Author Topic: New power ranking on ESPN have the Spurs at the top.  (Read 4590 times)

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: New power ranking on ESPN have the Spurs at the top.
« Reply #30 on: March 08, 2008, 10:50:37 AM »
"Rick...the Sixers played Orlando Feb 1, Feb 22 and Feb 27.  They lost the first two of those games.

So the Sixers changed everything in less than a month.  In fact they changed everything in less than a week.  But teams that made major changes due to trades are struggling severl weeks later.  Good reasoning there."

What do you think happens, they throw a switch and all of a sudden play better?  Any team no matter who they are goes through ups and downs.  The difference is that some teams oscillate between great play and above average play, whereas other teams oscillate between adequate play and ineffectual play.

Phila. is a team that is working on graduating from ineffectual play to adequate play when they are at their worst.  That means that teams above them can beat them, but have to play at a high level themselves.

They started the year as a .400 ball club and about 20 games ago started playing .500 ball.  Then they started taking 6 out of 10 and now, they're playing .700 ball.  THAT IS WHAT MAKES THEM A TOP 10 TEAM. 

Get a clue.  Irrespective of who they're playing, they're playing better, winning by larger margins and blowing out weak teams with double-digit wins.

San Antonio the best team, gee, better tell Denver that before they beat them again!

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 08, 2008, 11:21:25 AM »
Get a clue.  Irrespective of who they're playing, they're playing better, winning by larger margins and blowing out weak teams with double-digit wins.

I don't think anyone is really arguing that, at least I'm not.  Yet they are clearly NOT a top 10 team, let alone top 8, despite their impressive streak.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: March 08, 2008, 11:25:59 AM »
Guys, knock it off.  We beat the Sonics last night.  The Sonics!  Obviously we're title contenders.  Not only did we beat them, but since point differential is the only way to objectively measure a team's quality, we beat them by 34!

The Spurs have nothing on us.

Back to serious basketball, Thaddeus Young is going to be a stud.  Maybe not know, although he's a very good contributor at this point, even though he's the second youngest player in the NBA.  But there are always two things in a draftee.  There's potential (physical gifts and abilities), and probability to reach that potential.  Thad's bball IQ is as high as I've seen in years for a 19 year old kid.  His work ethic's tremendous, his rotations are crisp, and his touch around the rim is amazing.  I could see him putting 20 lbs on his frame in the next 2-3 years and converting to a full time PF as well.  Good kid.  Billy King got that one right.

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: March 08, 2008, 03:13:49 PM »
^^ Nucleous for the Sixers moving fwd is looking very good.

Lurkerand SpursXs3, I'm not gonna complain about that horrendous Spurs 3rd qtr vs Denver thus the 1st loss in 11 games.
However, Findawg cannot hang defensively with the top offensive 3s no way no how.  Josh Howard got him the other night and then Marshmello roasted him in the 3rd qtr after SuperManu had to take a seat with 3 breathing fouls on Iverson and Marshy.  I know Pop likes to jack with the rotations in reg season, i applaude him for that.  But what is the plan come playofftime?  Ime had a very off night, let the Thuggets goad him into a couple silly fouls.  Perhaps in a 7 game series he knows the combo of Findawgs heating up on O overcomes his defensive liability and/or the combo of Findawg-Ime when appropriate sharing the 3 spot takes care of O and D.

Najera was fantastic, nothing but props for that game.

New Orleans vs Houston tonight so either way we gain a little ground on one of them.

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: March 09, 2008, 10:36:37 PM »
Guys, knock it off.  We beat the Sonics last night.  The Sonics!  Obviously we're title contenders.  Not only did we beat them, but since point differential is the only way to objectively measure a team's quality, we beat them by 34!

The Spurs have nothing on us.

Back to serious basketball, Thaddeus Young is going to be a stud.  Maybe not know, although he's a very good contributor at this point, even though he's the second youngest player in the NBA.  But there are always two things in a draftee.  There's potential (physical gifts and abilities), and probability to reach that potential.  Thad's bball IQ is as high as I've seen in years for a 19 year old kid.  His work ethic's tremendous, his rotations are crisp, and his touch around the rim is amazing.  I could see him putting 20 lbs on his frame in the next 2-3 years and converting to a full time PF as well.  Good kid.  Billy King got that one right.

Thad's been getting better and better as his teamates gain confidence in him.  He always seems to know where to go on the floor to be open, and he is one of the primary reasons the Sixers are so much better, as his increased scoring hasn't come at anyone else's expense.  He shoots an extremely high percentage and has very good moves in the low post.  It would be nice if he put on more muscle, but right now he's more of a three than a four.  He just doesn't have the size or strength to play against a solid four and I'm not sure that he's the banging type.

Over the past 10 games the Sixers are now ranked 5th in point differential.  Of course this includes games with the Sonics and the Bucks, so that would squew the rankings in their favor.  I actually think they are about 9th in the League, behind 6 Western Teams and Boston, Detroit and Cleveland.

Over their past 20 games they are 14-6 which is .700 ball.

Things get very tough for them this week. Tomorrow, after traveling home from Milwaukee, they get to play Boston, who is ranked third in point differential over their last 10. I would love to see the Sixers win, but Boston really does do everything well, and if the Sixers managed to keep it close and force Boston to work hard for the win I would be happy. 

If they loose there are no excuses, the Sixers have been very good in their back to back games this year.

In fairness to Billy King, he's drafted quite a few decent NBA players, including Young, Igoudala, Williams and Green. Carney also appears to be turning out to be a decent backup as well. There are also a few that ended up being traded away, like Tim Thomas and Larry Hughes.  But it simply took Billy too long to make the team competitive again, and the Webber trade turned out to be a disaster.

It is a shame that it took the Sixers this long to start playing well, had they started the year like this Billy would still have his job. But, I think that Ed Stefanski is the one that told Cheeks to play up tempo ball, and to give the youngsters minutes. Ed will earn his money this summer and next if he can get us a decent 4 to add to the team without loosing Igoudala, Young or Dalembert. I wouldn't mind loosing Sam if we could replace him with someone else that could put up better numbers and post people up.