Author Topic: Pink Floyd Pulse the f.i.l.m.  (Read 2518 times)

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
Pink Floyd Pulse the f.i.l.m.
« on: March 22, 2008, 07:16:12 PM »
Anyone have a take on this?
Have you found good used ones or are they bootleg-scary?

Rate it as the best Pink Floyd audio/video combo by far, or do you like directors cut of Live at Pompeii just as much?  Or you like them equally well? 

Rolando Blackman where are you?

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Pink Floyd Pulse the f.i.l.m.
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2008, 11:57:55 AM »
msc you have nothing to say?

I had no idea the band had two drummers playing simulaneously at their concerts.

Q.  Did the "side" musicians such as the other lead guitarist, 2nd drummer, sax stay with the band for years and years or was it a bit of a revolver?  Same question for the three singing girls.  Who are very good dancers by the way, like how they sway to the music.

Offline Laker Fan

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2008, 02:01:59 PM »
I guarantee that there is NO ONE on this board that is a bigger fan of Pink Floyd than I am, and no one who knows more about their history or trivia regarding the band and their touring and session members than me, too bad I wasn't asked my opinion.
Dan

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2008, 02:06:36 PM »
Go for it Dan!  Only reason i specifically mentioned msc is because i remember msc posting about going to or a potential going to their mini reunion concert.  If i overlooked you it is purely accidental.

By all means, do please answer, I welcome your input 100%!

Offline msc

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2008, 07:39:59 PM »
I dig Pink Floyd, but I haven't seen Pulse, so I didn't have a lot to add to your question. 

I saw Roger Waters at the Hollywood Bowl a year or so ago when he toured.  I've always been skeptical of seeing bands when a key component isn't there, obviously Gilmour in this case.  But I must admit it was a great show, Roger brought in the best musicians and the fact that they played the entire Darkside album as the second set alone made it worth it.  The band was huge, three guitar players, a drummer, percusionist, back up singers, keys.  There must have been 12 musicians on stage. 

I'll defer to Dan though on the Floyd expertise.  I've always liked them and have most of their albums, but there are other bands I've been more fanatical about over the years. 

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2008, 02:38:50 PM »
I guarantee that there is NO ONE on this board that is a bigger fan of Pink Floyd than I am, and no one who knows more about their history or trivia regarding the band and their touring and session members than me, too bad I wasn't asked my opinion.

Go for it Dan!  Only reason i specifically mentioned msc is because i remember msc posting about going to or a potential going to their mini reunion concert.  If i overlooked you it is purely accidental.

By all means, do please answer, I welcome your input 100%!

Offline Laker Fan

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2008, 04:01:43 PM »
msc you have nothing to say?

I had no idea the band had two drummers playing simulaneously at their concerts.

Q.  Did the "side" musicians such as the other lead guitarist, 2nd drummer, sax stay with the band for years and years or was it a bit of a revolver?  Same question for the three singing girls.  Who are very good dancers by the way, like how they sway to the music.

Ok here goes, I saw Pulse, which featured material from The Division Bell at the Rose Bowl in 1995, as good as it was, it wasn't as good IMO as Delicate Sound of Thunder, which I saw in New York in 1987. I feel the same way about the DVD's Pulse in fact doesn't come close to Thunder in that Thunder plays in to the Floyd's surealism in its production far more than Pulse. Additionally, Durga Mcbroom is the only female vocalist left from Thunder, Rachel Fury and Margret Taylors vocal on Thunder were waaay better, the performance they give on Great Gig in the Sky has to be heard to be believed, BTW Clare Torry, one of their producer's wife, did the original vocals for Dark Side, she was as session singer and she successfully sued the band for back royalties because they only paid her something like 60 pounds for her work.

Tim Renwick, I'm assuming you're talking about him when you mention second lead guitarist, has played with the band when they tour since around 1970, he was a childhood friend of Roger Waters and Syd Barret, he went to school with them. He actually played the original acoustic for the album for Wish You Were Here but they eventually used the track David Gilmour laid down. He has been involved either musically or as a mixer and consultant on all their albums since Meddle (1971).

Gary Wallis has played that ultra radical standup drum set since Momentary Lapse of Reason and toured with them on Thunder to promote Reason. One of the Reason they use him live is because, quite frankly, Nick Mason isn't what you would call a great drummer, especially live.

Durga McBroom is from Cali toured in 1987 for Thunder and for Pulse, her esister Lorelei has also toured with the band. Rachel Fury, the ultra sexy singer David Gilmour flirts with on the Thunder DVD, has performed with the band since Momentary Lapse of Reason, and supposedly had an affair with Gilmour

Guy Pratt, their touring bassist since Roger Waters left the band, is married to Floyd keyboardist Rick Wright's daughter and has toured with the band since Thunder, as has Jon Carin, their second keyboardist.

Scott Page played guitar and sax for Supertramp before touring with the Floyd, and like all these other musicians, has performed live with other bands and done a lot of session work for bands besides the Floyd. When you have been around for over 40 years, (Piper at the Gates of Dawn came out in 1967), you definately go through session and touring artists. That the band itself has stayed essentially intact, less Barret, who was removed in 1968, and Waters, who left the band in (he says he disolved the band) in 1985, is in itself an amazing accomplishment, only the Stones have demonstrated such staying power.

