Author Topic: Well, it looks like the Sixers ARE a playoff team after all.  (Read 1892 times)

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
Well, it looks like the Sixers ARE a playoff team after all.
« on: March 04, 2008, 08:52:30 PM »
I didn't want this to happen, I really wanted them to get a good high draft pick to increase their talent level.    Instead, it turns out that they have become a better team than their record indicates.

It's hard to define exactly when the change occurred, between their being a loosing team and then a winning team.  Although it is more coincidence than anything else, the change started with the trade of Kyle Korver.

The trade forced Cheeks to play the rookies, and the younger players, and it turns out that they can play.  They are still developing and it's not clear just how good they can be with who they have, but they won't know that for another few years.

At any rate, they are playing differently and more effectively.  Over the past 10 games, they have won by an average of 5.6 pts.  To contrast that with they way they were playing, for the whole season, their point differential is exactly zero!  This suggests that they should be a .500 team and they are getting close to that now. In actuality, they are playing at a 61% winning percentage over their last 20 games, and at a 70% clip in their last 10.

Even if I know they aren't winning at all this year, I'd like to see them move up in the standings so they can play the 3rd or 4th seed.  Then they might even have the experience of winning an opening round playoff series.

They are a defensive, running team. They like to force other teams into mistakes and captialize on them. They run at every opportunity, and if their opponent allows it, they will be in fast-break mode the entire game.  If they other team can force the Sixers into a half-court, they better be able to play defense.  The LA Clippers kept the Sixer from running, but they still shot at 60% for the game, which demonstrates that they can execute.

The stakes are higher now, as we get closer to playoff time and any team that has a shot is trying very hard to win.  The next 10 games will establish just where the Sixers stand, and it matters since at the moment they would draw Detroit if the playoffs started now.  They are currently 7th in the conference and may be able to catch Washington, who is ahead by 2 and Toronto which has a 5.5 game lead.  With 21 games left to go anything can happen.

Offline Randy

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Well, it looks like the Sixers ARE a playoff team after all.
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2008, 10:47:54 AM »
Perhaps it would help to look at the following:
  In the past 20 games, the Sixers have beaten the following opponents playing over .500 ball:  Suns, Magic and Mavs.  That looks great -- the Sixers have a winning record during this 20 game streak of 12-8.  The 8 losses the Sixers have had during that 20 game losing streak have been by an average of 10.5 ppg.  If you want to look at the 3 games lost during the last 10 games, those losses have been an average of 18 ppg. 

The Sixers have played a couple of good teams during that stretch but the majority of their wins have come against bottom feeders.  You also fail to mention that some of their losses come against bottom feeders too -- and some were huge blowouts. 

I don't see anything for the Sixers but a quick first round loss in the playoffs -- they would have been better off with lottery picks (I would NEVER want a team to tank on purpose though).

That being said, the Sixers are playing better ball than they were and that's great -- the love to run and it's fun to watch them. 

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2008, 11:31:10 AM »
  In the past 20 games, the Sixers have beaten the following opponents playing over .500 ball:  Suns, Magic and Mavs.  That looks great -- the Sixers have a winning record during this 20 game streak of 12-8.  The 8 losses the Sixers have had during that 20 game losing streak have been by an average of 10.5 ppg.  If you want to look at the 3 games lost during the last 10 games, those losses have been an average of 18 ppg. 

The Sixers have played a couple of good teams during that stretch but the majority of their wins have come against bottom feeders.  You also fail to mention that some of their losses come against bottom feeders too -- and some were huge blowouts. 

I don't see anything for the Sixers but a quick first round loss in the playoffs -- they would have been better off with lottery picks (I would NEVER want a team to tank on purpose though).

That being said, the Sixers are playing better ball than they were and that's great -- the love to run and it's fun to watch them. 

In defense of the Sixers those 'bottom feeders' are not too much lower then the Sixers right now.  If the Sixers were in Detroit or Boston's spot then ya..beating lesser teams is expected.  They however are towards the middle-bottom of the pack and beating teams below them is exactly what they should be doing.  You can't actually expect them to beat teams with more talent and a more solid core in place.  Yet they are doing just that.  Winning on the road against PHX, Mavs, and Magic is impressive for any team.  If Boston did that it would be quality wins.  The Sixers doing it is just that much more better considering they shouldn't beat these teams.

No doubt the Sixers would be one and done.  Keeping the team competitive and showing the fans in Philly that they can improve is still very important to the franchise.  DB said there is no way they will get a top 5 pick with the run so I say continue to win, learn about your team, and let Igs raise the level of his game to take into next year where he might make the all-star team.
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline Randy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2008, 11:53:27 AM »

In defense of the Sixers those 'bottom feeders' are not too much lower then the Sixers right now.  If the Sixers were in Detroit or Boston's spot then ya..beating lesser teams is expected.  They however are towards the middle-bottom of the pack and beating teams below them is exactly what they should be doing.  You can't actually expect them to beat teams with more talent and a more solid core in place.  Yet they are doing just that.  Winning on the road against PHX, Mavs, and Magic is impressive for any team.  If Boston did that it would be quality wins.  The Sixers doing it is just that much more better considering they shouldn't beat these teams.

No doubt the Sixers would be one and done.  Keeping the team competitive and showing the fans in Philly that they can improve is still very important to the franchise.  DB said there is no way they will get a top 5 pick with the run so I say continue to win, learn about your team, and let Igs raise the level of his game to take into next year where he might make the all-star team.

