Author Topic: AI comes back to Philly tonight!  (Read 2157 times)

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
AI comes back to Philly tonight!
« on: March 19, 2008, 12:50:58 PM »
Philly for the most part loves AI. For a while he was the team and they were winners. So, well all clap when he gets introduced.  But once the ball goes up, the love is over, he's our enemy now.

Denver is struggling to get into the playoffs?  Too bad.  The Sixers have ambitions of their own, like maybe catching Cleveland and getting the 4th spot!  It's not impossible, they are 4.5 games out with 15 left, including one head to head.  And, even if they can't get to 4, they can get to 6 or 5 as Washington is .5 ahead and Toronto is only 1 ahead in the 5th spot.

Denver can put up a lot of points, but the Sixers can run with them.  Not only that, but the Sixers actually play defense.  Last night Denver put up 120, which sounds like a lot until you see that Detroit put up 136!

I hope they run all night.  Denver is older and more likely to get tired.

I wonder how AI will feel when he finds the team he left is better than the team he joined.

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: AI comes back to Philly tonight!
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2008, 02:39:29 PM »
But Rick in the last 10 games Denver has a better point differential.  So obviously Denver is a far better team than Philly.

And if you care to look at defensive FG% the Nuggets have a better one than the Sixers on the season.  It is a misnomer that Denver doesn't play defense.  They have the fastest pace in the NBA so there are more possessions by both teams which results in a higher per game average.  But when you look at other measurements of defense the Nuggets are closer to the top than the Sixers.

It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2008, 03:00:10 PM »
And if you care to look at defensive FG% the Nuggets have a better one than the Sixers on the season.  It is a misnomer that Denver doesn't play defense

Nice to see someone else notice.

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2008, 03:15:52 PM »
For some reason I was thinking he had already been back.  I checked the trade date / schd and you are right.  Didn't realize he got traded 2 years ago after Denver made their appearance in Philly.

AI is one player I would not want to give a reason to play hard for.  He plays hard every night normally but when he has a reason to step it up for a certain game he's a killer.  I look forward to hearing about him dropping 40 and 8 dimes tonight lol
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2008, 03:30:39 PM »
Over the Past 10 games Denver is +7.7 ranked 6th in the league.  Philly is 7th at +7.5.  Considering Philly has been playing San Antonio, Detroit, Boston and Phoenix during that run, I would call that difference negligible.

Also, over the past 10 the Sixers have allowed a lower shooting pct. than Denver.

More telling is that they got thumped last night by Detroit, whereas when Philly visited, they delivered the thump to Detroit.

The Pistons put up 136 on the Nuggets, they managed 82 against the Sixers. Denver is a great scoring team, but they are very weak defensively. It actually looks to be an even match, but I give an edge to the Sixers because they are at home and rested, while the Nuggets were fighting the Pistons, and the Sixers team defense and rebounding mindset.

I love the running game, I think the Sixers will get at least 15 turnovers tonight.

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2008, 04:20:11 PM »
How is Denver anymore weak defensively then the Sixers are?  Camby is a better post defender then anyone on the Sixers.  Ag is a better one on one defender then AI but he doesn't quite match up in the steals dept.

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2008, 04:51:27 PM »
How is Denver anymore weak defensively then the Sixers are?  Camby is a better post defender then anyone on the Sixers.  Ag is a better one on one defender then AI but he doesn't quite match up in the steals dept.

The Sixers are one of the league's top defensive teams, out-rebounding opponents by +3.16 for the season, ranked 4th, and are the 2nd leading team in Steals, also for the whole season.

Ask Duncan if he'd rather be guarded by Camby or Dalembert!

If you had the opportunity to watch them, you would instantly see they were a better defensive team.  Their whole defense is designed to pressure teams and force turnovers.  Their fast-break is set up by steals. They play the passing lanes very well, Reggie Evans pesters players on traps, and Dalembert defends the basket.

Andre Miller doesn't match up with AI for steals but Igoudala is actually better. Evans, Williams and Young and those two are all in the top 80 for steals, Iggy is ranked 6th, higher than Kobe, Marion, Iverson or James.

Overall, Denver is ranked higher at producing turnovers, but over the past 10 games the Sixers are ranked first in differential.

The Sixers team defense is why I think they deserve to be ranked higher than they are. They even give teams like Detroit and San Antonio a hard time executing their offense. And both those teams are excellent at running their offense in the half-court. 

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2008, 08:40:51 PM »
Too bad the game was not nationaly televised.  Looked like a good one from the box score.  So much for those teams playing any defense.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2008, 09:49:51 PM »
Too bad the game was not nationaly televised.  Looked like a good one from the box score.  So much for those teams playing any defense.

The Nuggets started the 4th 0-15.  There was defense.  Don't confuse defense with Pace.

The Nuggets played a poor game defensively, but the Sixers really picked it up and played good 2nd half defense.

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2008, 10:15:27 PM »
The game was closer than it should have been.  The Sixers were appallingly bad from the free-throw stripe, shooting 54.5% and missing 15. Had they been making them, they would have applied even more pressure on the Nuggets.

I actually thought Denver could have taken this game down the stretch.  I suppose there's no such thing as a good enough half-court offense, unless you can score every time down, it's just not good enough! I shouldn't complain- the Sixers shot 60.3% from the floor, well above their average, while the Nuggets only managed 47.8% -pretty average for the NBA.

But each team hung in there, making play after play.  It is a shame it wasn't on National TV; it was one of the most exciting and closely contested games all year.

There was a lot of emotion going on beneath the surface.  AI wanted to play his best. Andre Miller wanted to show Denver that they were dumb to trade HIM!  Iverson outscored him, 32pts on 13-24, 8 assists, 3 steals.  Miller outassisted AI, 28pts on 13-21, 12 assists, 1 steal.  One of the biggest plays of the game came with AI defending Miller, who had him in the post. Andre made a shot fake, and AI jumped into the air and fell into Miller, who completed the shot and made the free-throw.  It was nullified when AI went down to the other end and shot a 3ptr.

A great game and a great outcome for the Sixers. 4 straight wins, finally a .500 ballclub.  Unfortunately, both Toronto and Washington won, so the Sixers didn't make up any ground, but at least they didn't loose any. Toronto has been awful lately, but they got a freebie from the Miami Heat.

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2008, 10:04:57 AM »

Yea I looked and looked but nothing.

Offline Skandery

• MSN Messenger - skandery27@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2008, 10:46:37 AM »
. . .but at least they didn't loose any

<smacks forehead>
"But guys like us, we don't pay attention to the polls. We know that polls are just a collection of statistics that reflect what people are thinking in 'reality'. And reality has a well-known liberal bias."

Offline Laker Fan

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2008, 10:49:58 AM »

<smacks forehead>

Methinks he does it on purpose now Skander.
Dan

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2008, 12:26:37 PM »

<smacks forehead>

Does that mean he won't take himself seriously anymore?   ::)
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline Laker Fan

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2008, 12:55:33 PM »

<smacks forehead>

Does that mean he won't take himself seriously anymore?   ::)

I can't imagine that he did anyway, no one else except reality ever does.  ::)
Dan