5535 times)

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: San Antonio at Lakers
« Reply #30 on: April 10, 2008, 04:15:06 PM »
The Spurs have been struggling against the top teams all year.  They have lost only 3 or 4 games to lottery teams but are around .500 vs playoff teams.  At the beginning of the year I attributed a lot of it to Pop's penchant for testing different combos on the floor as well as limiting his starters' minutes.  Right after the trade deadline I thought the same thing as he tried to quickly get Stoudemire and Thomas up to speed by giving them a lot of floor time.  However the losses to Utah & Phoenix are even more worrisome.  The team seems to go on long offensive droughts (obviously Pop doesn't know how to coach the ball into the hoop) and then the defensive energy seems to lag.

But like msc said in the other thread I still believe in my team.  I still think it will be difficult (not impossible) for any team to beat the Spurs 4 times in a series.  But then counting on winning series in the 7th game is not really the way to go either.

The real reason for the loss to the Suns is that Pop didn't want the #2 seed and to face the Mavs in round 1.  It is difficult but the Spurs are angling for the 3 seed and a matchup with the one & done T-Mac led Rockets.  The switch will be thrown once the playoffs start.    ;)

It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 10, 2008, 04:38:49 PM »
"It's pretty tight," Popovich said, "and I just don't want to take any chances with him."

They should be careful, Magic tried playing with a "tight" hamstring in the playoffs in 89 and it went "POP" in game 2 and the Lakers playoff season was over.  Not sure how much it would affect Manu's game if the got used to playing with the injury, Manu does not rely as much on his athleticism as other 2's in the league but it would affect his abilty to drive and change direction.  IMO Manu would get used to the pain after a few games and his game should not drop off too much.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: April 10, 2008, 05:07:54 PM »
Too bad Manu isn't a trooper like Kobe.  He pulls a muscle and misses a week or two.  Kobe needs surgery on his pinky and he still drops 40-50 points on teams....

Now that the fake Spurs fan is fuming and photoshopping some pictures...

There is no reason to doubt the Spurs in the playoffs.  You would think everyone would have learned their lesson by now.  You DO NOT count them out during 'winnin time'.  Regardless if they lost to top teams or crappy teams.  They are still the best playoff squad in the league right now and I don't believe anyone can debate that.  As always I look forward to the Lakers playing the Spurs, especially recently because its a great measuring stick to see what kind of team the Lakers are.
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: April 12, 2008, 02:53:50 PM »
Spurs will go without Manu, Horry and Barrdog.  Signed Dermarr Johnson, he already played 6 minutes in blowout time.
Poppycock appears to be making sure SuperManu is healed before he plays again.  Mike Monroe:

After the Spurs' 95-74 victory over Seattle, Popovich declared Ginobili doubtful for Sunday's game against the Los Angeles Lakers at Staples Center. He said Ginobili, the Spurs' scoring leader, will be "game-to-game" the rest of the regular season.

"You want it to be fully healed," Popovich said, "because it's like a sprained thumb. Every time you touch it, it comes back and doesn't heal. The groin seems to be the same sort of situation. You've got to get it healed before you come back, so I'm anxious to see how he feels (today)."

Barry better: For the first time since he re-signed with the Spurs on March 23, shooting guard Brent Barry appears close to a return to action.

Barry, who suffered a torn muscle in his left calf on Jan. 21, went through a vigorous workout Thursday. He reported only minor pain and some continued swelling Friday, and Popovich said he is optimistic he will get Barry back for limited action before the regular season ends Wednesday.

"He's got significantly less pain now than he had three or four days ago," Popovich said, "and significantly more mobility, as far as getting on his toes, pushing off and exploding. That's a good sign. He's worked through getting some of the blood and scar tissue out of that area."

The Spurs have been without Barry and veteran power forward Robert Horry since March21. Horry suffered a deep bruise on his left kneecap in a game against Sacramento.

The Spurs finish at the Lakers and Sacramento Kings on Sunday and Monday before Wednesday's home finale with Utah.

"Best-case scenario," Popovich said, "is I'm hoping we can throw Brent or Robert, or both of them, out there against Sacramento and Utah, or maybe just the Utah game, just to give them a couple of minutes to get some sort of rhythm."

