Author Topic: How is it possible for things continue to get worse in NY?  (Read 1790 times)

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
How is it possible for things continue to get worse in NY?
« on: March 04, 2008, 04:30:45 PM »
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3276484

Thomas ducks questions on Marbury, who's nowhere to be seen
By Chris Sheridan
ESPN.com
(Archive)
Updated: March 4, 2008, 3:49 PM ET
Comment
 Email
 Print
 GREENBURGH, N.Y. -- It took Isiah Thomas only 2 minutes and 9 seconds to run away from the media Tuesday as he faced another round of questioning centered on his feud with Stephon Marbury.

"Any questions about LeBron James? Going once, going twice ..." were Thomas' parting words to reporters Tuesday after the New York Knicks practiced for roughly 30 minutes, one night after dropping 24 games below .500 with a 100-88 loss to the New Orleans Hornets.

The Knicks play again at Madison Square Garden Wednesday night against Cleveland, and Thomas said Marbury was expected to attend the game.

Of course, Thomas said the same thing about Marbury on Monday, but Marbury was a no-show, despite Thomas' assurances that Marbury would be in the building and would take questions. Marbury has not spoken publicly since Jan. 16, shortly before he underwent elective surgery to have bone spurs removed from his ankle.

Asked Tuesday if he was disappointed that Marbury did not show up Monday night, Thomas responded: "We have our hands full with Chris Paul and LeBron James. When you have the opportunity to speak with Steph, you can ask him all the questions that you need to ask him."

A Knicks spokesman said Marbury was at the facility Tuesday undergoing rehabilitation in an area off-limits to the media. The spokesman could not say with certainty whether Marbury had violated a team rule by missing Monday's game, and when the spokesman was asked to relay a formal interview request to Marbury, he returned moments later and said Marbury had left the building.

A source has confirmed to ESPN.com that Marbury was told by Thomas to stay away from the Garden, news that was first reported late last week by the New York tabloids. The ban was lifted early Monday, and a Knicks spokesman spoke to Marbury on Monday afternoon to inform him that Thomas had told reporters he expected Marbury at the arena that night.

The New York Post, citing a confidant of Marbury's, reported the guard was miffed that Thomas hadn't passed along the update personally.

Asked about that report Tuesday, Thomas huffed: "I have no reaction."

Thomas then asked if anyone had any LeBron James questions, but he didn't wait to hear any -- Bruce Beck of WNBC-TV tried his best by asking a retreating Thomas whether Marbury would defend James -- before spinning to his left and walking out of the practice gym.

It was the fifth time in his past nine media availability sessions that Thomas exited prematurely while being questioned about his own job or his rift with Marbury.

Chris Sheridan covers the NBA for ESPN.com.

"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: How is it possible for things continue to get worse in NY?
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2008, 04:43:00 PM »
Isiah Thomas is a loser but the front office/owner of the Knicks are even bigger losers.  In a day and age where quality coaches get fired for lame reasons (see Adleman) it just blows my mind that not only has Isiah continued to coach, there is no end in sight.  They keep giving him chance after chance.  He keeps making things worse and worse.  I just don't get it.  The guy is the George Bush of NBA coaching.  It's not like he's a Greg Popavich, Phil Jackson, or Jerry Sloan to where his coaching is so great that this other BS gets over looked.  FIRE HIM.  When I say FIRE I mean put him on a stake and burn him like Joan of Arc.  Amazing he transfered his loser funk from his playing days all the way to a front office job then back onto the court as a head coach.
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2008, 04:57:49 PM »
Funny thing is they bought out Larry Brown because he didn't have the team Isiah put together going in the right direction.  And in the one year since they extended Thomas' contract he has won less games than Brown.  Ownership is completely screwed up.
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline ziggy

• Yahoo Instant Messenger - ziggythebeagle
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2008, 07:43:37 PM »
Funny thing is they bought out Larry Brown because he didn't have the team Isiah put together going in the right direction.  And in the one year since they extended Thomas' contract he has won less games than Brown.  Ownership is completely screwed up.

I didn't know they extended Isiah last year.  The way I took what happened was they signed Brown to a 5 year deal.  He coached 1 year, and got fired.  They negotiated a buyout which was cut the payment to where it was really a 4 year deal.  Isiah then had to coach and GM with no additional money for being coach for a couple of years, at which point his deal is done, and they only have a year left of Browns.
A third-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the majority. A second-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the minority. A first-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking.

A quotation is a handy thing to have about, saving one the trouble of thinking for oneself.

AA Mil

Offline Randy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2008, 10:56:49 AM »
Thomas did get a multiyear contract extension in March, 2007.  However, I don't know if that was for GM or Coaching or both.

I will say that, as much as I hate to say it, Lurker is FINALLY right -- ownership is the biggest problem here.  Isaiah is just being consistent and doing what he has done everywhere -- doing a horrible job of running things into the ground.  I would think that Dolan is a better comparison with Bush -- someone who rides a failing strategy until the whole thing just dies (without listening to anyone or looking at the facts) just because he can't EVER admit that he was wrong.

Isaiah is HORRIBLE -- but he was making horrible decisions before his boss game his a big long fat contract extension -- Dolan basically told Isaiah the he LIKED what Isaiah was doing -- so why put the blame on Isaiah?  He got rewarded for running the team poorly and he is just continuing to do the same thing he was doing before.

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2008, 11:19:20 AM »
The Knicks are getting everything they deserve because they went with Isiah.

Between Thomas and Brown, which one has assembled multiple teams to get to the playoffs?  Which one has assembled a Championship team by adding a player?

Why would you choose Thomas over Brown!?!?!?

Thomas assembled a bad team and overpaid them.  They have internal problems with Thomas at the root of several of them.  NY basketball fans are having a bad time of it with both the Knicks and the Nets offering them nothing to look forward to.

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2008, 12:52:20 PM »
The Knicks are getting everything they deserve because they went with Isiah.

Between Thomas and Brown, which one has assembled multiple teams to get to the playoffs?  Which one has assembled a Championship team by adding a player?

Why would you choose Thomas over Brown!?!?!?

Thomas assembled a bad team and overpaid them.  They have internal problems with Thomas at the root of several of them.  NY basketball fans are having a bad time of it with both the Knicks and the Nets offering them nothing to look forward to.

NY fans are pretending that they don't exist right now and are quick to bring up the Giants...I kid you not.  I have a few friends who live in NYC that I talk baskeball with on Aol instant messenger.

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2008, 01:13:57 PM »
I have a few friends who live in NYC that I talk baskeball with on Aol instant messenger.

LOL!  Talking basketball over the internet, how lame!  You are such a loser dork!
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2008, 01:24:27 PM »
I have a few friends who live in NYC that I talk baskeball with on Aol instant messenger.

LOL!  Talking basketball over the internet, how lame!  You are such a loser dork!

Could you imagine if I said 'Yea we debate basketball via ICQ!'  That is taking loser dork to the next level.

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2008, 02:28:01 PM »

Could you imagine if I said 'Yea we debate basketball via ICQ!'  That is taking loser dork to the next level.

If you used IRC you would be an old school dork.
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2008, 02:32:41 PM »

Hey!

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2008, 02:34:45 PM »

I actually do use IRC from time to time lol

db what network do you go on?

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2008, 03:09:23 PM »

Mainly freenode.  But not for basketball.

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2008, 03:12:47 PM »

Mainly freenode.  But not for basketball.

Me either..mainly to get linux/networking help or to get music heh