Author Topic: Kurt Thomas to Spurs  (Read 3054 times)

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
Kurt Thomas to Spurs
« on: February 20, 2008, 08:56:11 PM »
Spurs get Kurt Thomas

Seattle gets
Brent Barry.  Some scuttlebutt that they will get Barrdog back after a buyout.
Francisco Elson
2009 first-round draft pick.

Really wanted to see Elson continue to develop as a Spur but he's been it Pops doghouse for quite a while.
His missed D rotations and sometimes silly fouls cost him.  Refs also loved to ring him up, but he should have dialed into that and avoided giving them any chance. 
Thanks for the role in 2007 Champs, Eldawg.
Barrdog  :P :P here's hoping you come back after a buyout.

Offline msc

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Kurt Thomas to Spurs
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2008, 09:11:58 PM »
Interesting, I've always liked Kurt Thomas's game as a solid role player who can defend, rebound and hit the open 10 -15 footer. 

I'm interested to hear from Spurs fans on their take on this (no offense Reality). 

Was Barry stinking it up this year?  It seems every time he plays the Lakers he never misses from 3-pt land.  I noticed Elson wasn't doing much.  I remember watching him have several good games when he was on GS and it seemed like he had a ton of potential.  I guess he wasn't living up to it on SA. 

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2008, 10:08:19 PM »
Well, I would say this is the Spurs "panic" move.  And I really like it.  Barry was having a solid year and in some ways was the Spurs second best ball handler.  He hurt his calf earlier this year and missed a couple weeks.  Came back and re-injured iit after a couple games.  He is still out. Reality hit the nail on the head for Elson...missed defensive rotations, careless ball handling. 

Thomas will be a great addition.  He is a wily vet.  He can muscle up with Shaq, Bynum and Boozer.  He hits the boards and knows how to play within his limits.  He passes well and has good hands.  He is playoff tested with the Suns last year (ironic that the Spurs end up with the toughest Suns player).  He will be a solid fit backing up Duncan & Fabs.  I wouldn't be surprised to see him take the starting spot from Fabs in the right matchups.

If I had to rank the western moves I would in this order:

Lakers - Gasol steal, Ariza solid deal for little used Cook.
Spurs - Stoudemire pickup, Thomas for 2 players who are out of the rotation.
Jazz - Korver
Mavs - Kidd cost more from the rotation than the others; not sure he will upgrade the offense as much as he will hurt the defense
Suns - traded on-court energy for lockerroom harmony; will be the most interesting one to watch
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline Randy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2008, 10:39:47 PM »
This is a HUGE upgrade for the Spurs.  The Spurs will miss Barry in the area of depth but Thomas is a MAJOR upgrade from Fabs.  He is a better defender in the post, a more consistent 18' shooter and a better rebounder.  He will help the Spurs a great deal.

I can't agree with your assessment of Damon Stoudamire, Lurker, not too many people were interested in the guy -- he is a streaky, inconsistent shooter and a poor defender.  I don't think he is much help to the Spurs.

I would also agree with your assessment on the rankings of the better trade deals (that's scary!):

Lakers - Gasol steal, Ariza solid deal for little used Cook.
Spurs - Stoudemire pickup, Thomas for 2 players who are out of the rotation.
Jazz - Korver
Mavs - Kidd cost more from the rotation than the others; not sure he will upgrade the offense as much as he will hurt the defense
Suns - traded on-court energy for lockerroom harmony; will be the most interesting one to watch

I'm not sure why the Jazz's signing of Korver isn't receiving more attention.  I think this trade was FAR better than the ones that are considered "blockbuster" trades (i.e. Mavs and Suns).  I think that the Mavs gave up far too much (esp. in the interior) to get Kidd.  And I think the combination of losing Harris and Diop is more of a subtraction than adding Kidd to the roster.  Have the Mavs forgotten that Diop has been their only interior defense in the past playoffs?  Dampier is not only inconsistent but simply disappears at times.

I still say that the Suns lost far far more than they gained in adding Shaq.  I STILL believe that Marion was the best Sun all-around player.  No, he wasn't the leader but he was their BEST defender, their best finisher and it could be argued their best shooter (although I would give Nash the nod in this area).

IMO, the Mavs and the Suns got worse, not better!

Congrats to the Spurs -- the playoffs this year are going to be GREAT!!!  (hopefully, everyone [esp. the Lakers] will be healthy)

Offline Laker Fan

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2008, 12:25:17 AM »
Korver sure made his presence felt last night against the Warriors, agreed, this was a sleeper addition to the Jazz that teams better pay attention to or they might get burned.
Dan

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2008, 02:13:20 AM »
Actually This was the second trade the Spurs tried to make today, the first was almost completed this morning for Ron Artest, Pop always did want to get that guy, crazy or not, it was almost a done deal.  but fell through, and the Sonics trade came up and Pop pulled the trigger.  As for my take, I don't know really, Kurt gives tim someone to bang for him when we play the Suns now.  Barry will be missed, I really liked the guy.  Elson, well, he just was not playing much anymore.  RC Buford said the trade for kurt was mostly due to how physical the west has become this year.  I think this just balances all the top teams all over again and don't see a real advantage that any of the top west teams have now.  It looks like it will come down to endurance in who finishes and goes to the finals.
On the set of Walker Texas Ranger Chuck Norris brought a dying lamb back to life by nuzzling it with his beard. As the onlookers gathered, the lamb sprang to life. Chuck Norris then roundhouse kicked it, killing it instantly. The lesson? The good Chuck giveth, and the good Chuck, he taketh away.