Johnson signed: The Spurs signed veteran guard Dermarr Johnson for the remainder of the season.  Johnson was with the club on a 10-day contract in January, appearing in three games. He spent the bulk of the season with the Austin Toros, the Spurs' affiliate in the D-League. He averaged 17.2 points, 4.6 rebounds and 1.8 assists for the Toros, who use the Spurs' offensive sets and terminology.  "That's huge for me," Johnson said. "I know most of the terminology they use, so I shouldn't be too confused."  Since he signed a contract for the duration of the season, rather than a 10-day contract, Johnson can be on the team's playoff roster.

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: April 13, 2008, 11:15:02 AM »
Fans of most teams would love to see that those players are out but somehow with the Lakers it works against them.  They get complacent and the other squad has some random guy go for 20 in the first half all on jumpers.  Look for Vaughn or Kurt Thomas to double their scoring total for no reason other then the Lakers are notorious for letting 3rd string players beat them this year.

If the Lakers win this game they most likely will end up taking the Western Conference.  The Hornets blew it big time last night.   Very big game for both squads today.

Speaking of the Lakers..Reality O'Reily you are not being fair and balanced like you claim.  Haven't heard a peep out of you about Kobe's comments about the MVP award.  Had it been negative in any way you would have been all over it. 
« Last Edit: April 13, 2008, 11:17:07 AM by westkoast »

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 13, 2008, 08:23:56 PM »
Nice win by the Lakers.  Good effort all around.  Can't make any predictions based on this game since Manu is still out.  I would like nothing better than for the Lakers to meet the Spurs in the WCF with BOTH teams at FULL strenght.

P.S. Bowen is such a dirty cheap shot puke.
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #36 on: April 13, 2008, 10:15:33 PM »
Spurs looked pathetic, Duncan in particular.  Lakers far outhustled and outteamed the Spurs.
Parkers drives were fantastic, should have rung up three fouls on Odom early but the ABC-Laker appointed refs were busy racking up Fabs and Thomas for breathing fouls.

Can only hope like some other title years that the Spurs will flip the switch come playoff time.  We need Bob Horry and Barrdawg, Horry is looking more and more iffy for the whole playoffs.

Defensively, Spurs kept overguarding Kobster and leaving Derek Swisher open for the only shot he can hit, wide open catch and shoot jumpers.  Brilliant strategy Coatails Pop.

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 13, 2008, 11:14:55 PM »
Spurs looked pathetic, Duncan in particular.  Lakers far outhustled and outteamed the Spurs.
Parkers drives were fantastic, should have rung up three fouls on Odom early but the ABC-Laker appointed refs were busy racking up Fabs and Thomas for breathing fouls.

Can only hope like some other title years that the Spurs will flip the switch come playoff time.  We need Bob Horry and Barrdawg, Horry is looking more and more iffy for the whole playoffs.

Defensively, Spurs kept overguarding Kobster and leaving Derek Swisher open for the only shot he can hit, wide open catch and shoot jumpers.  Brilliant strategy Coatails Pop.

Spurs are looking like the walking wounded, they are limping into the playoffs instead of rolling like in their title years, even last years collusion suspension title.  Thier faltering down the stretch not too mention their losing record vs WC playoff contendors does not look good for the Spurs.  Much like the Lakers, the Spurs need to get healthy quick to have a legit shot at the title..
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline Laker Fan

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 14, 2008, 12:26:06 AM »
Who's afraid of the big bad wolf? Apparently not the Lakers, both teams hobbled with injuries but no way even with Manu in there were the Spurs beating LA tonight.

Fisher can continue to shoot "the only shot he can hit, wide open catch and shoot jumpers" sorta like Finley and Bowen do, and that will be fine with me, if teams are STUPID enough to leave him open for them, like teams that DO THE EXACT SAME THING FOR BOWEN, I'm totally cool with that.

Sorry Lurker, X3, 101, your boys got exposed tonight big time, that coupled with LA's surviving blowing a 30 point lead to NO Friday tells me one thing, LA's suspect defense may not carry them to rings, but it may very well carry them out of the WC, because even the class defense of the WC, the Spurs, couldn't handle not just LA's starting 5, but what I think is absolutely the best bench in the league, nice to see Walton starting to come out of his season long coma right on time. This squad looks like they can play offense with anyone, and just BARELY enough to defense to make Laker fans sweat the whole way through the post season. Regardless, I am stoked at their ability to beat top tier teams with regularity, (8-2 since March 1st) I am beginning to think our only challenge in the west may be Utah, and we took them down during the regular season 3-1. Defense or no, everyone with any sense should be worried at this point, too bad some fools still want to point to ref's as the the deciding factor, especially after last years conspiracy to take it all away from Phoenix, the hypocracy is amazing.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2008, 08:58:49 AM by Laker Fan »
Dan

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #39 on: April 14, 2008, 09:28:15 AM »
Can someone explain to me how its possible to be a the president and only official member of the  Brent Barry fan club then turn around and diss a player for only being able to drill catch and shoot jumpers?