I already propped the Sixers -- IMO, there are several teams that should be at least as good as the Sixers (i.e. Clips, Milwaukee) -- they aren't and the Sixers are playing up to their potential.  But wk, even you propped the Sixers for beating the Mavs -- why?  Shouldn't they beat the Mavs if you take away more than half of their starting line-up?  IMO, Howard has been the Mavs best player this year -- beating out Dirk because of the defense that he plays.  Take Howard, Stackhouse, Dampier and Harris away from Dallas and I think the Sixers have a chance of beating them every time.  That's why you can't look at a couple of games -- you have to look at the whole season.  Phoenix should have beaten them -- so should Orlando -- however, is there any doubt in anyone's mind that the Sixers couldn't take more than one game in a seven game series from Phoenix, Dallas or Orlando?

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2008, 06:24:57 PM »
Yeah there's doubt.

They beat those teams playing their style of game.  They imposed their will on them and maintained control on their home courts.

I think the Sixers might take Orlando in a series.  If Phoenix doesn't change- and Giricek is NOT going to make the difference... I'd pick Phila. in a series over the Suns.  Dallas hasn't exactly set the league on fire since they got Kidd either.

This isn't last year.  This season, teams have changed a lot.

20 games is a quarter of a season. It's not a complete sample but it's fairly representative.

In any case, they are in the 7th spot and have increased their lead over NJ.

And, you're right, the most important thing is that they're fun to watch.  I like up-tempo basketball, and I like agressive ball-hawking defense.  More often than not, you see them start out with a small lead, and by half time it's 10 pts. and then they jump on the other team in the third if they can and put them away.

The better teams put up more of a fight, but it didn't seem like any of them could take control of the game back from the Sixers. That tells me they're pretty good.

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2008, 06:29:06 PM »
Yeah there's doubt.

They beat those teams playing their style of game.  They imposed their will on them and maintained control on their home courts.

I think the Sixers might take Orlando in a series.  If Phoenix doesn't change- and Giricek is NOT going to make the difference... I'd pick Phila. in a series over the Suns.  Dallas hasn't exactly set the league on fire since they got Kidd either.

20 games is a quarter of a season. It's not a complete sample but it's fairly representative.

And, you're right, the most important thing is that they're fun to watch.  I like up-tempo basketball, and I like agressive ball-hawking defense.  More often than not, you see them start out with a small lead, and by half time it's 10 pts. and then they jump on the other team in the third if they can and put them away.

The better teams put up more of a fight, but it didn't seem like any of them could take control of the game back from the Sixers. That tells me they're pretty good.

Whoa whoa whoa....you were just on this very board saying that PHX with Shaq will win a championship.  Now you are saying the 76ers can take them in a series.  So is it you were mistaken about what you said about PHX or you think the 76ers are a championship team.  It's one or the other.
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline Randy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2008, 06:36:46 PM »
I think the Sixers might take Orlando in a series.

In spite of the fact that the Sixers have beaten Orlando one time out of three in the last 15 games?  Would you call that objective reasoning?

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2008, 07:37:09 PM »
Yeah there's doubt.

Whoa whoa whoa....you were just on this very board saying that PHX with Shaq will win a championship.  Now you are saying the 76ers can take them in a series.  So is it you were mistaken about what you said about PHX or you think the 76ers are a championship team.  It's one or the other.

So far it appears that Shaq has not had the effect on the Suns that I anticipated.  I'm not sure what is wrong with them, but right now, they don't look better than the Sixers.  I do not in any way consider the Sixers a Championship team.  It's impossible, they have to many holes in their team, too many weaknesses for them to be at that level.

I wouldn't call it objective reasoning to say the Sixers could take Orlando.  I'd say it was wild speculation based on one game in which the Sixers backcourt dominated the Magic's 52-2. If you saw that game, you'd think the Sixers would have a good chance too.  The Magic were never in that game, they were down 15 by half time, and they never got back in it.  By the way, that team was at full strength too, it's just that Phila. found a weakness and kept picking at it.  The Magic didn't have an answer.

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2008, 09:57:16 PM »

I would definitely put money on the Sixers losing CONVINCINGLY to all those teams.  I would probably put money on all those teams sweeping the Sixers.

"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline Randy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2008, 11:38:43 PM »
Yeah there's doubt.

So far it appears that Shaq has not had the effect on the Suns that I anticipated.  I'm not sure what is wrong with them, but right now, they don't look better than the Sixers.  I do not in any way consider the Sixers a Championship team.  It's impossible, they have to many holes in their team, too many weaknesses for them to be at that level.

I wouldn't call it objective reasoning to say the Sixers could take Orlando.  I'd say it was wild speculation based on one game in which the Sixers backcourt dominated the Magic's 52-2. If you saw that game, you'd think the Sixers would have a good chance too.  The Magic were never in that game, they were down 15 by half time, and they never got back in it.  By the way, that team was at full strength too, it's just that Phila. found a weakness and kept picking at it.  The Magic didn't have an answer.

Okay, I see where you are going -- then I will wildly speculate that the Minnesota Timberwolves (even though they are a .200 team) would beat the Sixers in a series because they dismantled the Sixers just 8 games ago and beat them by 16 points.  The Sixers were at full strength too -- so I guess that means it's lucky that the Sixers don't play the TWolves in the playoffs, huh?