Author Topic: Now that the Sixers have stumbled, are they a better team?  (Read 831 times)

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
Now that the Sixers have stumbled, are they a better team?
« on: April 02, 2008, 03:01:00 PM »
The Sixers lost two tests last week, with the Phoenix Suns and the Cleveland Cavaliers.  The Suns game wasn't even close, the Sixers missed their first 10 shots and never got into the game- a game they should have been ready for, knowing the Suns were out for revenge.  They never gave up, but were never in the game.

Cleveland was a different story, the Sixers were in the game the whole way and had the lead for most of the game.  The Sixers last scored at 2:02 and missed 5 shots afterwards, while Cleveland scored twice and went to the free-throw line.  Up by 3 with 2 min. left, and they lose by 3, a six point swing.

The Cleveland game was very uncharacteristic of the Sixers in that they had been executing with good confidence at the end of games.  They outplayed Boston and Detroit in close games at the end, and came up big, but at Cleveland the shots didn't fall.

The Sixers came back strong against New Jersey, and although they were in control most of the night, the Nets came back to within 2 points with a little over 4 min. left. After a time-out the Sixers came back and Louis Williams scored three times in a row, with a Three, a layup and a jumpshot. After that, the Sixers came up with two steals on the next two Nets possessions to put the game out of reach.

They way they played against NJ at the end of the game is the way they need to play in order to be successful.  The best teams are the ones who execute their offense at the end of games. That is why Cleveland is so tough- they have one of the best players to go to at the end in LeBron James.  The Sixers don't have a LeBron, but between Igoudala, Williams and Miller, they should always be able to get an open look.

Three are harder to stop than one, it's just a matter of how well the three play together under pressure. The experience the Sixers have gained, by falling short and loosing a close game, and then winning one, by stepping on the other teams throat right at the end, are preparing them for the playoffs.

Of course it's one thing to do that to NJ, a team with good players but in complete disarray, then it is to a good team like Phoenix, or Orlando or even Cleveland. 

The loss to the Cavaliers hurts, since it makes it much less likely for the Sixers to take the 4th spot.  The Sixers have 7 games left and are 3 1/2 games behind Cleveland. They are depending on the Cavaliers and the other teams ahead of them to lose, even if they win the rest of their games.

New Jersey has most likely been eliminated, but aren't mathematically dead yet.  The Sixers can breath new life into their chances with their next two games in a back-to-back with Atlanta.  If the Sixers can sweep the Hawks, it might put NJ back in. The Hawks match up well with the Sixers, and it is very important for Phila. to take care of business. If they win against Atlanta, it will be a sign that they have learned from their past mistakes.

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Now that the Sixers have stumbled, are they a better team?
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2008, 10:39:22 AM »
There is no way Cavs skid for 4 games at the end of the season so you can pretty much just kiss it goodbye Rick.

I think a number of teams can get hot and go on streaks in the league.  The really good teams are the ones who can respond after losses or a bad patch in the road.  Take SA for example.  They hid a 3-4 game skid but then responded like great teams do.  They got back on track and took the jabs in stride.

They are a young squad so I am not quite sure they can just bounce back real fast so I'll say no.  If they win all the games going into the playoffs then I will have to put my foot into my mouth.
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com