Except that one time where he caught the ball, took a dribble, then hit aq turn around jumper in Manus face...

Lakers help defense was excellent last night.  Fish and Farmar did great with rushing at Duncan.  Turiaf did a nice job coming over to contest shots.  Pretty much the Spurs were beat at their own game last night..d-fence

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #40 on: April 14, 2008, 09:29:34 AM »
Didn't watch the game, looks like it got pretty ugly for the Spurs.  Two bad losses against two playoff teams does not look good going into the playoffs.  IMO, as of right now looks like "the curse of the even numbered year" will hold true for the Spurs.  Our guys are capable, but just not dominating.  

« Last Edit: April 14, 2008, 09:43:44 AM by SPURSX3 »
On the set of Walker Texas Ranger Chuck Norris brought a dying lamb back to life by nuzzling it with his beard. As the onlookers gathered, the lamb sprang to life. Chuck Norris then roundhouse kicked it, killing it instantly. The lesson? The good Chuck giveth, and the good Chuck, he taketh away.

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #41 on: April 14, 2008, 09:38:07 AM »
Solid win for all you Laker fans.  I haven't watched the game all the way through yet...had family obligations yesterday.  Flying a kite with your grandson is more important than any basketball game.   ;)

Sorry Lurker, X3, 101, your boys got exposed tonight big time,

No LFD, nothing wasn't exposed that hasn't been obvious to any observer for the past few weeks.  The Lakers just took what the Spurs have been giving every opponent lately...the chance to jump on them when they go cold offensively for long stretches.  There was a stretch in the 3rd quarter where the Lakers had something liek a 17-4 run.  And another 8-0, 10-0 run early in the 4th.  Then Pop basically surrenders and puts in the end of the bench...as evidenced by Bonner's 9 minutes and DerMarr Johnson's 9 1/2 minues.  And all 11 players who dressed played.

This is what I mentioned last week as what makes me concerned about the playoffs and I will try to post more in WOW's thread later.  Very busy at work...CPAs hate this week.
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #42 on: April 14, 2008, 09:58:39 AM »
Spurs are looking like the walking wounded, they are limping into the playoffs instead of rolling like in their title years, even last years title. 
To the contrary, 2003 was the only year the Spurs finished the reg season strong and rolled in the playoffs as the #1 seed en route to title.
2004 won their last 11, rolled 6 playoff wins to make 17 straight overall and then were eliminated as they dropped 4 straight to the MOAT Lakers.

Fisher can continue to shoot "the only shot he can hit, wide open catch and shoot jumpers" sorta like Finley and Bowen do, and that will be fine with me, if teams are STUPID enough to leave him open for them, like teams that DO THE EXACT SAME THING FOR BOWEN, I'm totally cool with that.
  Are you agreeing or disagreeing with me?

Bob Horry, Manu and to a lesser extent Barrdawg certainly will change the outcome of Spurs playoff games.  As would Bynum were he back at 100%.  We shall see.  It's also obvious how much more important this game was to you Laker backers.

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #43 on: April 14, 2008, 10:00:10 AM »
I was helping my sis-in-law find a laptop at best buy, then I bought ended up buying a new wireless n/ gigabit router and laptop cards and pc cards for it as well....that's why I try to stay out of electronics stores....can't just look, always end up buying something... :-\
On the set of Walker Texas Ranger Chuck Norris brought a dying lamb back to life by nuzzling it with his beard. As the onlookers gathered, the lamb sprang to life. Chuck Norris then roundhouse kicked it, killing it instantly. The lesson? The good Chuck giveth, and the good Chuck, he taketh away.

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #44 on: April 14, 2008, 11:19:45 AM »
Speaking of laptops, is that true that mens reproductive powers get jacked up by having laptop on lap?

Some company makes some barrier that is supposed to protect against the evil waves.  True?