Personally, I think Live at Pompeii was a bit of a disappointment, and I still kick myself for not getting tickets to The Wall when I had a chance to do so back in the 70's, but if you want to see a superbly produced live DVD, you must check out Delicate Sound of Thunder.

These are my thoughts in microcosm of the second greatest band to ever step on a stage, not terrific musicians even by their own admission, excepting David Gilmour, an exceptional guitarist, but incredible songwriters, arrangers, and session recorders.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2008, 04:11:39 PM by Laker Fan »
Dan

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2008, 12:16:59 PM »
Wow, now that is what i call a review  ;D
As good as the female vocalist were on Pulse, i thought they just did not measure up to the awesome voice on the album.  Now i know....thanks.

Dan is there one and only one Delicate Sound of Thunder concert dvd with both video and audio?  If so, which one is the best?

I'm hearing bootleg stories.  Granted this is Amazon, but look what it says re the DVD sold on Amazon:
Region 123456.0 encoding (This DVD will not play on most DVD players sold in the US or Canada [Region 1]. This item requires a region specific or multi-region DVD player and compatible TV. More about DVD formats.)
Is that because it's a bootleg version or does the official Floyd (dvd?) Thunder also have problems playing on many DVD units?

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2008, 12:34:17 PM »
Dan,
Ever watch (or for future reference need i ask?  :D ) the documovie "Still First In Space, The Crews Story"?  Bob Hickey made this, says he was one of the sound mixers for Pink Floyd on about 100 shows.
http://home.flash.net/~motodata/index2b.html

He said he had to rename the docu from "PinkMovie.com" to "Still First In Space..." because someone hijacked the PinkMovie website.

Bob ads "And people this is not two-hours of Pink Floyd in Concert. This is not interviews with the band. If you want to hear and see Pink Floyd they make lots of great products to buy. If you want to have fun and feel what it is like to work & tour with Pink Floyd then this DVD set is for you."

Offline Laker Fan

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2008, 01:42:31 PM »
Delicate Sound of Thunder was released on VHS in 1987 before DVD's, it was the promotional tour for the Momentary Lapse of Reason Album, I can't speak for bootlegs, seems to me if they are converted from VHS to DVD, it may be codec's compatability issues. I can't remember where I got my DVD but it works fine and I have the VHS version also, sound quality is waaay better on the DVD becasue it has been converted to digital and I have a rather, shall we say, mega intense Yamaha 7.1 system amplifier(along with superior Infinity/JBL/Yamaha speaker mix) to go with my big screen, even on VHS it sounds awesome. If you can't find a legit DVD, I don't think you would be disappointed with VHS, especially if your sound is decent.

Dan

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2008, 04:56:39 PM »

Ok here goes, I saw Pulse, which featured material from The Division Bell at the Rose Bowl in 1995, as good as it was, it wasn't as good IMO as Delicate Sound of Thunder, which I saw in New York in 1987. I feel the same way about the DVD's Pulse in fact doesn't come close to Thunder in that Thunder plays in to the Floyd's surealism in its production far more than Pulse.

Personally, I think Live at Pompeii was a bit of a disappointment, and I still kick myself for not getting tickets to The Wall when I had a chance to do so back in the 70's, but if you want to see a superbly produced live DVD, you must check out Delicate Sound of Thunder. 
Dan
1. is Delicate Sound of Thunder DVD just music or does it include video?

2.  Live at Pompeii the musical album or tour was a disappointment, or the DVD with video "Live at Pompeii" was also a disappointment?

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2008, 11:19:17 AM »
^^ LFDan,
right now my search is for live video of Floyd playing.  Please tell all.

And did you see that Bob Hickey docuvideo and did you like it?

Offline Laker Fan

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2008, 02:52:02 PM »
The Delicate Sound of Thunder DVD I have is the concert video, it was originally released in VHS format in 1987, I can't for the life of me remember where I got this DVD but it is a bootleg remaster. Picture quality isn't any different from my VHS copy but the sound remaster is remarkably better, more crisp and clear. It was shot at Nassau Colliseum, Long Island, New York (not the one I was at) and is more polished and thematic driven in terms of production than the P.U.L.S.E. video, which is more raw in it's concert footage, which while I like it very much, I just simply prefer Thunder's edit more.

I have seen clips of the Bob Hickey video and what I saw I liked because I love behind the scenes stuff anyway, especially when you consider the MASSIVE production that goes into a Pink Floyd concert, the laser show alone took up nearly half the playing field at the Rose Bowl in 1995, and the stage took up all the seats of one whole end zone, with speakers around the entire top of the stadium pointing in. The cascade of sound has to be heard to be believed. I do plan on seeing the Hickey piece, just haven't had the time.

The DVD with video "Live at Pompeii" was disappointing to me, not anything specific, just not what I expected nor as good a production as it sould have been. It's been more than 20 years since I have seen it though so maybe my feelings would change if I saw it again, I am just going by my original impression, but I have seen it 2-3 times and my impression was always the same so who knows... The Wall was, well, not designed for people to see sober.

IF you can't find a DVD, bootleg or otherwise, of Thunder, get the VHS, it is still my personal favorite, there is also video of the them at the Nebworth (sp?) in England some years ago that was really good, even though they only sang 2-3 songs.
Dan