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2008, 10:36:27 AM »
Why the hell did Seattle do this trade?   Just to make a trade?  Is this "Mom all the kids in my class are going to the concert, can I go" type deal?   Kurt Thomas was playing very well for his age.  Much more then Seattle could have hoped for when they originally got him.  He was impressive on the glass and I think this is excellent for the Spurs.  I wouldn't call it panic mode.  I would call it a smart move.  One they should have made regardless of all these big moves in the West.  They gave up Barry, which Finley can do everything he can for the most part, for a big body who rebounds well.

Again tho...I know Barry is not exactly a young buck either but the Spurs added yet another older player who will be in retirement pretty soon here.
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2008, 11:30:38 AM »
Why the hell did Seattle do this trade?   Just to make a trade?  Is this "Mom all the kids in my class are going to the concert, can I go" type deal?   Kurt Thomas was playing very well for his age.  Much more then Seattle could have hoped for when they originally got him.  He was impressive on the glass and I think this is excellent for the Spurs.  I wouldn't call it panic mode.  I would call it a smart move.  One they should have made regardless of all these big moves in the West.  They gave up Barry, which Finley can do everything he can for the most part, for a big body who rebounds well.

Again tho...I know Barry is not exactly a young buck either but the Spurs added yet another older player who will be in retirement pretty soon here.

Because Thomas was playing well for his age and Seattle is not in it for the wins this year.  It allows them to look at their younger guys and also netted them another late first rounder.

Actually there was an interesting angle in the SA paper about all these trades.  The Spurs actually save about $500,000 on salaries which should move them below the luxury tax threshhold.  And by doing that instead of paying a small amount of tax they are in line to share in the tax paid by the other teams.  In short it could mean $2 million for the Spurs.

Then there is the future...
The Spurs have young big men in the NBDL & Europe as well as replacements for Bowen & Horry on the team already.  There will always be aging vets looking for a ring that will sign with a winner.

Lakers already have $75 million in contracts for next year.
Suns have $70 million committed to 8 players.
Mavs have $70 million committed to 7 players.

Result:  every signing this off season will cost those teams double.  An MLE will cost closer to $10 mil than $5 mil. 
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2008, 11:36:58 AM »

Because Thomas was playing well for his age and Seattle is not in it for the wins this year.  It allows them to look at their younger guys and also netted them another late first rounder.

Actually there was an interesting angle in the SA paper about all these trades.  The Spurs actually save about $500,000 on salaries which should move them below the luxury tax threshhold.  And by doing that instead of paying a small amount of tax they are in line to share in the tax paid by the other teams.  In short it could mean $2 million for the Spurs.

Then there is the future...
The Spurs have young big men in the NBDL & Europe as well as replacements for Bowen & Horry on the team already.  There will always be aging vets looking for a ring that will sign with a winner.

Lakers already have $75 million in contracts for next year.
Suns have $70 million committed to 8 players.
Mavs have $70 million committed to 7 players.

Result:  every signing this off season will cost those teams double.  An MLE will cost closer to $10 mil than $5 mil. 

Right but don't you think they should have gone after maybe more picks, maybe some of the rights to the guys you are speaking on instead of getting an aging 3 point shooter?  Unless of course Barry was only included cuz his contract happened to match.

I have faith in the front office of the Spurs that they will address the age issue AFTER this season.  I am just saying that they are going to need to address Kurt Thomas on top of Bowen and Horry.  Not a huge task but another task none the less.

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2008, 11:56:08 AM »
Duncan Fabbie Thomas frontline.

Will the Spurs ever play this in the playoffs? :P

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2008, 12:05:29 PM »

Yea they are going to use it against Gasol, Bynum, Odom  :D

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2008, 12:05:54 PM »

Possibly against Bynum, Gasol, Odom.  But I doubt that combination hits the floor for the Spurs.  And Bowen/Udoka can play Odom at SF with the ability to hit the 3 when open.  

Only other team could be Denver with Camby, K-Mart, Melo but again Bowen/Udoka can play Melo.  In fact Finley does a great job on Melo which leaves Bowen to play Iverson.
-Moody Blues

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2008, 12:07:54 PM »
Desperation move by the Spurs to keep up with the Suns.  It won't work. 

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2008, 12:23:49 PM »

I hope my keyboard doesn't  pffft, zzzttt, short...pfft...out.  Damn wipe...zzzttt...up...the coffee.

-Moody Blues

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2008, 12:28:23 PM »

I hope my keyboard doesn't  pffft, zzzttt, short...pfft...out.  Damn wipe...zzzttt...up...the coffee.

Yeah.....The Shaq move was to counter SA as much as it was to counter LA.  I'd go as far to say that they know they can't run down the throats of SA and win a series.  They know they could do it against the Lakers so going more half court wasn't exactly fully to counter them.